- 7,756 Posts. Joined 8/2011
- Location: Chicago!
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 2/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled! Last post on 7/18/16 at 2:18pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Sennheiser HD800 (like new) Price with shipping inside EU Last post on 5/21/15 at 10:20am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- HD800: Valhalla2 or Lyr2 Last post on 6/7/16 at 7:39pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- McIntosh MHA-100 headphone amplifier review Last post on 7/16/16 at 9:49pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- My Grado SR325e's lost their magic Last post on 8/23/15 at 5:45am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
As list in the summary, I don't like this product, and I will not buy any product from Philips because of the post-sale service. After I tried replacing all of the ear-pieces in the box, I...
Introduction – When I was first looking into a set of computer speakers, many brands tickled my ear but few really caught my eye. Edifier are a perfect example of a brand renowned for their...
Mine developed a noisy right channel after a relatively short time. Cambridge Tech support was poor and customer support was just as bad. This company is pennywise and pound foolish and should...
I’ve worked with Accutone IEMs before. However, I’ve never been so thoroughly satisfied a product of theirs. Almost every build-quality complaint I’ve had before lies dead at the feet of...
I have heard the littledot mkIV, and it pretty much sounded like any other solid state amp as well so i though eh, littledot is just another shammy company... but then I discovered the MKIII - and...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 378
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Nice to see some love for good ole vintage amps.
This is my latest Pioneer. It sounds very good to me :)
(apologies if you've already seen these pics on another thread)
I have a chance of buying the same amp - impressions?
A very bold sound. But not without detail or balance. A lot of depth, earthy sounding. Treble is rich without nearing any kind of harshness. This is of course with the HD800's plugged in. Its a late 70's Pioneer when they were at their best. I'm not going to try and convince you that it will sound better than a high end hp amp because I'm sure that it won't. But I'd confidently let it compete with anything under $1000.
Most important... The SQ will depend on how good the insides still are :)
Don't pay any-more than $150 (usd) I paid £60 for her above. I spent a lot of time cleaning her up but that's all part of the fun.
Not quite vintage yet, almost 10 years since it came out though. It has that nice vintage look however. I'm currently using it to power my HE-6 until I finish my DIY First Watt F5
Just wondering guys, I see two types of HD800's? One with a silver ring around the small grill on each earcup and one with a blue one? What does this mean? Different ohms? Balanced or single ended?
Okay here is a follow up on my post a couple of pages back. Amazon Japan delivered my new HD800 with the `damaged` box, which they had photographed and sent to me to confirm my order, and which i included in my previous post. These pictures I just took a few minutes ago after the delivery guy left. When I opened the Amazon packing container I realized I had been mislead, as you can see :
The box is not the one in the photos from Amazon, it is pristine and my new HD800 is on my head blowing my mind (the syncopated cowbell in Trombone Shorty`s `Buckjump` sounds like it`s 2 meters behind my chair). So why the reverse scam - offering a fake 30% scratch-and-dent discount ? Probably it has to do with `volume discounts` from distributors to retailers, whereby big sellers reach a point in their inventory where the profit margin they earn for each unit sold becomes less than the discount they can receive from the distributor/manufacturer for ordering more units. It sounds wonky but if you think about it the math could make sense. A couple of years ago I bought an iMac here that was labeled `used` and hugely discounted, however it was clearly unused (everything still factory sealed, no software installed). My friend who works for Apple Japan told me it must have been the result of this kind of discount system. The retailer can easily move the unit out the door by discounting it so much, more than their sales contract allows, and therefor push their inventory statistics into a range which qualify for future discounts/rebates/priority shipping from the distributor/manufacturer. (This could also indicate something new is coming from Senn, and dealers are trying to move the current stock. . . Not that I`m rumor-mongering. )
More importantly, holy crap these headphones are freakin` amazing !
I know that model and it is very highly rated. I'd like to try one some day. Plus it looks very elegant.
Congrats! That theory kind of makes sense as well. Cos they wouldn't be allowed to advertise them at the discounted price.
- The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
- › Mitchell & Johnson – Electrostatz Headphones, Kickstarter Edition 1 minute ago
- › MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic... 1 minute ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 2 minutes ago
- › The Etymotics HF5 Thread 3 minutes ago
- › New - Cowon Plenue S 4 minutes ago
- › Questions about DAP sound quality 4 minutes ago
- › [review] NuPrime uDSD 6 minutes ago
- › New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and... 6 minutes ago
- › First headphone/amp combo within a 3000 USD budget 6 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 7 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio S2 by Jemuillot
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by ryanjsoo
- › Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic Plus by hankaberle
- › Accutone Pavo by Cinder
- › Little Dot MK III by Beztis
- › Logitech UE 6000 by Malfunkt
- › Alpha & Delta D2 by bhazard
- › Brainwavz Jive by B9Scrambler
- › iFi Nano iUSB 3.0 Power Supply by Army-Firedawg
- › iFi Pro iCAN by thatonenoob
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...