Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 440

post #6586 of 18478
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

and there is nothing inferior about lyr/bf either so don't make it sound like such.

 

HD800 sound more than decent on my Fiio E17/E9K combo.

i did find the lyr (mine had matsu****a 6922 tubes) was not particularly good for the hd800 though. specifically the bass impact and extension was noticeably worse than other amps i've compared to (eg v200, wa2). actually even the $250 little dot mk3 did a better job on the hd800 than the lyr IMO. other areas the lyr was fine, the low frequencies were where i noticed the biggest difference. the lyr was noticeably better than the OTLs I had at driving my he-500 though

 

but i guess i wouldnt call the lyr inferior overall, but for the hd800 you can definite do better for the money (for less money even, if you dont have any orthos). of course this is all from my own experience

post #6587 of 18478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd007 View Post
 

i did find the lyr (mine had matsu****a 6922 tubes) was not particularly good for the hd800 though. specifically the bass impact and extension was noticeably worse than other amps i've compared to (eg v200, wa2). actually even the $250 little dot mk3 did a better job on the hd800 than the lyr IMO. other areas the lyr was fine, the low frequencies were where i noticed the biggest difference. the lyr was noticeably better than the OTLs I had at driving my he-500 though

 

but i guess i wouldnt call the lyr inferior overall, but for the hd800 you can definite do better for the money (for less money even, if you dont have any orthos). of course this is all from my own experience

 

i think the WA2 is leagues ahead of the Lyr as well when it comes to the hd 800.the lyr isn't a bad amp with the right tubes, just that OTLs are very nice with hd 800. and with the GEC 6AS7G and the WA2, i think its on the level of just about any other system ;)

post #6588 of 18478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post
 

 

i think the WA2 is leagues ahead of the Lyr as well when it comes to the hd 800.the lyr isn't a bad amp with the right tubes, just that OTLs are very nice with hd 800. and with the GEC 6AS7G and the WA2, i think its on the level of just about any other system ;)

which is why you should sell me a pair. ;)

post #6589 of 18478

i would charge about as much as the people on ebay are selling them for. about 500-600 a pair. and i have 4 pairs

 

i got 2 pairsof the curved base, both are basically NOS/NIB. and the straight base, one pair is completely NIB and the other is slightly used.

post #6590 of 18478
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

 

 

It took me a couple days to wrap by mind around the presentation. Then I was able to just close my eyes and get lost. Just a beautiful hp.

Beautiful indeed. I often think how could these be improved in SQ for my personal preference.. And in all honesty I wouldn't change a thing. 

post #6591 of 18478

I have a question about the HD800s and output impedance.

 

I'm currently using my pair with a Benchmark DAC2 HGC which has an output impedance of close to zero. I read recently on one of the HD800 threads (and I can't find it now) that the HD800s sound better with a higher output impedance (in fact, I think the new Sennheiser amps are in the 40 ohm range or so), otherwise the bass impact is lacking which is what I appear to be experiencing. Frankly, the bass impact from my ES5's with an AK120 is much better on the same material than with my desktop rig.  

 

Have any of you experienced the same with an amp with low output impedance?  Benchmark claims that the zero output impedance provides the best control of the transducers, but based upon the descriptions I'm reading here, I'm thinking that this isn't a good match for the HD800s.

 

I am thinking about getting a SS amp for the HD800s, so should I be looking for an output impedance greater than zero, in the range of the Sennheiser amps or something else?

 

Thanks.

 

ChrisG

post #6592 of 18478

I personally experienced the HD800 with my Corda Jazz and Jazz output impedance is near to zero. Bass was equal or even better ( better extension)  than what I experienced from my Tube amp. and this tube amp proposes both transformed (mesured 10 Ohms output) and OTL ( far more Ohms but I didn't find any reliable source to prove a precise value) ouputs ;)

 

I experienced far more differences with different sources than with diffferent amps. 

post #6593 of 18478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrodje View Post
 

I personally experienced the HD800 with my Corda Jazz and Jazz output impedance is near to zero. Bass was equal or even better ( better extension)  than what I experienced from my Tube amp. and this tube amp proposes both transformed (mesured 10 Ohms output) and OTL ( far more Ohms but I didn't find any reliable source to prove a precise value) ouputs ;)

 

I experienced far more differences with different sources than with diffferent amps. 

when you say sources do you mean DAC's or the music itself. 

post #6594 of 18478
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post
 

when you say sources do you mean DAC's or the music itself. 

 

Good question. 

 

Indeed, The most important thing to my hears after the headphone itsef is the Music itself. I'm sad because a big part of my collection is near to unlistenable  with my HD800. 

 

But when I say sources here  I meant  DAC. I tried many and I heard substantial differences with different consequences on HD800 sound. 

post #6595 of 18478
You aren't comparing apples to apples though. A full size open headphone is at a disadvantage in bass by design when compared to an iem. Not only is the transducer much further away from the ear drum, it is a much larger driver to move, and it isn't a sealed environment, the biggest factor.
post #6596 of 18478
I thought about that after I posted. Thanks for confirming
post #6597 of 18478

How are the Woo audio 2 with the HD800, anyone here have any good experience with it?

post #6598 of 18478
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleaK View Post
 

How are the Woo audio 2 with the HD800, anyone here have any good experience with it?

Its brilliant! People talk about T1/WA2 which is brilliant. I prefer HD800 with it though. An great pairing. The HD800 sounds so warm and has great dept - doesn't loose any detail really. The bass is great as well which really surprised me when i heard it first. I could not believe how good the bass was! 

post #6599 of 18478

Oh man.. I've read so many great things about the WA2 HD800 pairing that I'm questioning my decision to go with the WA7.  I got the WA7 for its flexibility but am seriously considering the WA2.  After owning the Lyr, I was driving myself crazy with tube rolling and don't want to go back to that insanity (for me).  Is the WA2 in stock configuration fabulous with the WA2?

post #6600 of 18478
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyVee View Post
 

Oh man.. I've read so many great things about the WA2 HD800 pairing that I'm questioning my decision to go with the WA7.  I got the WA7 for its flexibility but am seriously considering the WA2.  After owning the Lyr, I was driving myself crazy with tube rolling and don't want to go back to that insanity (for me).  Is the WA2 in stock configuration fabulous with the WA2?

To be honest you will probably have to roll tubes. I auditioned the Hd800's on 3 separate occasions and each time i had it for the day. I purchased it recently and it will arrive on Wednesday. I can try it with stock tubes when it comes if you want. Another thing - people say that with old recordings the hd800 can be awful but i listened to 2 whole sam cooke albums straight through with HD800/WA2 and the sound was amazing even though these albums wee recorded in the 50's. I just really like the pairing. You should try go to a meet or something to hear it. Its funny, i actually had to organise the first irish headphone meet to hear the hd800's.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread