Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 401

post #6001 of 13860

Thank you.  I did the review over three nights listening to the tracks over and over again which consuming quantities of Rusty Nails (scotch & drambuie).  For my first review, just wanted to do something different.  For me, the music is about emotion and I love gear that coveys it be it my HeadFi system or my main 2CH/AV system.  Music has been such a major part of my life for 40+ years from my first mail order record player with speaker to where I am now.

I was really leery of posting is gas it's my first review ever.  Thanks for the feedback!


Edited by MickeyVee - 10/22/13 at 8:43pm
post #6002 of 13860

I appreciate your view. I have rolled a number of amps and settled on the Cary because it sounds great and does double duty with speakers. I would rather spend the time listening and enjoying. The HD800's love the Cary and I can always roll tubes if I want to.

post #6003 of 13860

My other combo was the Schiit Lyr/Bifrost Uber and it was good.  I'd love to move up the scale but the money needs to go to other places. Yes, I enjoy what I have now and maybe someday may get there as I know that the HD800's scale up. Would love tho go balanced.  On my bucket list are the Bel Canto DAC and the Senn HDVD 600 (all balanced) and maybe going up from there.

My personal end game based on what I can afford and what is out there are different things.  I'm basing my comments on what I can afford versus what I want to try.  Give that, I'm pretty happy where I am now and yes, you can enjoy the HD800 without going TOTL :) I'm getting to old to believe that whoever has the best/most/most expensive toys, wins.  Enjoy the journey!

 

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentXXL View Post


An interesting review... When you say the HD800/WA7 could be your end-game combo, is that because you've tried other amps (and DACs?) and none of them have done as good of a job as your current setup? Or because you're just content to live with what you have right now (because you obviously enjoy it)?

I'm in a similar boat with my CLAS-dB DAC, RSA Intruder amp and the HD800s. It's VERY enjoyable, but based on what I've heard at meets and my lust for new toys, it won't be my end-game setup.

I really prefer the balanced environment, so I'll likely never go back to using a single-ended output, other than for comparisons where a single-ended output is my only choice.

Dale
post #6004 of 13860
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentXXL View Post


An interesting review... When you say the HD800/WA7 could be your end-game combo, is that because you've tried other amps (and DACs?) and none of them have done as good of a job as your current setup? Or because you're just content to live with what you have right now (because you obviously enjoy it)?

I'm in a similar boat with my CLAS-dB DAC, RSA Intruder amp and the HD800s. It's VERY enjoyable, but based on what I've heard at meets and my lust for new toys, it won't be my end-game setup.

I really prefer the balanced environment, so I'll likely never go back to using a single-ended output, other than for comparisons where a single-ended output is my only choice.

Dale

Why exclude yourself from the many wonderful single-ended options? There's so much more to choose from, and frankly quite a bit of them beat the pants off a "balanced" setup too.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post
 

I appreciate your view. I have rolled a number of amps and settled on the Cary because it sounds great and does double duty with speakers. I would rather spend the time listening and enjoying. The HD800's love the Cary and I can always roll tubes if I want to.

I almost pulled the trigger on that Cary in the past, it still piques my interest to this day. I might jump aboard with you someday...

post #6005 of 13860
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentXXL View Post


An interesting review... When you say the HD800/WA7 could be your end-game combo, is that because you've tried other amps (and DACs?) and none of them have done as good of a job as your current setup? Or because you're just content to live with what you have right now (because you obviously enjoy it)?

I'm in a similar boat with my CLAS-dB DAC, RSA Intruder amp and the HD800s. It's VERY enjoyable, but based on what I've heard at meets and my lust for new toys, it won't be my end-game setup.

I really prefer the balanced environment, so I'll likely never go back to using a single-ended output, other than for comparisons where a single-ended output is my only choice.

Dale

Why exclude yourself from the many wonderful single-ended options? There's so much more to choose from, and frankly quite a bit of them beat the pants off a "balanced" setup too.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post
 

I appreciate your view. I have rolled a number of amps and settled on the Cary because it sounds great and does double duty with speakers. I would rather spend the time listening and enjoying. The HD800's love the Cary and I can always roll tubes if I want to.

I almost pulled the trigger on that Cary in the past, it still piques my interest to this day. I might jump aboard with you someday...

Audiogon has an F1 up for $2200....Nearly half price.....:evil:

post #6006 of 13860
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post

Why exclude yourself from the many wonderful single-ended options? There's so much more to choose from, and frankly quite a bit of them beat the pants off a "balanced" setup too.

I haven't found the same... every balanced setup I've managed to listen to has always sounded better than the single-ended setups I've tried. That's not to say I haven't heard some fantastic single-ended systems, but for some reason I always seem to prefer a balanced setup. They just appear to present a fuller soundstage to me, eg. my opinion.

I'm not sure if it's something to do with my hearing, but I also prefer solid state over tube amplifiers. Everything I've read tells me that a tube amp is likely to have the best synergy with my HD800s, yet every time I listen to one, it seems slightly off-putting to me. Strange, I know.

Maybe one day things will change. I'm actually half-tempted to purchase a used but well recommended tube setup and give it a longer listening to than the limited time I've been able to spend with systems at meets. I'm sure part of it is me still adjusting to the nuances I'm now discovering since I've owned the HD800s. I'm a believer that you aren't necessarily born an audiophile, but you start off as an enthusiast who eventually learns to listen for things that you never previously recognized.

That said, it could be that my hearing is fubar and nowhere near the norm that most Head-fiers seem to experience. I do still hear the differences between my DT770s, other mid and low end headphones and my HD800s, and I definitely hear and recognize the HD800 as superior. I'm content knowing that I hear things differently, but happy that I still get to enjoy what the HD800s have to offer.

Dale
post #6007 of 13860
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentXXL View Post

Congrats on the purchase! I still feel nowhere near the potential of my HD800s but I'm just amazed at how great they sound with my 'high-end' portable setup shown below. Rather than spend some serious money on the Omega stands (although they are very nice), my headphones spend a lot of time on my head and hence the stand was secondary. I built my own stand using a 4" long piece of 3/4" galvanized pipe, a 3/4" threaded flange for the base, a styrofoam dummy's head from a local costume shop and a can of styrofoam safe spray paint (tan colour). Total cost was about $15.

Although I've bought mainly portable components and show the setup connected to my iPhone 5, I use it far more often connected to my MacBook Pro. The MBP is connected to the Cypher Labs Algorythm Solo -dB with a USB 2.0 port. The balanced output of the CLAS -dB is connected to the balanced input of the Ray Samuels Audio Intruder. And lastly, my HD800 (self-reterminated) are connected to the balanced headphone output on the front of the RSA Intruder. Eventually I'll be buying a better amp and DAC for my home setup, but right now my so-called 'portable' setup does a very nice job with my predominantly FLAC based library of music. Thankfully I've discovered that I don't need to jump right to the GS-X Mark II and an equally pricey DAC to get fantastic sound. And when I do buy the high end 'desktop' amp and DAC, I'll hopefully appreciate the sound improvement that much more.


  


Dale

What a great idea for a stand. That way your phones stay in position, all stretched out and ready to go. Nice.
post #6008 of 13860

Just watched an awesome sci-fi movie titled "Europa Report". Forgot how great the movie experience can be using the HD800

post #6009 of 13860
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post
 

ordering my hd800's next week - cannot wait    :D:D:D:D

 

 Congrats..:beerchug:

 

  My hd800 is with serial number 21XXX ..hmm i did not notice any brightness in treble.

 

  i found that it really loves benchmark dac1 with   proper powercord & powerconditioner

When i change into using DHC complement fusion cable ...hmm .. i think i am hearing a studio recorded sound ..i am serious you know:etysmile:

post #6010 of 13860
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKen23 View Post

Just watched an awesome sci-fi movie titled "Europa Report". Forgot how great the movie experience can be using the HD800

+1 hd800 is my #1 choice for movie!!!
Oblivion sounds awesome too with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamalz View Post

 Congrats..beerchug.gif

  My hd800 is with serial number 21XXX ..hmm i did not notice any brightness in treble.

+1 no brightness at all, it's definitely below stax 2170, sa3000, grado sr60 and sometimes below hd650, only that hd650 vocal is more fuller and forward, while there's a distance between the singer and me with hd800 (bit further).
Edited by RedBull - 10/24/13 at 4:24am
post #6011 of 13860

I sometimes become frustrated at the english language.  "Not bright at all" or translates to something like "it's bright, but not enough to be adverse."  At least I sincerely hope this is what is being said.  If you have an unmodified HD800 that is not bright please send it to Tyll or Purrin for measurement.

 

If I were someone new to this hobby or had a poor comprehension of various idioms and turns of phrase in the English language, and I came to this thread I might read these white lies and not realise that although they point to a genuine statement of subjective opinion, I might think "Yep, I don't like bright headphones. but HD800's aren't bright so I'll buy them."

 

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the hell out of the HD800's, but I appreciate them for what the are, fast, agile, mostly neutral, revealing, detailed, and maybe I even appreciate the brightness at times.  

 

We don't need to meander around with misleading flattery to express appreciation of a headphone.

post #6012 of 13860
Quote:
Originally Posted by drez View Post
 

I sometimes become frustrated at the english language.  "Not bright at all" or translates to something like "it's bright, but not enough to be adverse."  At least I sincerely hope this is what is being said.  If you have an unmodified HD800 that is not bright please send it to Tyll or Purrin for measurement.

 

If I were someone new to this hobby or had a poor comprehension of various idioms and turns of phrase in the English language, and I came to this thread I might read these white lies and not realise that although they point to a genuine statement of subjective opinion, I might think "Yep, I don't like bright headphones. but HD800's aren't bright so I'll buy them."

 

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the hell out of the HD800's, but I appreciate them for what the are, fast, agile, mostly neutral, revealing, detailed, and maybe I even appreciate the brightness at times.  

 

We don't need to meander around with misleading flattery to express appreciation of a headphone.

 

 

+1 !

 

I really enjoy my HD800 but this headphone is definetely on the bright side of neutrality. That said, HD800 is IMO very different from other bright cans I tried. HD800 brings body and impact and bottom to its brightness. That makes hd800 an extraordinary headphone in my opinion. HD800 never sounded thin or light in my experience and HD800's bass and sub bass ( real bass not the fun mid bass like so many headphones) amaze me each time I use mine. With inappropriate source or amp the HD800 can sound harsh or sterile because decay is short and attacks are strong. Upstream gear has to bring smoothness and "meat" to the table in order to compliment HD800 strenghts. Then HD800 can sound at the same time slightly bright AND slightly warm AND well bodied. And then the audio experience become really impressive.


Edited by Sorrodje - 10/24/13 at 6:41am
post #6013 of 13860
Quote:
Originally Posted by drez View Post

I sometimes become frustrated at the english language.  "Not bright at all" or translates to something like "it's bright, but not enough to be adverse."  At least I sincerely hope this is what is being said.  If you have an unmodified HD800 that is not bright please send it to Tyll or Purrin for measurement.

If I were someone new to this hobby or had a poor comprehension of various idioms and turns of phrase in the English language, and I came to this thread I might read these white lies and not realise that although they point to a genuine statement of subjective opinion, I might think "Yep, I don't like bright headphones. but HD800's aren't bright so I'll buy them."

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the hell out of the HD800's, but I appreciate them for what the are, fast, agile, mostly neutral, revealing, detailed, and maybe I even appreciate the brightness at times.  

We don't need to meander around with misleading flattery to express appreciation of a headphone.

I'm on the fence when it comes to comments like yours. I will 100% agree with the two sections I bolded. It's my opinion and understand from everything I've read (subjective or otherwise) that the HD800s are a bright headphone. That said, there are others out there like myself that just don't hear it, plain and simple, even with the dreaded 6KHz peak (that doesn't always appear in measurements). It's likely due to the fact that our hearing (mine for sure) is fubar or the fact that we all have different ears and brains.

I work in healthcare and have had the opportunity to have my hearing and that of co-workers tested by an audiologist numerous times after having repaired their equipment (calibrated using NIST reference standards). We all have different audiometric curves and hence we all hear things differently.

That said, I can't and won't dismiss the comments of the majority of the forum readers in declaring the HD800 a bright headphone. I'm just lucky enough not to be affected by it and I get to enjoy my pair as much or maybe more than others. Just because we don't hear the brightness doesn't mean our comments or opinions shouldn't be expressed.

Dale
post #6014 of 13860

There is a slight tilt towards the bright side of neutrality (compared to something like a LCD2/3) but I wouldn't say it's as bad as it may be perceived. Something like a Grado (in production and not something like the HP1000) I would consider very bright but the HD800  isn't too bad. A bit of gear matching and it's fine for me. 


Edited by rawrster - 10/24/13 at 6:42am
post #6015 of 13860
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentXXL View Post


I'm on the fence when it comes to comments like yours. I will 100% agree with the two sections I bolded. It's my opinion and understand from everything I've read (subjective or otherwise) that the HD800s are a bright headphone. That said, there are others out there like myself that just don't hear it, plain and simple, even with the dreaded 6KHz peak (that doesn't always appear in measurements). It's likely due to the fact that our hearing (mine for sure) is fubar or the fact that we all have different ears and brains.

I work in healthcare and have had the opportunity to have my hearing and that of co-workers tested by an audiologist numerous times after having repaired their equipment (calibrated using NIST reference standards). We all have different audiometric curves and hence we all hear things differently.

That said, I can't and won't dismiss the comments of the majority of the forum readers in declaring the HD800 a bright headphone. I'm just lucky enough not to be affected by it and I get to enjoy my pair as much or maybe more than others. Just because we don't hear the brightness doesn't mean our comments or opinions shouldn't be expressed.

Dale

+1 also when using warm tubes like i am its not bright. I actually think the headphone is warm and big sounding. I suppose with a solid state amp its different story. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread