Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 305

post #4561 of 12128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalker81598 View Post

This is exactly why I'm so interested in the WA2. Now it's just a matter of saving up the funds. Any recommendations on which, if any, of the tube upgrades on the product page are worth it?

 

the Tung Sol 7236 are pretty nice if you can't find tung sol 5998, these tubes are kinda hard to find, so this wouldn't be a bad buy. 

the best by far for the HD 800 though are the GEC 6AS7G, most transparent, sweet beautiful tube sound (Even better than 5998 which is already quite impressive), great textured tight bass, and very detailed treble and mids, lots of air. it can be a little bright at first, but after the tubes are fully warmed up, they sound amazing.

 

the Westinghouse 6V4 option jack sells is a total ripoff. look for a mullard ez80 or RFT EZ80 (these are easily found for $25 a pair NOS). 

 

i wouldn't pay 290$ for amperex 7308 either, though i'm sure they're decent tubes.

amprex 6dj8 bugle boys or some of the nicer amperex tubes are good for HD 800. im sure the siemens tubes are pretty good too. and my old favorite the jan sylvania 7308 is pretty good too, a little darker, but nice. 


Edited by Dubstep Girl - 8/6/13 at 8:59pm
post #4562 of 12128

didnt wanna go off topic here as this is a HD800 thread, but i felt i had to say this. i decided to try out the black dragon recabled T1 just for hell of it on the Audio Space 300b & HOLY HOT GLOWING BOTTLES Batman....the T1s sounds fantastic bordering on awesome! 

 

to my ears, the T1 shares alot of the good "stuff" with the HD800 but loses out (slightly) in soundstage & perhaps detail delineation & i always felt the T1s had a penchant for sibilance even with the SE EL84 amp so much so i enjoyed the senns more. now driven by the Audio Space 300, me thinks the T1 has equaled if not perhaps even supercedes the senns esp with pop, r&b & rock while equaling the senns on jazz and vocals. the T1 slams hard, has great mids, super detailed, wide wide soundstage (perhaps loses out to the senn in depth but i cant be sure) & has crazy extended sparkly airy highs without any sibilance nor harshness. simple amazing & to think i was going to sell the T1.....but instead, i find myself in quite a pickle of having to choose now. T1 owners owe it to themselves to finds a synergistic amp for a shocking experience. imho this 300b amp def suits the T1!

 

s'cuse the rambling. now back to regularly scheduled programming of Senn-fi....

post #4563 of 12128
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiebabie View Post

didnt wanna go off topic here as this is a HD800 thread, but i felt i had to say this. i decided to try out the black dragon recabled T1 just for hell of it on the Audio Space 300b & HOLY HOT GLOWING BOTTLES Batman....the T1s sounds fantastic bordering on awesome! 

 

to my ears, the T1 shares alot of the good "stuff" with the HD800 but loses out (slightly) in soundstage & perhaps detail delineation & i always felt the T1s had a penchant for sibilance even with the SE EL84 amp so much so i enjoyed the senns more. now driven by the Audio Space 300, me thinks the T1 has equaled if not perhaps even supercedes the senns esp with pop, r&b & rock while equaling the senns on jazz and vocals. the T1 slams hard, has great mids, super detailed, wide wide soundstage (perhaps loses out to the senn in depth but i cant be sure) & has crazy extended sparkly airy highs without any sibilance nor harshness. simple amazing & to think i was going to sell the T1.....but instead, i find myself in quite a pickle of having to choose now. T1 owners owe it to themselves to finds a synergistic amp for a shocking experience. imho this 300b amp def suits the T1!

 

s'cuse the rambling. now back to regularly scheduled programming of Senn-fi....

 

yes!!!

 

beerchug.gif

 

the T1 is very good if you find the amp for it. but yeah back to the HD 800....


Edited by Dubstep Girl - 8/6/13 at 9:48pm
post #4564 of 12128

hahaha yes....the T1s are almost electrostatic like. the highs are incredible - so extended it seems to go on forever, so detailed my mind cant process all the info! its electric like quick as well! i think i mite have a stax killer combo as the highs most reminds me of my Quad ESL experience long ago. crazy how an amp can change something good into something great!

post #4565 of 12128

What would you guys say is the best amp in the $1-1.6k range for the HD800? I prefer a warmer sound, and am willing to sacrifice a bit of detail to get more body and thickness to the mids and bass, but soundstage must be remain good. Currently I'm looking at the WA2, WA6SE, CSP2+, Taboo MK III. Source is a Bifrost w/ Uber (single ended). Thanks guys!

post #4566 of 12128

WA2 with the GEC tubes.

 

no WA6-SE, not as good as WA2. im sure the decware amps are great as well!


Edited by Dubstep Girl - 8/6/13 at 10:25pm
post #4567 of 12128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

WA2 with the GEC tubes.

 

no WA6-SE, not as good as WA2.

What kind of tubes are those, power/rectifier/driver and how much would the tubes run me extra? also how is the wa2 with stock tubes for the hd800? thanks for the reply!

post #4568 of 12128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd007 View Post

What kind of tubes are those, power/rectifier/driver and how much would the tubes run me extra? also how is the wa2 with stock tubes for the hd800? thanks for the reply!

 

power tubes, like maybe $400 a pair. but i think its worth it, they really take the HD 800 to the next level. 

 

the stock tubes aren't very good. it'll be warm and pretty good but grainy and with some lack of transparency. under $100 in tube upgrades would be a noticeable improvement, but if you can get the GEC tubes or even $200 a pair Tung Sol 5998 would be great. 

 

im sure the decware amps would be decent as well.

post #4569 of 12128

IMHO opinion, EL84 6bq5 output tubes seems to do great bass with the HD800. my simple SE EL84 amp slams harder than the 300b i just got. another headfi whom i know has tried a whole buncha amps (including Decware CSP2+ & Taboo combo) is ending his search (for now i guess) with the discovery of the Luxman SQ-N10. and yes, the Luxman is also uses EL84 as output.

post #4570 of 12128
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post

Ready...
























Set...



































deadhorse.gif
!

-Daniel
Lol, haven't had a laugh that good from a thread in awhile. Cheers.

It amazes me by just how thin skinned some folks are regardless of being on the internetz.
Edited by DarKen23 - 8/6/13 at 11:20pm
post #4571 of 12128
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post

deadhorse.gif

 

Can anyone explain the meaning of this emoticon? I'm not asking a rhetorical question, I really have no idea what to make out of it. A guy listening to headphones beating a dog (or a horse?)... listening to headphones with his head inside a plastic bag? Am I the only one here who doesn't get the punchline (if there is even one)? Yet this emoticon seems to be used by a lot of folks here. Help me out here, Captain Obvious.

post #4572 of 12128

Beating a dead horse is... continuing to go off about something that leads to nothing, and the point of it has already passed, or something along the lines of that. Basically arguing about cables is beating a dead horse. There is no point. I do this quite often. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by songmic View Post

 

Can anyone explain the meaning of this emoticon? I'm not asking a rhetorical question, I really have no idea what to make out of it. A guy listening to headphones beating a dog (or a horse?)... listening to headphones with his head inside a plastic bag? Am I the only one here who doesn't get the punchline (if there is even one)? Yet this emoticon seems to be used by a lot of folks here. Help me out here, Captain Obvious.

post #4573 of 12128
Quote:
Originally Posted by songmic View Post

 

Can anyone explain the meaning of this emoticon? I'm not asking a rhetorical question, I really have no idea what to make out of it. A guy listening to headphones beating a dog (or a horse?)... listening to headphones with his head inside a plastic bag? Am I the only one here who doesn't get the punchline (if there is even one)? Yet this emoticon seems to be used by a lot of folks here. Help me out here, Captain Obvious.

 

Beating a dead horse..  Ha ha ha ha..biggrin.gif

 

http://www.knowyourphrase.com/phrase-meanings/Beating-a-Dead-Horse.html

post #4574 of 12128
There's an additional dimension to it. The headphones worn by the horse are Sennheisers and the bag looking thing is the Sennheiser 'Veil'.
post #4575 of 12128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls Generation View Post

Beating a dead horse is... continuing to go off about something that leads to nothing, and the point of it has already passed, or something along the lines of that. Basically arguing about cables is beating a dead horse. There is no point. I do this quite often. :P

 

Oh... I know what beating a dead horse means, but it didn't occur to me that that emoticon was referring to beating a dead horse. I mean, it looks more like a dog than a horse, and it surely doesn't look dead when it's smiling with headphones over its head.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread