or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 456

post #6826 of 19911
Via a transparent dac of course.....
post #6827 of 19911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexon View Post
 

Does anyone here find HD800 to be to polite? Something missing in attack and punch. I don't get this. They are obviously very dynamic, I would say more than K702 but when it comes to orchestral climaxes e.g. they just don't do it right IMHO. Thats also very noticeable in every record with decently captured Steinway. It sounds 'smaller' on HD800 compared to K702 or even HD600. Its easier to follow music's rhythmical structure on K702 than on HD800.:confused_face:

 

I really love the Senns and can't get enough of that extremely resolving sound but I found my self listening more and more to chamber music with them because of these 'cons'. I highly doubt it, but could it be my amp? I've tried 4 so far and currently running them with HA-160 as I like it best among these.

What other amps have you tried? The HD800 as people have said before has a very high ceiling. Maybe try it out with a TOTL amp. I am very happy with WA2/HD800 but with the right tubes. 

 

People talk about GSXMK2 and Luxman p1-u for solid state and WA5/22 and the DNA stratus for tube TOTL amps. 

 

I have not heard the HA-160 but maybe the HD800 deserves a little more. 

post #6828 of 19911
+1 on that I found the burson a little aggressive. Plus it had a noisy floor! I can't deal with hiss. I've reached my end game rig with mac>iTunes >pure music>HDVD800> balanced cable>HD800/HD650. I'm still going to buy a crack because I want to build an amp plus I've never heard a tube amp!
post #6829 of 19911

Agreed to a point. If you feed a good amp with the DragonFly versus a Rega DAC (I have both), the bits sound much better with the Rega. :wink_face: That lack of sound signature is apparent with the rest of the chain. I thin we're saying the same thing.  Start out with a good recording, you will be rewarded.  Up the ante on the chain and you will reap greater rewards.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by James-uk View Post

I hear that to Mickey, but I think it had more to do with the recording/ mastering. That's the beautiful thing about the 800s, they are so transparent they can sound distant and have weak attack with one recording and they can sound warm , intimate and have aggressive attack with another. They don't have a 'sound signature' . They just allow the 1 and 0s to pass through .

Edited by MickeyVee - 12/10/13 at 4:45pm
post #6830 of 19911
Quote:
Originally Posted by James-uk View Post

+1 on that I found the burson a little aggressive. Plus it had a noisy floor! I can't deal with hiss. I've reached my end game rig with mac>iTunes >pure music>HDVD800> balanced cable>HD800/HD650. I'm still going to buy a crack because I want to build an amp plus I've never heard a tube amp!

I plan on building a crack next year as well. I also heard HDVD800 with the HD800. I liked it, sounded very good. I will have 3 OTL's by next year and then it will be on to the DNA stratus i think. 

post #6831 of 19911
I asked the Mrs for the crack for Xmas and she laughed at me! Guess she doesn't want another reason for me to come to my man cave . Does any one else get the impression that everyone around them doesn't get the audio hobby at all?!
post #6832 of 19911
Quote:
Originally Posted by James-uk View Post

I asked the Mrs for the crack for Xmas and she laughed at me! Guess she doesn't want another reason for me to come to my man cave . Does any one else get the impression that everyone around them doesn't get the audio hobby at all?!

yea, totally. My friends think im sick but i also have guitar gear lust which i have spent even more money on. If i sold my acoustic i could nearly afford a WA5, sometimes i tempted. 

post #6833 of 19911
The most annoying part of it all is when you get a friend round and you get them to listen to the HD800s and they say 'yeah , sounds good that, really clear....... ' I'm like 'WTF they sound bloody amazing show some appreciation ! ' smily_headphones1.gif
post #6834 of 19911
Quote:
Originally Posted by James-uk View Post

The most annoying part of it all is when you get a friend round and you get them to listen to the HD800s and they say 'yeah , sounds good that, really clear....... ' I'm like 'WTF they sound bloody amazing show some appreciation ! ' smily_headphones1.gif

You know you are on Head-Fi when this comes up ^ ^ ^ there is a busy thread devoted to this topic.  The HD800 is like a fine wine.

 

If Ripple is what you are used to, and what you expect, then fine wines don't taste so fine.

post #6835 of 19911
Which thread? Sound like a good read.
post #6836 of 19911
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post
 

I plan on building a crack next year as well. I also heard HDVD800 with the HD800. I liked it, sounded very good. I will have 3 OTL's by next year and then it will be on to the DNA stratus i think. 

 

Take a look on EarMax Pro Silver Edition OTL amp. Not bad.

post #6837 of 19911
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUMAY408 View Post
 

You know you are on Head-Fi when this comes up ^ ^ ^ there is a busy thread devoted to this topic.  The HD800 is like a fine wine.

 

If Ripple is what you are used to, and what you expect, then fine wines don't taste so fine.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by James-uk View Post

Which thread? Sound like a good read.

 

This one perhaps??

 Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II 

post #6838 of 19911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexon View Post
 

Does anyone here find HD800 to be to polite? Something missing in attack and punch. I don't get this. They are obviously very dynamic, I would say more than K702 but when it comes to orchestral climaxes e.g. they just don't do it right IMHO. Thats also very noticeable in every record with decently captured Steinway. It sounds 'smaller' on HD800 compared to K702 or even HD600. Its easier to follow music's rhythmical structure on K702 than on HD800.:confused_face:

 

I really love the Senns and can't get enough of that extremely resolving sound but I found my self listening more and more to chamber music with them because of these 'cons'. I highly doubt it, but could it be my amp? I've tried 4 so far and currently running them with HA-160 as I like it best among these.

 

I have the complete opposite feeling.

 

My HD800 is the most impactful and bodied Headphone I've never heard to enjoy Orchestral work ( Especially for classical Iistening I owned a K501 before my HD800 .. and I really LOVED my K501)  . For some Music I think HD800 hits a bit too harder but for classical, HD800 does the job so perfectly well to my hears.   Powerful pieces as Berlioz orchestral pieces are perfectly rendered.  Bass are so deep , detailed & crystal Clear . I can hear Cellos , Doublebasses , Bassons , timbales as I was in a real concert hall. :basshead: 


Edited by Sorrodje - 12/11/13 at 12:48am
post #6839 of 19911
Quick question folks....without searching too deep into thread trying to find my answer.

Can the stock hd800 cable be re-terminated to 4 pin XLR? (Is the stock cable 4 individual wires all the way to the plug)

Thanks in advance
post #6840 of 19911
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrobe View Post

Quick question folks....without searching too deep into thread trying to find my answer.

Can the stock hd800 cable be re-terminated to 4 pin XLR? (Is the stock cable 4 individual wires all the way to the plug)

Thanks in advance

yes, you get two connectors going into each earcup so you have full 4-pin connection

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread