or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 37

post #541 of 25126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post

to each his own.  I like variety and always have more than one flagship on board so they work for me. Especially with female vocals
I also still have another flagship, the UERM wink.gif
post #542 of 25126
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPoor View Post

 I literally just packed the LCD's up. Going to put the money towards a serious DAC. Is that possible under $1k to go w/ the Lyr until I can upgrade the amp?

As long as you don't need extra features. the Concero looks nice for well under $1k.

post #543 of 25126
Quote:
 

 

 

I only use IEM in the gym so I still prefer flu size headphones for listening. I use the hd800 mostly for classical  recordings but its my best headphone. I do like the lcd 2.2 for female vocals and other  genre but not classical music . When I want quiet I listen to the at3000anv. The other ones collect dust. I dont listen to portable stuff enough to justify spending more than my triple fi 10 which are fine for the gym.

post #544 of 25126

 Hmm the Concero is well within the budget... Any more recommendations? Highly prefer USB.

post #545 of 25126

Gungnir :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPoor View Post

 Hmm the Concero is well within the budget... Any more recommendations? Highly prefer USB.

post #546 of 25126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls Generation View Post

Gungnir :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPoor View Post

 Hmm the Concero is well within the budget... Any more recommendations? Highly prefer USB.

I do love AKM DACs!

post #547 of 25126
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post

I do love AKM DACs!

 

I have a Stello DA100 which I've really loved and not upgraded since getting it more than 3 years ago which uses an AKM DAC... and it sometimes makes me wonder how Gungnir would compare... recognizing that the DAC Chip itself only plays a very small role in a DAC's sound of course.

post #548 of 25126

Definitely a starting point. I have always enjoyed them in my Denon gear and the HP-P1 uses them to great effect!

post #549 of 25126

 How does the PS Audio NuWave DAC sound with the Senn's? The Perfect Wave is just way out of my league....

post #550 of 25126
Concero stomps all over the Gungnir IMO. If you don't need balanced it is the best value by far. If you do want balanced and a similar but better sound the Matrix X-Sabre is the one to get. ($1100) It will be publicly available in 2-3 weeks. I did not like the Perfectwave or the Nuwave.
post #551 of 25126

What are your genre and sound characteristic preferences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

Concero stomps all over the Gungnir IMO. If you don't need balanced it is the best value by far. If you do want balanced and a similar but better sound the Matrix X-Sabre is the one to get. ($1100) It will be publicly available in 2-3 weeks. I did not like the Perfectwave or the Nuwave.

 

 

Just ordered the HD800 new, will be receiving next week. I never liked the HD800 whenever I tried them at meets or at the local headphone shop. Maybe I'll think different if I give them a good go at home, just like with the LCD3.

post #552 of 25126

 I'm definitely going to look into the Concero. Looks great at the moment. I just don't have much experience with DACs so I'm limited to the Meridian Explorer and the Bifrost... hardly worthy of the HD800 is seems.

post #553 of 25126
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPoor View Post

 Someone convince me to keep my LCD2.2's. Out of the box I'm in love. Have to agree about the bass. Just awesome. Blown away. My fiance might not see me tonight.

 

 

My sentiments exactly. I really want to sell my LCD2.2 too and PS500(already on sale) and just build a rig around the HD800.  However, I also think it is too hasty to sell the LCD2.2s right now.  I'm reveling in my HD800 purchase right now and my bias is strong right now.  I think it'll take a week at least for things to settle down ,and I'll listen to the two for a couple of weeks and make the final decision in a month.  Even after the anax mod 2.0, the HD800 is still bright but just in the right amount.   Poorly recorded songs still sound bad just not wretched as they would sound with the stock HD800.  I was actually thinking of keeping the LCD2.2 to just use to smooth out and make poorly recorded songs more bearable, but that would really be a waste. 

 

I think the HD800 has just the right amount of bass for me.  It really is a little subwoofer like and I think the soundstage helps with that a little.  Vocals have always been my #1 priority.  I've never really been a big bass fan, but the LCD2.2's bass does have more punch, depth, etc but a little too much for me so that it's really distracting.  Sometimes I feel like the LCD2.2's bass is too good and I get distracted from the vocals.  I also feel a little (nauseous/fatiguing/slight ear pain/I don't know what word to use) sometimes from all the compressed air blasted from LCD2.2, which is agitated by the suction cup feel of the leather earcups.   If the LCD3's bass is even better then I will most likely like them even less. 

 

Hmm, I actually like the HD800 eq'd with a few dB up in the mids to bring the vocals a little more forward and I'm really liking it, but that's just me. 

I've think found my sound signature biggrin.gif

 

Edit: The HD800 also gives me that nausea just much less pronounced than the LCD2.2.  It was pretty bad when I first got the LCD2.2, but I got used to it over time.  
I really think it's the angled drivers that's throwing things off balance in my ears.  Anyone else feel this way?  

 

Edit2: Oh yea the feeling I get may be somewhat comparable to being shot in the ear directly by a very weak mini air Air-Bazooka if you've ever seen/played with one. Its not really as bad as it sounds. I don't feel each "shot" directly, but it builds as you keep listening.  It's a very weird/uncomfortable feeling


Edited by hiyu64 - 3/5/13 at 10:01pm
post #554 of 25126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls Generation View Post

What are your genre and sound characteristic preferences?


Just ordered the HD800 new, will be receiving next week. I never liked the HD800 whenever I tried them at meets or at the local headphone shop. Maybe I'll think different if I give them a good go at home, just like with the LCD3.
I listen to sound not music, so I listen to just about anything. I lose brain cells if I listen to modern country though so I avoid that. I tend to like a brighter hyper detailed listening experience. The sound of the X-Sabre really doesn't sound bright at all, very natural yet still has that crazy detail.
post #555 of 25126

I think you're confusing better with quantity. LCD3's bass seems to have better quality, not quantity. What the LCD2 falls behind is everything sounds congested and like mush in comparison to the LCD3. Maybe that might help with concentrating on vocals. But if you don't like how the LCD2 grips your face, the LCD3's pads are squishier and you might not like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiyu64 View Post

 

My sentiments exactly. I really want to sell my LCD2.2 too and PS500(already on sale) and just build a rig around the HD800.  However, I also think it is too hasty to sell the LCD2.2s right now.  I'm reveling in my HD800 purchase right now and my bias is strong right now.  I think it'll take a week at least for things to settle down ,and I'll listen to the two for a couple of weeks and make the final decision in a month.  Even after the anax mod 2.0, the HD800 is still bright but just in the right amount.   Poorly recorded songs still sound bad just not wretched as they would sound with the stock HD800.  I was actually thinking of keeping the LCD2.2 to just use to smooth out and make poorly recorded songs more bearable, but that would really be a waste. 

 

I think the HD800 has just the right amount of bass for me.  It really is a little subwoofer like and I think the soundstage helps with that a little.  Vocals have always been my #1 priority.  I've never really been a big bass fan, but the LCD2.2's bass does have more punch, depth, etc but a little too much for me so that it's really distracting.  Sometimes I feel like the LCD2.2's bass is too good and I get distracted from the vocals.  I also feel a little (nauseous/fatiguing/slight ear pain/I don't know what word to use) sometimes from all the compressed air blasted from LCD2.2, which is agitated by the suction cup feel of the leather earcups.   If the LCD3's bass is even better then I will most likely like them even less. 

 

Hmm, I actually like the HD800 eq'd with a few dB up in the mids to bring the vocals a little more forward and I'm really liking it, but that's just me. 

I've think found my sound signature biggrin.gif

 

Edit: The HD800 also gives me that nausea just much less pronounced than the LCD2.2.  It was pretty bad when I first got the LCD2.2, but I got used to it over time.  
I really think it's the angled drivers that's throwing things off balance in my ears.  Anyone else feel this way?  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread