Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 338

post #5056 of 17730
The wa6-se is known for having a wide soundstage. More than my wa2 as well.

The wa6-se never goes past 9-10 o clock with hd 800s its very powerful and capable, its faster and more ss like, but can also get pretty lush with good tube rolling. And you can always use more powerful tubes as well. Even with lcd-2 i found it to be as good as burson soloist/conductor, so it has the power and dynamics
Edited by Dubstep Girl - 8/28/13 at 6:05am
post #5057 of 17730
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post

thanks for posting, that explains a lot. why would radiohead opt for that? surely they know there stuff.

All pop/rock music is compressed otherwise it wouldn't sound as good (or bad :). Try recording live drums and electric guitar,keyboards etc without compression and you would either one huge distorted mess or to minimise distortion it would be too soft/quiet to appreciate. The sounds have to be squashed in order to make them as loud as each other without losing their intended impact. Acoustic instruments are different because you can gage the dynamics/peaks with mics before you record and then mixing is all you should need to do. Although most drums would still need to be squashed into a pleasing noise to fit the picture.

Its a very hard recording practice with classical music trying to replicate that live performance and to be true to the natural dynamics, but even then you will still most likely have to use some compression with brass and timpani for example. But as a general rule recorded classical music is the best for dynamics if you want to test your equipment. 

 

With Radiohead you have such an array of sounds from acoustic to electronic, they make musical soup! If no compression was used it would be un-listenable. It's as dynamic as it can possibly be though, as that is the job of the producer to do this. To be fair Radiohead albums do actually sound very dynamic compared to most pop. 

post #5058 of 17730

what's a good solid state amp for the hd800 in the $1k-$1.5k range? i have the love my hd800s with the wa2 but it gets kinda hot especially now in the summer. i've tried the v200 and found the soundstage to be lacking so i sold.

post #5059 of 17730

Nuforce Dac100. Best ss amp under a grand for the HD800s I've heard-and a dac that competes with every other $1,000 dac, and bests the Gungnir by a fair margin imo. Excellent piece of kit.

 

-Daniel

post #5060 of 17730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd007 View Post

what's a good solid state amp for the hd800 in the $1k-$1.5k range? i have the love my hd800s with the wa2 but it gets kinda hot especially now in the summer. i've tried the v200 and found the soundstage to be lacking so i sold.

I heard the Bryston BHA-1 does a nice job....Anyone agree?....Daniel?  biggrin.gif

post #5061 of 17730
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post

I heard the Bryston BHA-1 does a nice job....Anyone agree?....Daniel?  biggrin.gif

I thought it was a good amp. I might say I still prefer the Soloist to it in the same price range though. I'm a big fan of Bryston's products and I'm very seriously considering a BDA-2 DAC upgrade soon.

post #5062 of 17730

I have owned the bryston bha-1 and found it an average match for the hd 800. I returned it to the dealer after only a couple of days. get an hifiman ef-6. you'll thank me later.

 

that thing has unreal synergy with hd 800. in that price bracket I seriously doubt there is much better solid state amps. the ef-6 has a much better synergy than my own 3 channel b22. and the b22 drives the hd 800 beautifully.

 

my friend own a v200. I almost pulled the trigger on one myself. there is always one popping up on canuckaudiomart almost every month.  the v200 is a great amplifier, but the ef-6 has a much better synergy with the hd 800 and better soundstage too.

 

if I ever buy another amplifier for my hd 800 it is going to be an allnic audio hpa 5000.  there is a distributor in Canada that has one in stock and I am darn tempted to pull the trigger. but it is insanely expensive.

post #5063 of 17730

Well I'm pretty hard to please when it comes to ss amps for the HD800-I do really like the Bryston with it-but just as important is getting the dac to play well too since the BHA-1/HD800 is so revealing.It's good enought to keep as a second balanced cheap(ish) ss option for when my Levi arrives though, yeah. I have a feeling that the Ragnarok of all things might actually boost the Bryston's popularity around here when it arrives. Assuming reports are true that it will be 'just' a more powerful Mjolnir (personally, I don't think we know Schiit yet)-I could see the BHA-1 becoming a sleeper hit since it will be cheaper, and since most people who have heard both (MJ & Bryston) seem to prefer the Bryston, sound-wise. Or, I'm just thinking too much. :P

 

-Daniel

post #5064 of 17730
allnic hpa5000 i wish i had that, seems like its the perfect all in one solution
post #5065 of 17730
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post

Well I'm pretty hard to please when it comes to ss amps for the HD800-I do really like the Bryston with it-but just as important is getting the dac to play well too since the BHA-1/HD800 is so revealing.It's good enought to keep as a second balanced cheap(ish) ss option for when my Levi arrives though, yeah. I have a feeling that the Ragnarok of all things might actually boost the Bryston's popularity around here when it arrives. Assuming reports are true that it will be 'just' a more powerful Mjolnir (personally, I don't think we know Schiit yet)-I could see the BHA-1 becoming a sleeper hit since it will be cheaper, and since most people who have heard both (MJ & Bryston) seem to prefer the Bryston, sound-wise. Or, I'm just thinking too much. :P

 

-Daniel

Gotta say that the BDA-2 was a very enticing DAC. Something I still fondly remember a few months after I heard it at home. (Belonged zare: to a friend who is close by).

post #5066 of 17730

If I wasn't saving for an MSB Analog or Overdrive SE-I would have the BDA-2 right now I think. Just can't afford the inevitable buy and sell hit I'd take knowing I'd sell it in a couple of months to help fund the former. I'm sure I'll be eating my words in a month-ish. Has anyone here had the Bryston stack with the HD800s yet? Seems like I saw someone with just that...

 

-Daniel

post #5067 of 17730
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

Gotta say that the BDA-2 was a very enticing DAC. Something I still fondly remember a few months after I heard it at home. (Belonged zare: to a friend who is close by).

what price is that dac?

post #5068 of 17730
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post

what price is that dac?

MSRP is like $2350 I think...but I've found a local dealer here where I can get it for $2000. I preferred it to many more expensive DACs like the PWD2.

post #5069 of 17730

Moon Audio's site has the list price as $2395, but when I emailed Drew about a possible order, he quoted me $2150.

 

-Daniel

post #5070 of 17730
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

MSRP is like $2350 I think...but I've found a local dealer here where I can get it for $2000. I preferred it to many more expensive DACs like the PWD2.

it looks great i will have to add it to the list. anyone hear the new arcam? its in the same price range but i cant imagine it competing 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread