or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 437

post #6541 of 24367

My HD800's have finally shipped! Cant wait till next week. :D:D:D

post #6542 of 24367
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post
 

My HD800's have finally shipped! Cant wait till next week. :D:D:D

Nice! Welcome to the club!

post #6543 of 24367
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post
 

My HD800's have finally shipped! Cant wait till next week. :D:D:D

:beerchug: 

post #6544 of 24367

Thanks guys. :beerchug:

post #6545 of 24367
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post
 

Welcome back. I've recently been enjoying the HD600's (for a change) along side the 800's. I totally love the sound of all of the Senn's flagships, but the HD800's really are on another level. You can adapt to the 600/650 again and fully appreciate them, but just as long as you don't listen to the HD800's in the process, because as soon as you do they sound like toy headphones in comparison.  

i use occasionnally  a pair of Lawton modded Denons d-5000 that i love but unfortunately for them as soon as i get back to the Senns they sound so much better and balanced. But if you feel like thumpin the Denons  can rock .

post #6546 of 24367
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKELAP View Post
 

i use occasionnally  a pair of Lawton modded Denons d-5000 that i love but unfortunately for them as soon as i get back to the Senns they sound so much better and balanced. But if you feel like thumpin the Denons  can rock .

I think its fun to own other headphones as well as the HD800's. But it seems ime, all other headphones I've tried seem to have a certain personality trait.. Like a fat bottom end (as with you and your Denon's), or a politeness in the upper registers like the Audeze for e.g... The HD800's are always a reality check with me. It's like 'ahhhhh thats better' when ever I put them on. 

post #6547 of 24367
Quote:
Originally Posted by catspaw View Post

Well, Since i already own the Schiit Asgard, I will get the HD800 and look for a DAC from there.
I checked that i can get Uber biforst, peechtree Dac-It X, cambridge audio DacMagic plus, Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100, Cambridge Audio Dac Magic, Matrix M_Stage Dac, M2Tech EvoClock, Asus Xonar Essence one plus edition, M2Tech Evo Dac.

Those are basicly the ones i can "buy", and I will test the Bifosrt and Peechtree as those I will have the chance to audition.
From the Dacs mentioned, anyone with the HD 800 can tell me if I should be looking for any of them?

I currently own the Essence One and can heartily recommend it. The DAC is very highly regarded and the amp section is also very good. Sell your Asgard and go with a one box solution. biggrin.gif
post #6548 of 24367
Quote:
Originally Posted by catspaw View Post
 

Well, Since i already own the Schiit Asgard, I will get the HD800 and look for a DAC from there.

I checked that i can get Uber biforst, peechtree Dac-It X, cambridge audio DacMagic plus, Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100, Cambridge Audio Dac Magic, Matrix M_Stage Dac, M2Tech EvoClock, Asus Xonar Essence one plus edition, M2Tech Evo Dac.

 

Those are basicly the ones i can "buy", and I will test the Bifosrt and Peechtree as those I will have the chance to audition.

From the Dacs mentioned, anyone with the HD 800 can tell me if I should be looking for any of them?

I enjoyed the Dac Magic Plus for quite awhile. I am a fan of the Wolfson DAC chips.

post #6549 of 24367
I had a DacMagic and a Peachtree Nova in the past as well. Never could tell the difference between them (yes, they sounded great).
post #6550 of 24367

Another +1 for the Cambridge dacs. They've been making them for  most of the history of commercial converters and they make quality gear for the monies. If you can get a Dacmagic-b for under $150 then I'd go for that. Balanced, smooth with respectable detail. I'd have to recommend the Arcam Rdac if you can stretch to it though just for the extra resolution and timing when the going gets rough. Again another bargain at the mo. 

 

But all of these dacs will be useless without an appropriate amp :) 300ohm Senn's require a high impedance output amp otherwise you'll get treble and not much bottom end... Tubes, Crack or similar.  

post #6551 of 24367
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post
 

Another +1 for the Cambridge dacs. They've been making them for  most of the history of commercial converters and they make quality gear for the monies. If you can get a Dacmagic-b for under $150 then I'd go for that. Balanced, smooth with respectable detail. I'd have to recommend the Arcam Rdac if you can stretch to it though just for the extra resolution and timing when the going gets rough. Again another bargain at the mo. 

 

But all of these dacs will be useless without an appropriate amp :) 300ohm Senn's require a high impedance output amp otherwise you'll get treble and not much bottom end... Tubes, Crack or similar.  

Find a used Decware CSP2+....Awesome and simple with the HD800's.

post #6552 of 24367
I just recieved the Sennheiser balanced cable, and plugged it into the balanced Schitt Mjolinor. Can't comment on sound differences yet, but this is a temporary fix until January when I plan to order the HDVD800 to complete the hopefully synergistic match with the HD800.
post #6553 of 24367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrodje View Post
 

 

 

 HD800 is on the razor edge. it can sound right or false very easily. 

 

+1.  It can make good quality recordings sound sublime, mediocre recordings sound good, and bad quality recordings sound totally UNLISTENABLE.  Because of this headphone, I deleted about 5 years of iTunes files.......

post #6554 of 24367
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbob713 View Post

I just recieved the Sennheiser balanced cable, and plugged it into the balanced Schitt Mjolinor. Can't comment on sound differences yet, but this is a temporary fix until January when I plan to order the HDVD800 to complete the hopefully synergistic match with the HD800.

I`ve auditioned the hdvd800+hd800 combo several times now.  You better get some adult diapers for the first listen, you`re gonna crap yourself it`s so good.

 

I was really interested in the Mjolinor a few months back.  How do you like it with hd800?  Did you get the 2x3xlr cable or the 4xlr?

post #6555 of 24367
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post
 

I enjoyed the Dac Magic Plus for quite awhile. I am a fan of the Wolfson DAC chips.

Try the Meier Daccord out if you can, two high end Wolfson DAC chips.  Beat the two Sabre DAC chips out of my OPPO BDP-105 by a mile in my own head to head comparison.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread