Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 45

post #661 of 12399
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

Might have to go after the Conductor.  It's a bit more expensive.  I can't think of anything else..  

 

This is a price range of Benchmark DAC2 HGC... If I had 2000USD to spend, i would go for DAC2 and quit head-fi forever ,-)

 

But thank you... I will just continue in my search and hope.

post #662 of 12399
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustA View Post

 

This is a price range of Benchmark DAC2 HGC... If I had 2000USD to spend, i would go for DAC2 and quit head-fi forever ,-)

 

But thank you... I will just continue in my search and hope.

 

 

How about DIY?

post #663 of 12399
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post

I'm not telling you how to spend your money-I'm telling you to stop telling people with real world experience in matters where you don't have that same experience-what they hear or cannot hear. That is insane.

In regards to your under 1K combo for the HD800 (now we are getting somewhere!), I haven't tried a lot. I am however, a huge fan of Audio GD's 1704 dacs-so if he has a combo unit in that price range, that would be my (albeit, blind) recommendation. Best of luck!

-Daniel

 

It could be up to 1200USD or something like that... But for that kind of money, the amp/DAC unit must look like 1000USD device. My desktop O2/ODAC looks 3x better than all the Audio GD stuff, unfortunately.

 

The device must outperform O2/ODAC at least a bit, must have plenty of inputs/outputs and look good, at least. The tonality could be neutral or slightly to the darker side.

post #664 of 12399
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

How about DIY?

 

No luck in searching for 1000USD DIY amp/DAC in one unit with good look and versatility so far =/

post #665 of 12399
Check this one out-I'm sure there's a thread around dedicated to it as well. Not sure how it pairs particularly with the HD800, but the tonal richness of Kingwa's 1704 dacs are a great match for the Senn imo.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/RE5.2/RE5.2EN.htm

-Daniel
post #666 of 12399
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post

Check this one out-I'm sure there's a thread around dedicated to it as well. Not sure how it pairs particularly with the HD800, but the tonal richness of Kingwa's 1704 dacs are a great match for the Senn imo.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/RE5.2/RE5.2EN.htm

-Daniel

 

Thanks but it's only a DAC... And looks... well... not very good. As I said, it must be amp/DAC in one unit.

 

Woo Audio WA7 looks quite good but the DAC is not exactly great and it does not offer much inputs/outputs. W4S mPre is primarily a pre-amp with DAC "only" integrated inside and headphone out as a side feature, not very appealing. Teac UD-501 looks great but the headphone out is most probably weak.

post #667 of 12399
My bad I got that one confused with the 10.32, which is way out of your budget...

-Daniel

edit: I happen to love the industrial, no frills, all business design og AGD gear, but can understand someone thinking it's unattractive all the same.
Edited by BournePerfect - 3/7/13 at 1:14pm
post #668 of 12399
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustA View Post

 

Thanks but it's only a DAC... And looks... well... not very good. As I said, it must be amp/DAC in one unit.

 

Woo Audio WA7 looks quite good but the DAC is not exactly great and it does not offer much inputs/outputs. W4S mPre is primarily a pre-amp with DAC "only" integrated inside and headphone out as a side feature, not very appealing. Teac UD-501 looks great but the headphone out is most probably weak.

 

 

Ha ha ha ha  RustA man..  I guess your going to have to split it up.  Who knows what Schiit is cooking up, but we won't know until it drops - (I'm just speculating).  Take a look at the Lynx Hilo - might be of interested to you.  

 

I just don't like DACs that try at amping.  and amps that try at DAC (ing) blink.gif  Never going to be even as far as I can see.  

post #669 of 12399
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post

My bad I got that on confused with the 10.32, which is way out of your budget...

-Daniel

 

I think there is 10.32 version that is well within my budget... But the problem is that it's not probably worth the money over O2/ODAC, and looks very cheap. I don't really feel that I HAVE TO upgrade and therefore I want to be 100% satisfied before purchasing.

 

Performance, versatility and at least acceptable look reflecting the high price tag I will spend. Maybe for someone, 1000USD is cheap but for me, it's a very high price and therefore I should get a perfect device for this money to be happy enough.

post #670 of 12399

I'm going to be rude here and ask you, why in the world are you going to spend more money when you don't even know how to appreciate the subtle aspects of the sound? What are you trying to gain? Seems like the only aspect of sound you acknowledge, other than basic frequency range, is detail. Oh the hypocrisy.

 

I suppose you've never heard of 'fluid, liquid, or effortless' presentation? 'Realism' that from time to time raises your hair?

 

I think you're still missing the fact that the law of diminishing returns is already assumed, and as one gets into hi-fi, the differences are more subtle even though the words you read might imply otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustA View Post

 

Eh? Do you realise that there are people who really care about their money very much? I have people who I want to make happy, I have another things to spend money for in order to survive and I simply didn't hear any spectacular differences with sub1000USD devices I have heard so far. O2/ODAC outperformed them all. And at last, I am not willing to spend more on amp or DAC than on the headphone itself. The headphone is what makes the real difference, not amp or DAC, in my view. By the way, it's the music that counts even more than the headphones... At least this is how I see it. So I am going to spend the highest amount of money towards the music.

 

By the way, I am in a search for a quality 1000USD amp/DAC in one for HD800, preproman can confirm this. ,-) However, nothing seems to be impressive enough... If you can suggest anything worth it, I would gladly appreciate that.

 

I like HD800 that much that I am not interested in any other pair of headphones. Now I am trying to find a very good and versatile amp/DAC unit for it... No luck still.

post #671 of 12399
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustA View Post

 

I think there is 10.32 version that is well within my budget... But the problem is that it's not probably worth the money over O2/ODAC, and looks very cheap. I don't really feel that I HAVE TO upgrade and therefore I want to be 100% satisfied before purchasing.

 

Performance, versatility and at least acceptable look reflecting the high price tag I will spend. Maybe for someone, 1000USD is cheap but for me, it's a very high price and therefore I should get a perfect device for this money to be happy enough.

What's your budget again? If it was me I'd save up for Benchmark DAC2

post #672 of 12399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls Generation View Post

I'm going to be rude here and ask you, why in the world are you going to spend more money when you don't even know how to appreciate the subtle aspects of the sound? What are you trying to gain? Seems like the only aspect of sound you acknowledge, other than basic frequency range, is detail. Oh the hypocrisy.

 

I suppose you've never heard of 'fluid, liquid, or effortless' presentation? 'Realism' that from time to time raises your hair?

 

I think you're still missing the fact that the law of diminishing returns is already assumed, and as one gets into hi-fi, the differences are more subtle even though the words you read might imply otherwise.

 

I want to get more versatility (inputs and outputs, more than 24/96 PCM) along with some noticable improvement over O2/ODAC if I am going to spend 3x more (however, not expecting wonders).

post #673 of 12399
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0SLobos View Post

What's your budget again? If it was me I'd save up for Benchmark DAC2

 

Around 1000USD... Really considering to save up for DAC2 but it's extremely out of my budget. Even 1000USD is much but I am willing to get the money somehow and withdraw for several years from the market.

post #674 of 12399
The 10.32 is twice your budget...and I'm not quite understanding how a 30 lb pure black behemoth seems 'cheap' compared to the flyweight that is the Objective stack you have. You are also putting the measurement blinders on when you claim it won't sound better than the O-stack...again you have ZERO experience and credibility when it comes to a highend 1704 Kingwa product. I'm done trying to reason with the unreasonable here-but hopefully mine and other's experiences will be beneficial to you after you've pecked your way out of your shell.

*trades ZDSE for O2, quits Headfi*

-Daniel
post #675 of 12399
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post

The 10.32 is twice your budget...and I'm not quite understanding how a 30 lb pure black behemoth seems 'cheap' compared to the flyweight that is the Objective stack you have. You are also putting the measurement blinders on when you claim it won't sound better than the O-stack...again you have ZERO experience and credibility when it comes to a highend 1704 Kingwa product. I'm done trying to reason with the unreasonable here-but hopefully mine and other's experiences will be beneficial to you after you've pecked your way out of your shell.

*trades ZDSE for O2, quits Headfi*

-Daniel

 

Rly? Have a look: http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB-10.1/NFB10.1EN.htm

 

It looks very cheap to me, that's all. I am not going to spend 600 USD on some generic black box with cheap DIY buttons on it... Sorry, I am really not.

 

As for the opinion, I have read that NFB-10 is not better than O2/ODAC several times... I don't expect it to be really better then. Maybe it is a bit but it won't justify the price at all for me.

 

There is another version that could actually be better: http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/Reference10/RE10EN.htm

but is out of my budget.


Edited by RustA - 3/7/13 at 1:34pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread