or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 418

post #6256 of 24295

Ok. After much sweating, I did work out a safe way to unplug them when new or whenever: It's best before unplugging the connectors to actually use a layer of protection between the connector and the silver foil thing and on top of the scratch-prone plastic. Like some thick carton or plastic. That way you will avoid hitting the "dents magnet" that foil is or scratch the paint.

 

P.S.: I still really really dislike the connectors system on the HD800s. It's one of the worst.

post #6257 of 24295
Quote:
Originally Posted by PleasantSounds View Post

In a concert the environment is determined, starting with microphones, going through cables, mixers, effects, amps, speakers, and ending with the acoustic properties of the venue. What you get is a finished product, hopefully at it's best.
In studio work most of these factors are unknown, and the only reasonable choice is a compromise - the output must sound good through $2 IEMs on an mp3 player, in an elevator, a car player and on a high end audiophile system. On top of that there are individual preferences regarding volume level, tonal balance etc. Each of these environments and components colors the sound in it's own way. To have the best possible control over the final output, engineers tend to use components with possibly flat characteristics - that way you can have reasonably complex sound path without needing to worry about particular frequency suddenly booming or something like that. 
Many audiophiles have pretty complex setups as well and then the choice of flat response curve is also very desirable - not because it is enjoyable to everyone out of the bat, but because it's easier to control it and tune it to their individual tastes and preferences.
HD800 fits this purpose quite well, but no one says it's the only option. If your needs are different you have choices - there are Grados, Audezes and others that have different characteristics. 

I have to chime in here with my two cents. I think that a transducer is best when it responds flat. It has the option to be brought "to life" with components up the chain. It should remain as true as possible in order to preserve the context of the chain... since its on the end of said chain. A warm transducer may fit in some situations, but now its colored the source, in a permanent way. No matter how you adjust for it you are compounding through compensation. This is not the case with "flat" transducers. I say "flat" because truly flat is no fun at all.
post #6258 of 24295

Which transducer sounds completely flat?

 

HD800s:

http://en.goldenears.net/en/files/attach/images/254/602/022/4902ea3559a6f773247659462155541d.png

 

Tee-hee. :)


Edited by negura - 11/13/13 at 5:42pm
post #6259 of 24295
Quote:
Originally Posted by negura View Post
 

Which transducer sounds completely flat?

 

HD800s:

http://en.goldenears.net/en/files/attach/images/254/602/022/4902ea3559a6f773247659462155541d.png

 

Tee-hee. :)

I have to respectfully disagree in favor of the HE-6. Here's an easy test. Download this album in FLAC and listen to the 1st track titled "Greenery"

http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/bloop-entheomorphic

 

Now in JRiver or some other program, open up your analyzer

 

That 60hz bump is like the 3rd second of the track, but there are several throughout the entire song that goes deeper.

Look at the analyzer in that region as you are listening and tell me what you (don't) hear. I own both HD-800 and HE-6 and this is why i disagree because i hear every little creak and thump down there on HE-6, but not HD-800.

 

If there's any doubt, check out track #4 "Disappearing Spaces", it goes just as deep, but with much higher peaks.

 

The HE-6 is "bright"?....riiiight :rolleyes: 


Edited by brunk - 11/13/13 at 6:57pm
post #6260 of 24295
I hear the full extension. Not sure what you are arguing. The HD800 extends naturally deeper than any other headphone I've ever listened to. It has cavernous bass that seems to come from everywhere and nowhere at the same time. It just doesn't throw it in your face like most of the planar magnetics. I've owned the HE-6 and really couldn't stand them. I've owned the LCD-2 and thought they were alright, but overrated. I've heard LCD-3 many times and thought them a slightly improved LCD-2. All 3 are overly bassy.
Edited by Maxvla - 11/13/13 at 11:38pm
post #6261 of 24295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
 

Problem - Pulling out the calbe

 

Hello, i have a small problem with my HD 800's. I have heard that the cables should come really easy out just by pulling the metal thing straight out of the headphones. But it doesn't seem to come no matter what??? I have tried to pull a little hard (to the point i don't want actually, because of i'm scared of damaging the headphones) but it won't come out? 

Is there a special technique were you have to twist it or anything?? I really don't want to use much force, as don't wish to damage them in any way.

So is it normal that it is difficult to unplug the cables, or is there something wrong :confused: 


it is very very difficult to remove the cable the first time.

I used a microfiber cloth to cover it to prevent damage, and had to pull on it really, really hard (at least... hard for such a small component) to get it out.

 

but anyway.... gotta as the question after it got derailed.

Has anyone tried to drive the HD800 balanced straight out of the buffalo II/III dace with IVY III stage?
If yes, has anyone compared vs with a dedicated balanced amp?
The balanced output of IVYIII should be much more than enough to power it... but just want to reasure anyone has first hand experience in it.

(or if anyone has a balanced amp willing to let me borrow them :P)

post #6262 of 24295

I know I shouldnt post here, but I am anyways lol. If anyone is looking to sell their HD800, PM me :D

 

Side note, heard these again at the NYC Meet, damn, they are good. Much better than I remembered from april.

post #6263 of 24295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

I hear the full extension. Not sure what you are arguing. The HD800 extends naturally deeper than any other headphone I've ever listened to. It has cavernous bass that seems to come from everywhere and nowhere at the same time. It just doesn't throw it in your face like most of the planar magnetics. I've owned the HE-6 and really couldn't stand them. I've owned the LCD-2 and thought they were alright, but overrated. I've heard LCD-3 many times and thought them a slightly improved LCD-2. All 3 are overly bassy.

+1 on all counts-though I haven't heard an LCD3-I have zero desire to after owning a 2.2 for a while. HD800's are just unparalleled once you surround them with a great rig. That being said-I'd like to hear the HE6 again on an uber amp just because.

 

-Daniel

post #6264 of 24295
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post
 

+1 on all counts-though I haven't heard an LCD3-I have zero desire to after owning a 2.2 for a while. HD800's are just unparalleled once you surround them with a great rig. That being said-I'd like to hear the HE6 again on an uber amp just because.

 

-Daniel

Did you listen to that track I mentioned earlier? There are fundamentals down to 30hz. Can the HD-800 play this tone? Yes. Can the HD-800 do it with actual full-range music? No, it's simply rolling off the low end on tracks like this. And yes, that stuff should be "in your face" because it's 10x higher than anything else on the analyzer.

 

Don't get me wrong, the HD-800 is very flat, but when you play music, it simply doesn't have the flat-out wide extension the HE-6 has. Do compare the two cans if you can :)

post #6265 of 24295
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

Did you listen to that track I mentioned earlier? There are fundamentals down to 30hz. Can the HD-800 play this tone? Yes. Can the HD-800 do it with actual full-range music? No, it's simply rolling off the low end on tracks like this. And yes, that stuff should be "in your face" because it's 10x higher than anything else on the analyzer.

 

Don't get me wrong, the HD-800 is very flat, but when you play music, it simply doesn't have the flat-out wide extension the HE-6 has. Do compare the two cans if you can :)

 

 

+1. No amp or dac is going to fix this fault. And as I have mentioned a few pages back, SR009 has this problem too. Great observations brunk.

post #6266 of 24295
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeskd View Post
 

 

 

+1. No amp or dac is going to fix this fault. And as I have mentioned a few pages back, SR009 has this problem too. Great observations brunk.

Thanks!

post #6267 of 24295
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post
 

+1 on all counts-though I haven't heard an LCD3-I have zero desire to after owning a 2.2 for a while. HD800's are just unparalleled once you surround them with a great rig. That being said-I'd like to hear the HE6 again on an uber amp just because.

 

-Daniel

Did you listen to that track I mentioned earlier? There are fundamentals down to 30hz. Can the HD-800 play this tone? Yes. Can the HD-800 do it with actual full-range music? No, it's simply rolling off the low end on tracks like this. And yes, that stuff should be "in your face" because it's 10x higher than anything else on the analyzer.

 

Don't get me wrong, the HD-800 is very flat, but when you play music, it simply doesn't have the flat-out wide extension the HE-6 has. Do compare the two cans if you can :)

Interesting, I dont know if Im missing out on anything with the tracks youve linked with my HD800, I wish I had the HE-6 with a proper amp to actually do a direct comparison. 

 

To be honest, the reason Im reluctant on getting an ortho is due to the weight and discomfort Ive experienced. The HD800 was the perfect remedy. As for sound, I still love and appreciate the HD800's signature and capabilities. While Im sure there are better phones--I simply do not want to believe that theres anything better :p.

post #6268 of 24295

@DarKen23 Yeah I hear ya man on the 'new cans' thing, lol. The best way to tell if you're missing anything is looking at an analyzer while listening, it doesn't lie to you. However, your mind can misinterpret the analyzer if not read properly and lie for you! :tongue: 

post #6269 of 24295
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeskd View Post
 

 

 

+1. No amp or dac is going to fix this fault. And as I have mentioned a few pages back, SR009 has this problem too. Great observations brunk.

 

I just played the track mentioned on the previous page with my 009s. I have no doubts this is NOT the case with these headphones.  I do not say this lightly: The bass response is incredible and amazing. It sounds in relation to how it looks on the graph, bottomless bass that rumbles insanely low & the bass is not affected when the spectrum becomes busy. One of my personal lessons learnt on this forum is regarding the SR-009 bass. There is absolutely nothing missing - VERY strong response, and the quality is top. It's also very neatly integrated in the spectrum. I was both very surprised when I heard them and that was only confirmed when owning them. I do no have an explanation for the ocassional noise on this subject, but from my point of view it is not at all what I am hearing.

 

I no longer have the HD800s, but I admit I had some concerns in this respect with them at the time. The quality of the bass was very good though.


Edited by negura - 11/14/13 at 2:50pm
post #6270 of 24295
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSlayerZX View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
 

Problem - Pulling out the calbe

 

Hello, i have a small problem with my HD 800's. I have heard that the cables should come really easy out just by pulling the metal thing straight out of the headphones. But it doesn't seem to come no matter what??? I have tried to pull a little hard (to the point i don't want actually, because of i'm scared of damaging the headphones) but it won't come out? 

Is there a special technique were you have to twist it or anything?? I really don't want to use much force, as don't wish to damage them in any way.

So is it normal that it is difficult to unplug the cables, or is there something wrong :confused: 


it is very very difficult to remove the cable the first time.

I used a microfiber cloth to cover it to prevent damage, and had to pull on it really, really hard (at least... hard for such a small component) to get it out.

 

but anyway.... gotta as the question after it got derailed.

Has anyone tried to drive the HD800 balanced straight out of the buffalo II/III dace with IVY III stage?
If yes, has anyone compared vs with a dedicated balanced amp?
The balanced output of IVYIII should be much more than enough to power it... but just want to reasure anyone has first hand experience in it.

(or if anyone has a balanced amp willing to let me borrow them :P)

Sure, as long as you are willing to make a deposit for me to hold :D

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread