Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 451

post #6751 of 18513
You should all go listen to Pick up the Pieces by Average White Band. Fantastic on the HD800's.

Impressions so far, a little bright with my Soloist. Hoping to get a Crack kit for my birthday Friday so tubes should help a bit. Definitely a superior headphone to the T1 but not sure if I like it more
post #6752 of 18513
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post
 

 

thanks for posting, i will be sure to check it out. 

 

Just back from the pub. Full of Guinness! Feeling great. 

 

 

;)

 

 

 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A1834-6AS7G-OSRAM-BROWN-BASE-NOS-VALVE-TUBE-PAIR-M1-/370629001234

post #6753 of 18513
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchGFX View Post

You should all go listen to Pick up the Pieces by Average White Band. Fantastic on the HD800's.

Impressions so far, a little bright with my Soloist. Hoping to get a Crack kit for my birthday Friday so tubes should help a bit. Definitely a superior headphone to the T1 but not sure if I like it more

Nice blast from the past!

post #6754 of 18513

Ok there are some albums i still prefer on t1 over hd800. Namely Paul simon's "one trick pony" and George Duke's - "dont let go"

post #6755 of 18513
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post
 

Ok there are some albums i still prefer on t1 over hd800. Namely Paul simon's "one trick pony" and George Duke's - "dont let go"

For me the T1 is better at fast moving Rock and harder bass numbers, acoustic and harmonies the HD800 wins hands down.  I feel the HD800 is capable of digging deeper into songs, it's like doubling your albums, it changes the audio that much.

post #6756 of 18513
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUMAY408 View Post
 

For me the T1 is better at fast moving Rock and harder bass numbers, acoustic and harmonies the HD800 wins hands down.  I feel the HD800 is capable of digging deeper into songs, it's like doubling your albums, it changes the audio that much.

yea im having great fun now swapping headphones. The HD800 keeps getting better though its a lot smoother now. its like 70% percent of my collection suits HD800 and the other 30% goes to the T1. 

post #6757 of 18513
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post
 

yea im having great fun now swapping headphones. The HD800 keeps getting better though its a lot smoother now. its like 70% percent of my collection suits HD800 and the other 30% goes to the T1. 

I'm happy with the pairing, the weight with the HE400's really affected my HP choice, heavy HP's just discourage my desire to put them on.

post #6758 of 18513
Grooving on the new cd by Dr Lonnie Smith, In the Beginning Vol 1 and 2. This is a fabulous live recording featuring all Smith penned tunes. The good doctor is flying hi in the Hammond B3 organ, in Octet mode. Yousa! Sounds really, really good on the HD800. you are there good.
post #6759 of 18513
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post
 

yea im having great fun now swapping headphones. The HD800 keeps getting better though its a lot smoother now. its like 70% percent of my collection suits HD800 and the other 30% goes to the T1. 

You are not helping.  :D

If you said 80% to 20%, I would have ordered the HD800 already.  :deadhorse:

post #6760 of 18513
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

You are not helping.  :D

If you said 80% to 20%, I would have ordered the HD800 already.  :deadhorse:

what do you listen to mostly?

 

you have Wa22? if so i would go with hd800. its supposed to be a great pairing. the t1 might sound a little light on wa22 from what i hear. 


Edited by magiccabbage - 12/2/13 at 8:05pm
post #6761 of 18513
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post
 

what do you listen to mostly?

 

you have Wa22? if so i would go with hd800. its supposed to be a great pairing. the t1 might sound a little light on wa22 from what i hear. 

I was teasing you.  :p That's what DG told me too but she also likes her T1 a lot.  I was lucky to use a friend's HD800 for 2 weeks straight on my WA22 so I know how the combo sounds like.  I am just wondering about the T1.

post #6762 of 18513

the HD 800s unique bass decay makes them pair better with the WA22. 

 

the WA22 is a fantastic amp, just compared to the OTLs, it doesn't have the same bass body or punch. it focuses more on the midrange and soundstage and air. its alot more open sounding vs the WA2. 

 

the T1 was nice with the WA22 especially with rock music, it makes the T1's slightly recessed midrange really come out, its really magical to hear the T1 have such clarity and midrange richness with the WA22. but, yes, the bass does suffer a bit, its too light for my tastes, but i can see the T1/WA22 combo being great for many people depending on their tastes. do they want a huge soundstage and a magic midrange (wa22), or do they want a silky smooth fun sounding amp (wa2).

 

the HD 800 works very well with both WA22 and WA2, and regardless of which one, i  think both amps need top tubes to get to where i want them to be. the WA2 with the wrong tubes will be too veiled and too smooth with the hd 800. hd 800s are one of those few headphones that really doesn't like to have too much coloration in the amp. it easily displays a sort of cloudy veil in the sound thats very noticeable. the WA22 is the same, and it needs good tubes otherwise it can be too lush sounding. GEC 6AS7G tubes and fancy NOS rectifiers work best with HD 800 ;)


Edited by Dubstep Girl - 12/2/13 at 9:52pm
post #6763 of 18513

@DG, you are really bad influence!  :)

 

I got a pair of TS 5998 coming and just won a Ken rad vt 231 6SN7 this afternoon.  I like the grey glass RCA you recommended but sometimes I find them a touch dark and too lush for my taste though the bottom end is nice and weighty.  I hope ken rad will be a touch brighter and give me a little gain in texture while keeping the bottom just as good.

 

I am still watching out for 422a but it's quite a fight.  I am tempted to just grab a pair and stash one away.  :D 

post #6764 of 18513
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

@DG, you are really bad influence!  :)

 

I got a pair of TS 5998 coming and just won a Ken rad vt 231 6SN7 this afternoon.  I like the grey glass RCA you recommended but sometimes I find them a touch dark and too lush for my taste though the bottom end is nice and weighty.  I hope ken rad will be a touch brighter and give me a little gain in texture while keeping the bottom just as good.

 

I am still watching out for 422a but it's quite a fight.  I am tempted to just grab a pair and stash one away.  :D 

 

the pair for 779 right now looks good :D

 

i did end up buying a spare. so i don't have a pair, but 2 singles, a black plate and an older grey plate. the grey plates are especially nice but i think they kinda sound the same.

post #6765 of 18513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post
 

 

the pair for 779 right now looks good :D

 

i did end up buying a spare. so i don't have a pair, but 2 singles, a black plate and an older grey plate. the grey plates are especially nice but i think they kinda sound the same.

I've been staring at that pair for 2 weeks now and the price still stays the same.  Dang it!   :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread