Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 419

post #6271 of 13999

I know I shouldnt post here, but I am anyways lol. If anyone is looking to sell their HD800, PM me :D

 

Side note, heard these again at the NYC Meet, damn, they are good. Much better than I remembered from april.

post #6272 of 13999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

I hear the full extension. Not sure what you are arguing. The HD800 extends naturally deeper than any other headphone I've ever listened to. It has cavernous bass that seems to come from everywhere and nowhere at the same time. It just doesn't throw it in your face like most of the planar magnetics. I've owned the HE-6 and really couldn't stand them. I've owned the LCD-2 and thought they were alright, but overrated. I've heard LCD-3 many times and thought them a slightly improved LCD-2. All 3 are overly bassy.

+1 on all counts-though I haven't heard an LCD3-I have zero desire to after owning a 2.2 for a while. HD800's are just unparalleled once you surround them with a great rig. That being said-I'd like to hear the HE6 again on an uber amp just because.

 

-Daniel

post #6273 of 13999
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post
 

+1 on all counts-though I haven't heard an LCD3-I have zero desire to after owning a 2.2 for a while. HD800's are just unparalleled once you surround them with a great rig. That being said-I'd like to hear the HE6 again on an uber amp just because.

 

-Daniel

Did you listen to that track I mentioned earlier? There are fundamentals down to 30hz. Can the HD-800 play this tone? Yes. Can the HD-800 do it with actual full-range music? No, it's simply rolling off the low end on tracks like this. And yes, that stuff should be "in your face" because it's 10x higher than anything else on the analyzer.

 

Don't get me wrong, the HD-800 is very flat, but when you play music, it simply doesn't have the flat-out wide extension the HE-6 has. Do compare the two cans if you can :)

post #6274 of 13999
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

Did you listen to that track I mentioned earlier? There are fundamentals down to 30hz. Can the HD-800 play this tone? Yes. Can the HD-800 do it with actual full-range music? No, it's simply rolling off the low end on tracks like this. And yes, that stuff should be "in your face" because it's 10x higher than anything else on the analyzer.

 

Don't get me wrong, the HD-800 is very flat, but when you play music, it simply doesn't have the flat-out wide extension the HE-6 has. Do compare the two cans if you can :)

 

 

+1. No amp or dac is going to fix this fault. And as I have mentioned a few pages back, SR009 has this problem too. Great observations brunk.

post #6275 of 13999
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeskd View Post
 

 

 

+1. No amp or dac is going to fix this fault. And as I have mentioned a few pages back, SR009 has this problem too. Great observations brunk.

Thanks!

post #6276 of 13999
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post
 

+1 on all counts-though I haven't heard an LCD3-I have zero desire to after owning a 2.2 for a while. HD800's are just unparalleled once you surround them with a great rig. That being said-I'd like to hear the HE6 again on an uber amp just because.

 

-Daniel

Did you listen to that track I mentioned earlier? There are fundamentals down to 30hz. Can the HD-800 play this tone? Yes. Can the HD-800 do it with actual full-range music? No, it's simply rolling off the low end on tracks like this. And yes, that stuff should be "in your face" because it's 10x higher than anything else on the analyzer.

 

Don't get me wrong, the HD-800 is very flat, but when you play music, it simply doesn't have the flat-out wide extension the HE-6 has. Do compare the two cans if you can :)

Interesting, I dont know if Im missing out on anything with the tracks youve linked with my HD800, I wish I had the HE-6 with a proper amp to actually do a direct comparison. 

 

To be honest, the reason Im reluctant on getting an ortho is due to the weight and discomfort Ive experienced. The HD800 was the perfect remedy. As for sound, I still love and appreciate the HD800's signature and capabilities. While Im sure there are better phones--I simply do not want to believe that theres anything better :p.

post #6277 of 13999

@DarKen23 Yeah I hear ya man on the 'new cans' thing, lol. The best way to tell if you're missing anything is looking at an analyzer while listening, it doesn't lie to you. However, your mind can misinterpret the analyzer if not read properly and lie for you! :tongue: 

post #6278 of 13999
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeskd View Post
 

 

 

+1. No amp or dac is going to fix this fault. And as I have mentioned a few pages back, SR009 has this problem too. Great observations brunk.

 

I just played the track mentioned on the previous page with my 009s. I have no doubts this is NOT the case with these headphones.  I do not say this lightly: The bass response is incredible and amazing. It sounds in relation to how it looks on the graph, bottomless bass that rumbles insanely low & the bass is not affected when the spectrum becomes busy. One of my personal lessons learnt on this forum is regarding the SR-009 bass. There is absolutely nothing missing - VERY strong response, and the quality is top. It's also very neatly integrated in the spectrum. I was both very surprised when I heard them and that was only confirmed when owning them. I do no have an explanation for the ocassional noise on this subject, but from my point of view it is not at all what I am hearing.

 

I no longer have the HD800s, but I admit I had some concerns in this respect with them at the time. The quality of the bass was very good though.


Edited by negura - 11/14/13 at 2:50pm
post #6279 of 13999
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSlayerZX View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
 

Problem - Pulling out the calbe

 

Hello, i have a small problem with my HD 800's. I have heard that the cables should come really easy out just by pulling the metal thing straight out of the headphones. But it doesn't seem to come no matter what??? I have tried to pull a little hard (to the point i don't want actually, because of i'm scared of damaging the headphones) but it won't come out? 

Is there a special technique were you have to twist it or anything?? I really don't want to use much force, as don't wish to damage them in any way.

So is it normal that it is difficult to unplug the cables, or is there something wrong :confused: 


it is very very difficult to remove the cable the first time.

I used a microfiber cloth to cover it to prevent damage, and had to pull on it really, really hard (at least... hard for such a small component) to get it out.

 

but anyway.... gotta as the question after it got derailed.

Has anyone tried to drive the HD800 balanced straight out of the buffalo II/III dace with IVY III stage?
If yes, has anyone compared vs with a dedicated balanced amp?
The balanced output of IVYIII should be much more than enough to power it... but just want to reasure anyone has first hand experience in it.

(or if anyone has a balanced amp willing to let me borrow them :P)

Sure, as long as you are willing to make a deposit for me to hold :D

post #6280 of 13999

To you guys/girls who own both the HE-6 and the HD800, what is the differences in the two and which do you give the most head-time to?

 

I just recently sold off a couple of audio related things(made my wife happy), and have the budget for an HE-6. I just recently picked up the HD800 and honestly, could not be happier. I never thought I would like an analytical head phone(big 650 HE-500 fan). I guess I just never experienced them long term, and honestly it is hard to go back to the HE-500/650 etc.. Would the HE-6 be complimentary to the HD800 or should I just be happy? I am very content with my source/amp so no need to go bigger there.

 

Thanks for any input.

post #6281 of 13999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless1 View Post
 

To you guys/girls who own both the HE-6 and the HD800, what is the differences in the two and which do you give the most head-time to?

 

I just recently sold off a couple of audio related things(made my wife happy), and have the budget for an HE-6. I just recently picked up the HD800 and honestly, could not be happier. I never thought I would like an analytical head phone(big 650 HE-500 fan). I guess I just never experienced them long term, and honestly it is hard to go back to the HE-500/650 etc.. Would the HE-6 be complimentary to the HD800 or should I just be happy? I am very content with my source/amp so no need to go bigger there.

 

Thanks for any input.

HE-6 really isn't complementary to HD-800, they overlap in many ways. Something like a TH-900 for example would suit each other well, but it depends on your musical tastes. If you're curious about the HE-6, find a dealer with a no-hassle return policy and check 'em out :)

 

I personally give more head time to the HE-6 over HD-800. Unless I want to dig really deep into the music, like some classical, I'll put on the HD-800. I consider it more of a tool now personally. Main differences are soundstage, comfort, overall extension, and amp requirements.


Edited by brunk - 11/14/13 at 3:55pm
post #6282 of 13999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless1 View Post
 

To you guys/girls who own both the HE-6 and the HD800, what is the differences in the two and which do you give the most head-time to?

 

I just recently sold off a couple of audio related things(made my wife happy), and have the budget for an HE-6. I just recently picked up the HD800 and honestly, could not be happier. I never thought I would like an analytical head phone(big 650 HE-500 fan). I guess I just never experienced them long term, and honestly it is hard to go back to the HE-500/650 etc.. Would the HE-6 be complimentary to the HD800 or should I just be happy? I am very content with my source/amp so no need to go bigger there.

 

Thanks for any input.

 

The Alpha Dog seems like a good fit to go with your hd800. Closed ortho to go with the very open dynamic. Or if you want to go full tilt what about an lcd-xc? If you have no need for a closed hp, the lcd2/3 would complement well. :D

post #6283 of 13999
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

HE-6 really isn't complementary to HD-800, they overlap in many ways. Something like a TH-900 for example would suit each other well, but it depends on your musical tastes. If you're curious about the HE-6, find a dealer with a no-hassle return policy and check 'em out :)

 

I personally give more head time to the HE-6 over HD-800. Unless I want to dig really deep into the music, like some classical, I'll put on the HD-800. I consider it more of a tool now personally. Main differences are soundstage, comfort, overall extension, and amp requirements.

Yeah, I was considering the TH-900, but I do have a Lawton modded D7k, that really does not get much head-time, "tastes have changed" I guess you could say, is it that much different/better?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

 

The Alpha Dog seems like a good fit to go with your hd800. Closed ortho to go with the very open dynamic. Or if you want to go full tilt what about an lcd-xc? If you have no need for a closed hp, the lcd2/3 would complement well. :D.

I own an LCD-2 and love them (minus the comfort), but I may consider the Alpha-Dog. You really have not said much about them, do you still love them?

 

 

Thanks for the responses!

post #6284 of 13999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless1 View Post
 

To you guys/girls who own both the HE-6 and the HD800, what is the differences in the two and which do you give the most head-time to?

 

I just recently sold off a couple of audio related things(made my wife happy), and have the budget for an HE-6. I just recently picked up the HD800 and honestly, could not be happier. I never thought I would like an analytical head phone(big 650 HE-500 fan). I guess I just never experienced them long term, and honestly it is hard to go back to the HE-500/650 etc.. Would the HE-6 be complimentary to the HD800 or should I just be happy? I am very content with my source/amp so no need to go bigger there.

 

Thanks for any input.

 

Well I sold the HE6 (and every other can) and kept the HD800-so what's that tell you? Then again-I've heard the HD800 on a ton of systems, and know first hand that they scale incredibly well, and any change to a rig can easily be heard. Just swapping out various dacs in a similar price range  can change someone's impressions of what these can and cannot do. Trust me-I've spent plenty of time, $$, and tons of A/Bing various dacs and amps to know that the HD800 is a sonic chameleon-and that spouting something as gospel (good for classical only, weak bass etc etc etc etc etc...) only shows the limitations of said spouter's ability/willingness to upgrade/synergize his system.

 

In a nutshell-a Phonitor or Crack are hardly reaching for the HD800's ceiling. ;)

 

-Daniel

post #6285 of 13999

Good to Hear Daniel...(Literally!) I sure love mine! :D

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread