Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 2/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- How come if a Headphone has deep and strong bass is not considered a 'audiofile headphone... Last post on 9/10/14 at 10:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Paradox Slants as EndGame HP over everything else Last post on 9/12/14 at 12:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Stax SRS-4170 system vs HD 800 vs LCD3 Last post on 8/29/14 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The Irish Still Make Headphones? Last post on 9/2/14 at 6:11pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HE-560 versus HD800 (Anaxilus 2 modded) - impressions after a 2 hour A/B session Last post on Yesterday at 4:36 pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
I just received this device, along with a FiIO X5 to replace my now discontinued iPod classic. At first I liked this device - smaller, lighter than the FiIO, although only 1 slot. Shipped...
i just bought an Asus Vulcan pro gaming headset on a whim and I've gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised so I thought id share my experience. Now let me qualify this, I'm not saying they have the same...
Warm sound, good mid, great price Easy to drive compare with other studio headphone, there is shouldn't be too much complaint consider this headphone now only retail about $70 and sound really...
So the Pan Am from ALO Audio. This little guy is pretty dang impressive. An excellently-built, functioning desktop solution that is pretty easy on the eyes too! For the record, I've got the whole...
REVIEW: Brainwavz S5 Specifications: (from Brainwavz site) Driver: 10mm Dynamic Rated Impedance: 16 Ω Frequency Range: 18Hz - 24kHz Sensitivity: 110 dB @ 1 mW Cable: 1.3m,...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 30
Gear mentioned in this thread:
S/N 4380 checking in...I bought them as "factory refurbished" from a local shop last May and they sound fantastic. Not sure what exactly was refurbished so I could have newer drivers or maybe not. Either way, I heard them (only pair they had) and had to have them.
I am listening to them with my speaker amp through speaker taps right now and they sound even more fantabulous.
Usually it the amp that cant handle the swing of the recordings. The hd800 us very easy to drive but will scale up with upstream amps. The headphone can handle everything and I have never hear it collapse even on my most demanding albums. I have hdcd recordings that will challenge the most demanding systems and the HD800 always performs. I came from ultra high end 2 channel and had the 15K Genesis V driven by another 20K worth of amps ad preamps and sources and the HD800 satisfy me and very happy with my setup. Keep working at and try different amps and sources and maybe you will find the right combo for you. It takes a bit of time to adjust but I find the experience more intimate and hardly use speakers anymore,
The Lyr is my first personally owned tube amp, also it's the first time I've had to break in tubes. Well I'm around 100hrs in with this pair and it happened. i
Moving beyond the *lame* discussion of serial numbers, I'd like to plug my favorite amp for the HD800 which is the DNA Stratus. The 2a3 is a great complement to the 800s. Directly heated triodes in general seem better than any smaller dual triodes or octals. They allow the 800s to retain their even frequency reponse while fleshing them out both up and down. The precise bones take on great body. The 2a3 is the best I've heard so far- better than the 300b. Next is the 45 when I get my BA redone. Any thoughts?
+1 on the Stratus/HD800. No need to worry too much about serial numbers, mods, or cables. Just plug and play.
Took a peak at it and before I spend that much... I think I would DIY. IMHO when you start to get into point to point wired gear... tweaking to your preference is key. Are there any circuit board designed amps out there that are even in the same ballpark as this amp?
- The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › 6SN7 Tube Addicts 1 minute ago
- › InEarZ (Fisher Hearing) Custom Remold Owner's Thread 1 minute ago
- › Weird Sennheiser Urbanite Ad 2 minutes ago
- › Tea-Fi? 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant! 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 5 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0 6 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by RickFrank
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by lumberjake
- › Schiit Audio Ragnarok by goldendarko
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)