Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 33

post #481 of 12317

I'll be using a Sennheiser stock cable re-terminated until I get my DHC cable.

 

If you don't do it yourself BTG is pretty cheap.

post #482 of 12317

BTG is a good place for it at low cost. You could also go to an electronics repair shop and see if they can do it for you as well except you may have to order the parts.

post #483 of 12317

 Ugh... just pulled the trigger on a set. I feel dirty. This whole headphone thing may, in fact, be an addiction. Explaining to my fiance how the HD800's are different than my LCD2.2s or Sig Pros has become an exercise in futility. Let's see how they work out!

post #484 of 12317
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPoor View Post

 Ugh... just pulled the trigger on a set. I feel dirty. This whole headphone thing may, in fact, be an addiction. Explaining to my fiance how the HD800's are different than my LCD2.2s or Sig Pros has become an exercise in futility. Let's see how they work out!

In futility lol. We.l if she gives you too much grief at least its not too late to back out now. The  other half needs to understand and accept our passionL3000.gif

post #485 of 12317

Her engagement ring alone could buy a new car or a down payment on a house. She's cool with my headphone obsession and acts (seemingly) interested. Still is a tough pill to swallow. "Well the LCD's have great bass/mids, but the imaging and soundstage on the HD800's is vastly superior!" Turns into, "You spent over $100 again on headphones? I just don't get it. I love my Apple Earbuds". Then again I don't understand her need for Burberry purses...

post #486 of 12317
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPoor View Post

 "You spent over $100 again on headphones? I just don't get it. I love my Apple Earbuds". Then again I don't understand her need for Burberry purses...

 

biggrin.gif

 

Oh yeah!

post #487 of 12317
Originally Posted by TooPoor View Post

 Ugh... just pulled the trigger on a set. I feel dirty. This whole headphone thing may, in fact, be an addiction. Explaining to my fiance how the HD800's are different than my LCD2.2s or Sig Pros has become an exercise in futility. Let's see how they work out!

 

Congrats on the HD800 purchase.  I've had mine for a little over a month & used it daily.. so the 'honeymoon period' has worn off.. and I love them more than ever.

 

I see you're running the Amperex (US?) "Orange Globe" in the Lyr.. I have that same tube in my TubeDAC-11 and found them to be a terrific match with the HD800.  Fully, punchy bass.. smooth, liquid mids.. and crisp, snappy treble.  The Amperex OG & Voskhod "Rocket" are my two favorite 6922 tubes to use in the TD-11.

post #488 of 12317

 I did omit an 'e' on Amperex, unintentionally of course... But so far I love the whole 'tube' experience. I have socket savers, multiple tubes (though I prefer the Orange Globes), etc... I just hope that I can roll tubes to find some synergy with the HD800s. Some may argue that it's pointless, but at this point, I can only better my gear. With the exception of my IEMs, all my headphones are in the $1k+ range, and I presently don't desire any other set (maybe HE-6 w/ stereo amp?). This thread is just so humbling with talk of $2k+ amps and even more expensive DACs.

post #489 of 12317
Meh, it's only humbling if you let it be. These $2k amps and DACs aren't always better than the mid-fi stuff.
post #490 of 12317

 It's funny you should respond, as I see you have the BHA-1, which will be my next purchase most likely.... Let's see if I can wait more than a month!

post #491 of 12317
Well the BHA-1 isn't 2k+ tongue.gif
post #492 of 12317

 Touche, but matching DAC with it will be! I highly doubt my Bifrost will do the BHA-1 justice. Though I'm new at this, so I may be wrong, but I don't think so wink.gif

post #493 of 12317
Quote:

So instead of simply disagreeing with other's opinions you rather completely disregard their findings, nice.

 

I think you completely missed the context which things were said. Purrin never said the Stratus was just a muddy amp,

he was specifying in comparison to another amp.

Anyways, it was his findings and other's opinions and I just felt you were rude.

 

The only thing you got right was..each individual should hear both and decide for themselves, IMO.

 

I'm a little confused about having been rude.  It was not my intention to offend.  A link was posted to comments about the Stratus on another site and I merely pointed out that I disagreed and urged the poster asking the question about those findings to consider the opinion of those who actually own the amp being critiqued.  Seems scientific enough to me.  I never meant to disrespect others' findings  - although I must say that I do find the reference to enthusiastic support of the Stratus as the work of *fanboys* to be rude.  So I merely wanted to point out that that criticism could leveled at anyone who expresses enthusiasm for any product, so be careful.  Also, for reference, I have owned or currently own the ZD, the ECSS, and now two iterations of the BA - and I am a big fan of Craig's work - so I am somewhat familiar with the EC sound to which the Stratus was largely being compared.  Never would have occurred to me to call any contributions of EC threads the work of *fanboys* that's all.

post #494 of 12317
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPoor View Post

 I did omit an 'e' on Amperex, unintentionally of course... But so far I love the whole 'tube' experience. I have socket savers, multiple tubes (though I prefer the Orange Globes), etc... I just hope that I can roll tubes to find some synergy with the HD800s. Some may argue that it's pointless, but at this point, I can only better my gear. With the exception of my IEMs, all my headphones are in the $1k+ range, and I presently don't desire any other set (maybe HE-6 w/ stereo amp?). This thread is just so humbling with talk of $2k+ amps and even more expensive DACs.

 

Get a matched pair of 60's Bugle Boys. I loved the OGs for the HD650 but they're too murky for the HD800. The Bifrost/Lyr should tide you over until you can step up to more adequate components.

post #495 of 12317

 Already all over it (I hope). Just grabbed these:

 

AMPEREX BUGLE BOY 6DJ8 ECC88 VACUUM TUBE 1964 O GETTER STRAIGHT MAN MATCH PAIR

 

 Will see how they do against the Orange Globes!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread