Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 436

post #6526 of 25453
Quote:
Originally Posted by catspaw View Post
 

I am not really a purist so if need be i will EQ the signal from them PC before it goes into the Bifrost (once i have it that is, currently id be using only the Fiio E17 wich does have a treble control) if the treble is too hot for me.

 

Im not expecting to get the 100% from the HD800, just dont want to make it underperform massivly to a point where a Sennheiser HD600 would be at the same level :D.

 

To keep things in perspective, all of this amp talk is really a discussion of the last 5%.

 

I have plugged my HD 800's into my iPod and they sound like HD 800's. Don't worry about it - just enjoy them!


Edited by palmfish - 11/21/13 at 1:48pm
post #6527 of 25453
Quote:
Originally Posted by catspaw View Post
 

I am not really a purist so if need be i will EQ the signal from them PC before it goes into the Bifrost (once i have it that is, currently id be using only the Fiio E17 wich does have a treble control) if the treble is too hot for me.

 

Im not expecting to get the 100% from the HD800, just dont want to make it underperform massivly to a point where a Sennheiser HD600 would be at the same level :D.


Having owned both at one time I could assure you that is never going to happen on the same amp.

post #6528 of 25453
Quote:
Originally Posted by catspaw View Post
 

[...]

 

Im not expecting to get the 100% from the HD800, just dont want to make it underperform massivly to a point where a Sennheiser HD600 would be at the same level :D.

 

I've just reacquired the HD800. Running it direct from my MBP's hp out until I get a balanced cable sorted. I have the HD650 next to it, fully balanced from the system in my sig. The HD800 at its worst is still on another level from its sibling at its best.

 

Even in this handicapped state, the HD800 still made me get up to check if I'd left my active speakers on, and also causes the occasional and involuntary look over the shoulder to seek the source of a sound. The most obvious absence though is the thundering and subterranean bass I know this headphone is capable of. Can't wait to be able to hook into my proper rig with it. I'd forgotten how good the HD800 is.


Edited by olor1n - 11/21/13 at 10:00pm
post #6529 of 25453

How true....!

post #6530 of 25453
Quote:
Originally Posted by olor1n View Post
 

The most obvious absence though is the thundering and subterranean bass I know this headphone is capable of. Can't wait to be able to hook into my proper rig with it. I'd forgotten how good the HD800 is.

hd650 has thundering bass (more loose, mid-bass to be honest), but hd800 definitely does not lack in subterranean bass (extension).

post #6531 of 25453
.
post #6532 of 25453
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by catspaw View Post
 

I am not really a purist so if need be i will EQ the signal from them PC before it goes into the Bifrost (once i have it that is, currently id be using only the Fiio E17 wich does have a treble control) if the treble is too hot for me.

 

Im not expecting to get the 100% from the HD800, just dont want to make it underperform massivly to a point where a Sennheiser HD600 would be at the same level :D.

 

To keep things in perspective, all of this amp talk is really a discussion of the last 5%.

 

I have plugged my HD 800's into my iPod and they sound like HD 800's. Don't worry about it - just enjoy them!

+1.  I got to agree 100% with you on this.  HD800 sound very decent from my Fiio E17/E9K combo at the office.  Of course, at home with WA22, HD800 will be at their best but how much better is the tricky question here.

post #6533 of 25453

AWSOME!

Well im 1/4th of the way to have the savings to pick them up. 

Now I have to paciently wait :D.

post #6534 of 25453

I full agree with lasts post and I'm very happy to read that. 

 


That said, I have my HD800 since august and I think this headphone is the most sensitive can I ever met. Every change of amp or Dac is listenable . Then if a HD800 always stays a  HD800, we can obtain very different HD800 with different gear IMO. I think that speaks a lot of amp here but not so much of DAC.  I experimented personnaly 3 or 4 different dacs ( HRT microstreamer, Cambridge audio dacmagic, Rega DAC , TEAC UD501 , AudioGD DAC 19 DSP , Hegel HD10) and I really found substantial differences.  Finding the good DAC/AMP/HD800 combo is really a complex exercise.

 

Not necessarily very expensive but complex.  HD800 is on the razor edge. it can sound right or false very easily. 

post #6535 of 25453

Well, Since i already own the Schiit Asgard, I will get the HD800 and look for a DAC from there.

I checked that i can get Uber biforst, peechtree Dac-It X, cambridge audio DacMagic plus, Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100, Cambridge Audio Dac Magic, Matrix M_Stage Dac, M2Tech EvoClock, Asus Xonar Essence one plus edition, M2Tech Evo Dac.

 

Those are basicly the ones i can "buy", and I will test the Bifosrt and Peechtree as those I will have the chance to audition.

From the Dacs mentioned, anyone with the HD 800 can tell me if I should be looking for any of them?

post #6536 of 25453

I suggest you look at the Resonessence Concero. Works well with the 800's. 

post #6537 of 25453
Quote:
Originally Posted by catspaw View Post
 

Well, Since i already own the Schiit Asgard, I will get the HD800 and look for a DAC from there.

I checked that i can get Uber biforst, peechtree Dac-It X, cambridge audio DacMagic plus, Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100, Cambridge Audio Dac Magic, Matrix M_Stage Dac, M2Tech EvoClock, Asus Xonar Essence one plus edition, M2Tech Evo Dac.

 

Those are basicly the ones i can "buy", and I will test the Bifosrt and Peechtree as those I will have the chance to audition.

From the Dacs mentioned, anyone with the HD 800 can tell me if I should be looking for any of them?

 

I only can say that the dacmagioc (old model) I owned sound  perfectly with my HD800 and both my SS and tube amps ;) . unexpensive,  slightly warm and smooth.  A very good option. 

post #6538 of 25453
I think I may have blown my pair. They don't sound like the ones i heard at a recent meet. Not sure if they were always like this or not but they sound different since the meet. How much does it cost for a repair if it is blown?
post #6539 of 25453
Quote:
Originally Posted by olor1n View Post
 

 

I've just reacquired the HD800. Running it direct from my MBP's hp out until I get a balanced cable sorted. I have the HD650 next to it, fully balanced from the system in my sig. The HD800 at its worst is still on another level from its sibling at its best.

 

Even in this handicapped state, the HD800 still made me get up to check if I'd left my active speakers on, and also causes the occasional and involuntary look over the shoulder to seek the source of a sound. The most obvious absence though is the thundering and subterranean bass I know this headphone is capable of. Can't wait to be able to hook into my proper rig with it. I'd forgotten how good the HD800 is.

Welcome back. I've recently been enjoying the HD600's (for a change) along side the 800's. I totally love the sound of all of the Senn's flagships, but the HD800's really are on another level. You can adapt to the 600/650 again and fully appreciate them, but just as long as you don't listen to the HD800's in the process, because as soon as you do they sound like toy headphones in comparison.  

post #6540 of 25453
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazsud View Post

I think I may have blown my pair. They don't sound like the ones i heard at a recent meet. Not sure if they were always like this or not but they sound different since the meet. How much does it cost for a repair if it is blown?

Can you describe why they sound different? Only if they were blown you wouldn't hear any sound at all. Or if the drivers have been damaged there would be lots of obvious distortion. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread