Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 420

post #6286 of 13360

I had both at one point and ended up selling the HE6. I got tired of trying to amp the HE6 to it's potential and I didn't want to spend more on a speaker amp that was going to be used for 1 headphone. Even with the cheap speaker amp I had the HE6 sounded extremely good. The HD800 sounds better from less but still has a high ceiling. I've toned it down and just have my Anedio D1 as I've moved to Stax but the HD800 isn't going anywhere. I think one day (I keep saying that but who knows when I'll get it done) I'll get mine painted and then probably buy a cable from Headphone Lounge for a cable with a 1/4" plug as I had my stock plug terminated into a 4 pin XLR and also have a Toxic cable with a 4 pin XLR so it is a bit annoying to need an adapter every time.

post #6287 of 13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless1 View Post

 
To you guys/girls who own both the HE-6 and the HD800, what is the differences in the two and which do you give the most head-time to?

I just recently sold off a couple of audio related things(made my wife happy), and have the budget for an HE-6. I just recently picked up the HD800 and honestly, could not be happier. I never thought I would like an analytical head phone(big 650 HE-500 fan). I guess I just never experienced them long term, and honestly it is hard to go back to the HE-500/650 etc.. Would the HE-6 be complimentary to the HD800 or should I just be happy? I am very content with my source/amp so no need to go bigger there.

Thanks for any input.

The Alpha Dog seems like a good fit to go with your hd800. Closed ortho to go with the very open dynamic. Or if you want to go full tilt what about an lcd-xc? If you have no need for a closed hp, the lcd2/3 would complement well. biggrin.gif
Ive only had the pleasure of listening to the HE-6 one time for about 30-40mins, it was recently at that. And as a previous LCD owner, I felt that the HE-6 was heaps ahead in the sound department.
post #6288 of 13360

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post
 

 

Well I sold the HE6 (and every other can) and kept the HD800-so what's that tell you? Then again-I've heard the HD800 on a ton of systems, and know first hand that they scale incredibly well, and any change to a rig can easily be heard. Just swapping out various dacs in a similar price range  can change someone's impressions of what these can and cannot do. Trust me-I've spent plenty of time, $$, and tons of A/Bing various dacs and amps to know that the HD800 is a sonic chameleon-and that spouting something as gospel (good for classical only, weak bass etc etc etc etc etc...) only shows the limitations of said spouter's ability/willingness to upgrade/synergize his system.

 

In a nutshell-a Phonitor or Crack are hardly reaching for the HD800's ceiling. ;)

 

-Daniel

I am very content with the synergy I found with them and the Fosgate Signature amp( fed by Benchmark DAC2). I am sure there is much better out there, but that combo is perfect to my ears.

 

I, like you, am in the process of "thinning out the heard" after finding this combo. Going back to other cans that were my old favorites, I find they lack in this or that.  I cant agree enough with you saying they are a "sonic chameleon" (well said:wink:). the first time I heard them I borrowed them from a friend, tried them on everything I owned at the time, and was underwhelmed thinking to myself, what is all of the fuss about?  I am glad that I heard his rig, it was like my eyes were opened.

post #6289 of 13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

I had both at one point and ended up selling the HE6. I got tired of trying to amp the HE6 to it's potential and I didn't want to spend more on a speaker amp that was going to be used for 1 headphone. Even with the cheap speaker amp I had the HE6 sounded extremely good. The HD800 sounds better from less but still has a high ceiling. I've toned it down and just have my Anedio D1 as I've moved to Stax but the HD800 isn't going anywhere. I think one day (I keep saying that but who knows when I'll get it done) I'll get mine painted and then probably buy a cable from Headphone Lounge for a cable with a 1/4" plug as I had my stock plug terminated into a 4 pin XLR and also have a Toxic cable with a 4 pin XLR so it is a bit annoying to need an adapter every time.
+1 I've never had a problem selling off a headphone after a period of time but thinking about selling my HD800 is scary.. I'll usually sell a hp to have a better one or a different flavor. I don't think I could ever sell the HD800 and If I do get another hp, it'll be an additional hp, not a trade-off.
post #6290 of 13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyVee View Post


Hey MickeyVee...

I recently jumped off the Schiit Train and joined the church of Bottlehead. I just gotta say, the Crack does wonders for the HD800s and it's not just me. You can't beat the price either. Watch the RMAF 2011 video here: http://youtu.be/iRyUOpFt1jI Watch the guys light up when the crack/HD800 combo are mentioned. It was brand new back then too, still priced at $219. Even now at $279 it's still a steal. You can go balanced with the Bottlehead Mainline at $1200, but there's not enough feedback on the amp yet as it's still on the first production run. Exciting times at BH. I'm so pumped about this pairing, I'm willing to build the crack for non-techs who want to try it out (+labour) To boot, I haven't even stuffed in the speedball.
Edited by NightFlight - 11/14/13 at 5:46pm
post #6291 of 13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post
 

 

Well I sold the HE6 (and every other can) and kept the HD800-so what's that tell you? Then again-I've heard the HD800 on a ton of systems, and know first hand that they scale incredibly well, and any change to a rig can easily be heard. Just swapping out various dacs in a similar price range  can change someone's impressions of what these can and cannot do. Trust me-I've spent plenty of time, $$, and tons of A/Bing various dacs and amps to know that the HD800 is a sonic chameleon-and that spouting something as gospel (good for classical only, weak bass etc etc etc etc etc...) only shows the limitations of said spouter's ability/willingness to upgrade/synergize his system.

 

In a nutshell-a Phonitor or Crack are hardly reaching for the HD800's ceiling. ;)

 

-Daniel

I totally agree. You really haven't heard what the hd800 can do 'til you've heard them synergize with the right amp and source.  

post #6292 of 13360

I'm not too sure what's happening with my HD800/WA7 combo at the moment but I seem to really be enjoying it more and more.  Not sure if it's break in (equipment or me just getting used to it) but at this point I really don't feel anything lacking.  I've been hankering to get either the the LCD 2.2 or TH600 but at this point, I'm holding off.  When I want something more coloured/fun I just move over to the Momentum/iDevice (iPod U2 4G/iPhone5/iPad Mini Retina all with EQ set to treble boot) and I get my fix.

I've been a big fan of the HD800 since I first heard them at a meet and on my system at that time.  Enough to sell my HD700/HE500 and move to the HD800.  It just seems to be getting better and better and gelling together quite nicely.. HD800/ ADL or Q cable/WA7 with stock Sovtek tubes (not a fan of the EH Gold Pins but I'm keeping them as backups).

Anyway, really a Happy Camper for now!

post #6293 of 13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyVee View Post
 

I'm not too sure what's happening with my HD800/WA7 combo at the moment but I seem to really be enjoying it more and more.  Not sure if it's break in (equipment or me just getting used to it) but at this point I really don't feel anything lacking.  I've been hankering to get either the the LCD 2.2 or TH600 but at this point, I'm holding off.  When I want something more coloured/fun I just move over to the Momentum/iDevice (iPod U2 4G/iPhone5/iPad Mini Retina all with EQ set to treble boot) and I get my fix.

I've been a big fan of the HD800 since I first heard them at a meet and on my system at that time.  Enough to sell my HD700/HE500 and move to the HD800.  It just seems to be getting better and better and gelling together quite nicely.. HD800/ ADL or Q cable/WA7 with stock Sovtek tubes (not a fan of the EH Gold Pins but I'm keeping them as backups).

Anyway, really a Happy Camper for now!

nice one - my hd800 are being delayed hopefully i will have them in 2 weeks. 

post #6294 of 13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKen23 View Post


Ive only had the pleasure of listening to the HE-6 one time for about 30-40mins, it was recently at that. And as a previous LCD owner, I felt that the HE-6 was heaps ahead in the sound department.

 

That would be correct IMO.  I've heard the HD800 and the HE-6 on "tons" of rigs lol..  Yup the HD800s got sold.  They just don't have the weight to the music the planars have.  At times and with some music the HD800s can sound "thin" compared to some planars.  

 

I'll get a TOTL tube amp and another pair of HD800s to see if I can pull it's weight up - I got a order in for the EC 445, lets see if that will do the trick.  Using the HE-6 on headphone amps is just a wastes of time IMO.  The HD800 is tricky and will need the right amp / dac combo.  But get this.  There's lots of good combo's out there for the HD800s.  

 

rawrster said "The HD800 sounds better from less" I think he hit the nail on the head.  You have to be willing to put in more work to get the HE-6 right compared to getting the HD800s right.  The HD800s scales pretty damn good.  However, the HE-6 scales higher.  


Edited by preproman - 11/14/13 at 6:45pm
post #6295 of 13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

 

That would be correct IMO.  I've heard the HD800 and the HE-6 on "tons" of rigs lol..  Yup the HD800s got sold.  They just don't have the weight to the music the planars have.  At times and with some music the HD800s can sound "thin" compared to some planars.  

 

I'll get a TOTL tube amp and another pair of HD800s to see if I can pull it's weight up.  Using the HE-6 on headphone amps is just a wastes of time IMO.  Where the HD800 is tricky and will need the right amp / dac combo.  But get this.  There's lots of good combo's out there for the HD800s.  

 

rawrster said "The HD800 sounds better from less" I think he hit the nail on the head.  You have to be willing to put in more work to get the HE-6 right compared to getting the HD800s right.  The HD800s scales pretty damn good.  However, the HE-6 scales higher.  

I completely disagree here Darryl...sorry :o. But the HD800's do scale higher. From a $600 MAD EAR+HD to a $1000 WA2 to a $2200 WA22 to a $2800 GS-X MK2, the HD800s just kept getting better (just like my DAC upgrades). The HE-6's hit their limit with a good $500 Class A speaker amp (like a good old Pioneer SX)...and no to very minimal improvements with uber-high end speaker amps. Unlike you, I sold my HE-6s and can't ever bare selling my HD-800s. 

 

They couldn't give me the quickness and transparency of the HD800s and were too thin sounding orthos compared to my LCD-3s. Just my 2 cents....


Edited by MacedonianHero - 11/14/13 at 6:49pm
post #6296 of 13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

I completely disagree here Darryl...sorry :o. But the HD800's do scale higher. From a $1000 WA2 to a $2200 WA22 to a $2800 GS-X MK2. The HE-6's hit their limit with a good $500 Class A speaker amp (like a good old Pioneer SX)...and no to very minimal improvements with uber-high end speaker amps. Unlike you, I sold my HE-6s and can't ever bare selling my HD-800s. 

 

They may have hit their limit to your ears.  Not so with my ears and a few other head fi'ers thats been on the very long journey of trying speaker amps of all sorts in many different audio shops.  The HE-6 hit their limit on a good $500 speaker amp?  Peter that's the best joke I've heard all day. :biggrin:  The HE-6 will eat those amps you mentioned for breakfast and still want more.  If the 8K Simaudio MOON 600i is not scaling - I don't know what is.  You have to hear for your self.

 

At times I like the LCD-3 better than the HD800 and at time I like the HD800 better than the LCD-3 - But I like the HE-6 all the time over both.  That's why both got sold.  Hope the EC445 will help the HD800s out and I hope the LCD-X is an improvement over the LCD-3 in certain areas. 


Edited by preproman - 11/14/13 at 6:56pm
post #6297 of 13360

Yeah.. I keep eyeing the Crack w/Speedball.  I almost bought one that was on CAM but it was too close after my WA7 purchase.  Would really like to hear the combo as it 's in my snack bracket.. translate budget. Really enjoying my current setup for now.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightFlight View Post


Hey MickeyVee...

I recently jumped off the Schiit Train and joined the church of Bottlehead. I just gotta say, the Crack does wonders for the HD800s and it's not just me. You can't beat the price either. Watch the RMAF 2011 video here: http://youtu.be/iRyUOpFt1jI Watch the guys light up when the crack/HD800 combo are mentioned. It was brand new back then too, still priced at $219. Even now at $279 it's still a steal. You can go balanced with the Bottlehead Mainline at $1200, but there's not enough feedback on the amp yet as it's still on the first production run. Exciting times at BH. I'm so pumped about this pairing, I'm willing to build the crack for non-techs who want to try it out (+labour) To boot, I haven't even stuffed in the speedball.
post #6298 of 13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

 

They may have hit their limit to your ears.  Not so with my ears and a few other head fi'ers thats been on the very long journey of trying speaker amps of all sorts in many different audio shops.  The HE-6 hit their limit on a good $500 speaker amp?  Peter that's the best joke I've heard all day. :biggrin:  The HE-6 will eat those amps you mentioned for breakfast and still want more.  If the 8K Simaudio i600 is not scaling - I don't know what is.  You have to hear for your self.

 

At times I like the LCD-3 better than the HD800 and at time I like the HD800 better than the LCD-3 - But I like the HE-6 all the time over both.  That's why both got sold.  Hope the EC445 will help the HD800s out and I hope the LCD-X is an improvement over the LCD-3 in certain areas. 

Sorry, I've heard it for myself (and on a 200W top of the line McIntosh amp) and all this MOAR power thing for the HE-6s is really one of the most overblown urban myths around Head-Fi. BTW, some Pioneer SX amps can output more than enough power to blow the drivers and never leave Class A.

 

I agree with your HD800 and LCD-3 comments, I go back and forth depending on what music/mood I'm in. But, I think you'd like the LCD-X as they seem more up your alley. :smile: 


Edited by MacedonianHero - 11/14/13 at 6:59pm
post #6299 of 13360

the ec445 is a new Eddie current amp?

post #6300 of 13360

+1.  It seems that HP's done last longer than 6-8 months for me.  Definitely keeping the HD800 (as well as my Momentum) and if I do get something else, it will be complimentary.. LCD something or TH600/900.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarKen23 View Post


+1 I've never had a problem selling off a headphone after a period of time but thinking about selling my HD800 is scary.. I'll usually sell a hp to have a better one or a different flavor. I don't think I could ever sell the HD800 and If I do get another hp, it'll be an additional hp, not a trade-off.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread