What are the thoughts on the Woo WA22 with the HD800s?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 2/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled! Last post on Today at 10:14 pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Sennheiser HD800 (like new) Price with shipping inside EU Last post on 5/21/15 at 10:20am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- HD800: Valhalla2 or Lyr2 Last post on 6/7/16 at 7:39pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- McIntosh MHA-100 headphone amplifier review Last post on 12/1/16 at 1:38pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- My Grado SR325e's lost their magic Last post on 8/23/15 at 5:45am in Headphones (full-size)
I took the scenic route to loving these headphones and almost sold it a couple of times. I picked these up for free thanks to a promotion my carrier Freedom mobile was doing where if you buy the LG...
About Me: I came into the world of audio from a guitar background, buying up tube amps from when I was a kid and was always fascinated with them. Then I ended up buying my first decent pair...
Disclaimer: This unit was provided to me by Brannan of Noble Audio to provide the guy’s participating in the massdrop, or those on the fence, with a better idea of what to expect. This is cutting...
These are just plain excellent. I was never really a believer in IEMs, but I am now. These Philips SHE3590s are a real eye-opener. According to the ratings here on Head-Fi, these do, in fact,...
Lately it seems that almost every week there are new (or at least unheard of by most) companies releasing new DAPs (Digital Audio Players). This is great for the consumer because more products...
The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 269
Gear mentioned in this thread:
WA22 depending on tubes is more or less a stand in for the B22. B22 being slightly better in staging and separation but otherwise you'd be hard pressed to pick them out in a blind A/B.
M-stage works really well for the price imo.
I thought the Asgard 2 did a good job driving them.
A bottlehead crack with speedball is excellent with hd800s. take a gander at the crack thread for lots of comparisons and impressions on the pairing.
Edit, regarding extrabigmehdi comment above- there's no need to speculate about the crack's distortion specs, particularly if you've never even heard the amp The fact of the matter is that it is more detailed, punchy and dynamic, and quite a bit less tubey, than other frequently recommended commercial tube options (i.e. Woo amps). With the constant current upgrade in place, the crack is simply a very well thought out otl kit amp, that pairs tremendously well with sennheisers and which also has great community support through the bh forums. Because it has a high output impedance (like most all other otl's), it boosts the hd800's bass a bit due to the spike in the hd800's impedance curve.
Yes, it pairs very well with HD800, but mine is CS300XS, which according to Skylab, is no different than CS300 headphone out. It adds a touch warmth in the midrange. Detail, 3D space, dynamic, treble sparks, air is very nice with 800.
Mine fortunately is very quiet with all range of impedance (spare the IEMs), from the very sensitive AD2K, HD650, HD800 and LCD 2.1
Edited by RedBull - 7/28/13 at 4:08pm
Well, you said that it's less tubey. I deduce that it's still tubey ,so it's no more "speculation " but deduction. (and frankly I'll assume this each time that someone say that a particular tube "sound great" : there's no advantage of tubes over solid state except coloration & distorsion).
Add to the mix a limited damping factor, but the hdvd800 does also this.
I didn't "heard the amp", but I've read enough experts opinion on the question.
- The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★FAQ in 3rd post!★☆ 35 seconds ago
- › Advanced AcousticWerkes W900 Hybrid Flagship Thread 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 1 minute ago
- › FiiO M3, Ultra-Portable|8G+64G|2.0" 320*240... 3 minutes ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea 4 minutes ago
- › Help me choose a new pair of headphones, thanks! 5 minutes ago
- › Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid... 7 minutes ago
- › Xiaomi Mi Hybrid Earphone In-Ear Headphones Multi-unit Circle Iron... by junhawng
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H3 by 8hours
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by SeeSax
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by WCDchee
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by Trevayne10
- › NiNTAUS X10 HiFi Lossless Music Player by crabdog
- › Vibro Labs Maya quad armature in-ear monitors by FortisFlyer75
- › Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC by davehg
- › AKG K 420 Foldable Mini Headphone - Blue by Johannus
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by Takeanidea
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear