Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 49

post #721 of 15776

You're going to have one requirement that's not going to be met on every suggestion below $1000. Maybe it's time to make compromises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustA View Post

 

Do you have any problem with my requirements? By the way, the only amp/DAC offering (mentioned here so far) that I don't find pretty enough for the price is the Audio GD stuff... That's all.

post #722 of 15776
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustA View Post

Do you have any problem with my requirements? By the way, the only amp/DAC offering (mentioned here so far) that I don't find pretty enough for the price is the Audio GD stuff... That's all.

Not at all. I was just kindly reminding Maxvla of your lofty requirements. smily_headphones1.gif

-Daniel
post #723 of 15776

Dude, you can budget the Benchmark DAC1

 

Bam

 

 

Or, er, is that the same as your current setup?


Edited by paradoxper - 3/7/13 at 3:18pm
post #724 of 15776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post


Is it not cheaper since you are in Europe?

 

Not really... It costs even more than 2000USD ( = 1950 Eur) here =/

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls Generation View Post

You're going to have one requirement that's not going to be met on every suggestion below $1000. Maybe it's time to make compromises.

 

I have done that already... However, I am in no hurry to upgrade. I am happy with what I have and therefore I am basically trying to get familiar with what is available. If there is nothing good enough for me, I will simply wait.

 

And as I said, it does not have to be bellow 1000USD. Let's say up to 1200USD new.

post #725 of 15776
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

Dude, you can budget the Benchmark DAC1

 

Bam

 

Yeah but why should I spend that much for a device that will sound pretty much the same as what I have? I really don't have money to waste...

post #726 of 15776
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustA View Post

 

Yeah but why should I spend that much for a device that will sound pretty much the same as what I have? I really don't have money to waste...

Because it has better knobs. Duh!

post #727 of 15776
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

Because it has better knobs. Duh!

 

Yeah, it has better versatility and look... But it's not worth 1000USD, at least not for me.

post #728 of 15776
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustA View Post

 

Do you have any problem with my requirements? By the way, the only amp/DAC offering (mentioned here so far) that I don't find pretty enough for the price is the Audio GD stuff... That's all.

I think the Audio-GD stuff does look better in person than pictures and the newer designs have a little better appearance than some of the older ones.  While I can't say I agree with everything you've wrote recently, I can sympathize since I'm probably on the poorer side and probably have no business owning an HD-800 and therefore am pretty obsessive about high performance/cost ratio.  

 

I think the best for the money Audio-GD combo right now would be to go with a SA-31 + NFB 2.32. Total comes in under $1000 and would be extremely flexible with inputs and outputs, remote, and filter options, and should drive essentially any dynamic and planar headphone satisfactorily to include the HE-6.  I know it's a little ugly but I don't think your going to get anything close in it's price range that looks better. 

post #729 of 15776

Oh wow, $200? That changes EVERYTHING.

 

Seriously though, what's available is what was suggested by experienced people. With such a limited budget I personally think you're better off buying used. Further, your requirement of it being a Amp/DAC in one box combo will really limit your choices, let alone aesthetics, number of input/outputs, and the fact that you're dismissing stuff off as "not better performing," when you haven't even listened to them or gave them a good long session. Nothing's going to change for a while either because the demand isn't there. We all have to make compromises; welcome to reality. You've already dismissed all of the best options for you as not being 'worth it.' I don't know anymore.

 

Good luck on your journey. It's going to be a long rough road ahead, tougher than most others'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustA View Post

 

Not really... It costs even more than 2000USD ( = 1950 Eur) here =/

 

 

I have done that already... However, I am in no hurry to upgrade. I am happy with what I have and therefore I am basically trying to get familiar with what is available. If there is nothing good enough for me, I will simply wait.

 

And as I said, it does not have to be bellow 1000USD. Let's say up to 1200USD new.


Edited by Girls Generation - 3/7/13 at 3:25pm
post #730 of 15776
Lolz. Sennheiser HD 800 Appreciation Thread v.3 in five, four...

-Daniel
post #731 of 15776
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post

Lolz. Sennheiser HD 800 Appreciation Thread v.3 in five, four...

-Daniel

 

If you don't stop posting useless posts, maybe...

 

I just wanted to get some suggestions what to buy, that's all. Before, I only stated my opinion that I don't consider HD800 as difficult-to-drive headphone. I wanted to say that because I resisted for a long time because of people talking about HD800 "being extremely dificult to drive well etc.". I am happy that I bought the headphones and it I really enjoy the sound even on O2 that is most probably the worst amplifier in the world for many head-fiers, it seems.


Edited by RustA - 3/7/13 at 3:28pm
post #732 of 15776

It's okay. We understand that you have lower expectations than the rest of us. But that doesn't equate to unanimous fact. It's just an opinion, and you know what they say about opinions. They're like a-holes, everyone's got one. We've given you many suggestions, all of which you immediately dismissed as it did not meet your many requirements. We've tried to communicate to you that the HD800s improve with better gear, but not in the quantity that you expect. We've tried to tell you measurements isn't everything to audio. However, I don't think a thing has changed since the beginning of all this fiasco so...

 

/discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustA View Post

 

If you stop posting useless posts, maybe...

 

I just wanted to get some suggestions what to buy, that's all. Before, I only stated my opinion that I don't consider HD800 as difficult-to-drive headphone. I wanted to say that because I resisted for a long time because of people talking about HD800 "being extremely dificult to drive well etc.".


Edited by Girls Generation - 3/7/13 at 3:30pm
post #733 of 15776
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustA View Post

 

If you stop posting useless posts, maybe...

 

I just wanted to get some suggestions what to buy, that's all. Before, I only stated my opinion that I don't consider HD800 as difficult-to-drive headphone. I wanted to say that because I resisted for a long time because of people talking about HD800 "being extremely dificult to drive well etc.". I am happy that I bought the headphones and it I really enjoy the sound even on O2 that is most probably the worst amplifier in the world for many head-fiers, it seems.

You've missed the context within "difficult to drive."

 

 

 

IBTL

post #734 of 15776
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

You've missed the context within "difficult to drive."

 

 

 

IBTL

 

People are talking that with SS, they sound harsh and sibilant... And that you NEED a tube amp in order to mitigate that unbearably emphasised treble and bring up that unexistant bass. And that HD800 sounds very bad on O2 etc.

 

I enjoy HD800 on O2 much more that I enjoyed LCD-2 with the same amp. I am looking forward to own some better amplifier but I just wanted to say that I don't find O2 horrible with HD800, at all.

post #735 of 15776

I found the HD800 terrid with the O2/ODAC. Again, differences in expecations.

That you need a tube amp for the HD800 is just cliche given by people who've dismissed the HD800s after a quick listen on SS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustA View Post

 

People are talking that with SS, they sound harsh and sibilant... And that you NEED a tube amp in order to mitigate that unbearably emphasised treble and bring up that unexistant bass. And that HD800 sounds very bad on O2 etc.

 

I enjoy HD800 on O2 much more that I enjoyed LCD-2 with the same amp. I am looking forward to own some better amplifier but I just wanted to say that I don't find O2 horrible with HD800, at all.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread