Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 290

post #4336 of 14706

It's funny, because I'm sure there are a lot of people who would say, they would never buy a $1500 headphone.

 

It's all relative. Yes, you wouldn't buy a 50k DAC, but you don't (I'm assuming) have 50k to spend on a DAC.

 

But to a multi-millionaire, would it be a problem for them? Probably not. If I had a $100 million, yea I'd buy a DAC like that.

post #4337 of 14706
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

Oh God no. Sorry...I'm a big fan of the HD800s and the SR009s are in a whole new class over them with every genre of music. As clean and transparent as the HD800s are, the SR-009s make them seem muddy. wink.gif

 

baka1969 (a HUGE HD800 fan) was in town a few months back and got to hear my HD800/GS-X and SR-009/KGSS and there was no comparison in his words. Initially before he heard them, he mentioned, just how much better can they be as the HD800s were awesome headphones....then he put them on and was shocked (just like I was last September when I got them). The HD800s may image a bit wider, but that's it...the SR-009s take every other category. His final comment was, just sell the HD800s, after hearing the SR-009s, he didn't understand why I needed both. smile.gif His views only solidified as he heard them several more times over the week during his visit.

 

That said, I'm such a big fan of the HD800s, I'm still keeping them.

 

Wow..Really?? The Sr-009 makes the HD800 sound muddy? That's amazing.  What cable did you use with the HD800?

 

I'd heard the sr-009 had a tiny bit less "plankton level detail" compared to the HD800, but sounded much more smooth. Is this statement not true?

 

I have to demo the sr--009!

post #4338 of 14706
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post


You certainly haven't. I used to own the 727II. wink.gif

Regardless, with that amp, the SR009s were fantastic.

 

Hmm, well, maybe ... :)

We have different ears beerchug.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by citadel View Post

Thanks for your impressions. I just wanted additional opinions to David Mahler's excellent review (well, a little bit more 'real-world' at least). Not everyone has a TOTL $40000 DAC to test with. basshead.gif

 

I'd say be confidence and trust your own ears wink.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKen23 View Post


Just because a DAC's price tag is 40k does not make it TOTL..In fact, if I saw a dac marketed at 40k, Id just laugh because 40k for a digital-to-analog converter would be absurd.

 

I dare not say that until I hear them myself.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKen23 View Post


No I havent, generally people do not go around investigating a dac priced at 40k. Tell me, what is it about that dac thats worth 40k, are the caps molded from materials only found on the planet Uranus?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKen23 View Post


Yea I get it (not really). Seriously though, Im not trying to offend you or put you on the spot, but you have to admit 40k for a dac is quite humorous. Even if I was a "billionaire" myself, I probably would purchase this 40k dac only to then immediately return it because It probably wouldnt even sound THAT good or sound like 40k. Someone here on head-fi mentioned that there are dacs out there that are insultingly priced, built by someone who doesn't know a thing about sound using luxury caps and etc.

 

Guys, don't be like that.  It's the art of making them, not the material.

 

 

How much do you think the raw material to produce this paintings and how much do you think people are willing to buy them.

Search yourself in Google.

Skeptics would argue that their pre-schooler kids can draw something like that too.

 

Now back to the topic ......................

post #4339 of 14706
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

Oh God no. Sorry...I'm a big fan of the HD800s and the SR009s are in a whole new class over them with every genre of music. As clean and transparent as the HD800s are, the SR-009s make them seem muddy. wink.gif

Is it really so much of a difference to say the HD800 sounds "muddy" in comparison or is this just another case of audiophile hyperbole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post

You'd laugh more to know that there's a 150k Dac which still uses NOS Dac chip, together with a tube buffered SPDIF input + tube output stage =p (and don't forget boutique caps + exotic transformers).

What is an exotic transformer? Is that like a robot stripper from the planet Cybertron? Is it decorated with boutique caps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by songmic View Post

If you put it that way, most folks who listen to crappy iBuds would find our hobby of investing $1-2K on headphones and amps hilarious as well.

I have no doubt they do in fact find it hilarious. But spending $1500 on a HD800 and $40000 on a DAC is barely comparable. That's almost as much money as I make in a year. I could buy two cars for the price of that DAC. I guess it's all relative though. Someone who makes $300k a year might find it more reasonable.
post #4340 of 14706
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKen23 View Post

The past 2 weeks the HD800 have been constantly calling my name..And I am literally about to give in. Can someone please give me(coming from LCD2r2) a reason not to lol..*sigh*

The LCD2's look cooler...?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigy626 View Post

Would like some advice can a vacuum be used to clean the HD800's at a very low level. Would this cause can damage to the driver. I am talking the lowest setting. I can see some debris inside the driver do not know how it got inside. If it can not be done what sort of damage can be caused by taking such an action? 

The drivers are tougher than you think, If they can handle bowl loosening bass at a crazy volume (and they can I've tried it) then a little bit of sucky suck suck won't hurt them. In fact they might even enjoy it! 

post #4341 of 14706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalker81598 View Post

Is it really so much of a difference to say the HD800 sounds "muddy" in comparison or is this just another case of audiophile hyperbole?

I'd say, it's 'relative-to'. Even after listening to SA3000, HD800 sounds muddy', and that's because SA3K has more treble emphasize, HD800 treble sounds 'roll off'.
post #4342 of 14706
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBull View Post

I'd say, it's 'relative-to'. Even after listening to SA3000, HD800 sounds muddy', and that's because SA3K has more treble emphasize, HD800 treble sounds 'roll off'.

I've never heard the SR-009 or SA3000, but I just can't imagine a scenario in which I would ever describe the HD800 as "muddy". If it's really that much of a difference, both of those headphones must be extremely unbalanced and terrible to listen to.
post #4343 of 14706

After listening to the SA5000 with it's earbleeding treble the HD800 sounds muddy only because the sound has to propagate through the blood in the ears.

post #4344 of 14706
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKen23 View Post

The past 2 weeks the HD800 have been constantly calling my name..And I am literally about to give in. Can someone please give me(coming from LCD2r2) a reason not to lol..*sigh*
The LCD2's look cooler...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigy626 View Post

Would like some advice can a vacuum be used to clean the HD800's at a very low level. Would this cause can damage to the driver. I am talking the lowest setting. I can see some debris inside the driver do not know how it got inside. If it can not be done what sort of damage can be caused by taking such an action? 
The drivers are tougher than you think, If they can handle bowl loosening bass at a crazy volume (and they can I've tried it) then a little bit of sucky suck suck won't hurt them. In fact they might even enjoy it! 
I always thought the HD800 looks much cooler. The LCD2 does have its own style, but the HD800 looks like headphones that "grey aliens" would use. Thanks for the opinion though!
post #4345 of 14706
Quote:
Originally Posted by songmic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalker81598 View Post

I'm sure it sounds good, but I would never consider paying anywhere close to $10k for a DAC. $40k is just hilarious. But hey, if it makes someone happy then more power to them.

If you put it that way, most folks who listen to crappy iBuds would find our hobby of investing $1-2K on headphones and amps hilarious as well. But hey, I'm not gonna judge unless I actually get to try them out with my own ears. I hope people here who find spending $40K on a DAC hilarious or ridiculous are saying that AFTER they've actually heard them too. If I were rolling in cash like David Solomon, so much cash that I could afford a Sennheiser Orpheus, two pairs of R10's, SR-009, SR-Omega, and another 50-ish headphones that cost around $1K or more, along with several amps costing $5K and upwards, AND still had like $50K lying around, then why not a $40K DAC?

Although I don't agree with his ranking of headphones entirely (okay I'll admit it, placing the TH900 below the HD600 is preposterous IMO), what I respect more than just his collection of headphones and gears is his dedication. And dedication is the main driving force behind these expensive hobbies.
You're absolutely right in that one shouldn't judge a product without ACTUALLY hearing it, that applies to myself as well. But seriously, for 1. You carelessly throw the "talk AFTER youve heard it" suggestion with a 40k unit that is readily available to me at my local Walmart, What would you say the % is of head-fiers that even get to hear one priced at 40k, not to mention that its probably bull**** whos attempting to gain fame and glory over teh internetz. 2. I highly doubt a 40k+ dac offers a life changing experience any more than a 10k dac would, Ive never heard any dac even close to 10k--but 10k makes more sense than 40.

Can someone get a person here thats auditioned a 40k+ dac? Id love a FULL IMPRESSION and a comparison popcorn.gif.. Should be interesting, dont you agree?
post #4346 of 14706

Why do you get so ... well I don't know what to call this behavior ... zealous over a dac? What about supercar, 5 figure watch/pet fish/bonsai? tongue_smile.gif

 

It's not that hard really. Call your nearest dealer and drive there, I'm sure they would let you demo even the dCS stack (which is four times more expensive than the MSB btw). Won't be life-changing for sure, but if it helps you feel better ....

post #4347 of 14706

I've heard the 009s and I own the HD800s.  I would not describe the HD800s as muddy compared to anything.  However, the 009s are for sure as MH said..  That much better.  The HD800s has it's place and it's not in the 009s lane.  

 

IMO the HE-6 comes the closest to the 009s anyway.  Ha ha ha...biggrin.gif

post #4348 of 14706

Do I just sense a Sr-009 and T2DIY around the corner, prepo? tongue_smile.gif

post #4349 of 14706
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post

Do I just sense a Sr-009 and T2DIY around the corner, prepo? tongue_smile.gif

009s and a KGSSHV  It's a coming....biggrin.gif

 

You can't find many people that will build a T2 for you.  To demanding..

post #4350 of 14706
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

009s and a KGSSHV  It's a coming....biggrin.gif

 

You can't find many people that will build a T2 for you.  To demanding..

Fishski won't touch it?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread