or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 269

post #4021 of 24366

What are the thoughts on the Woo WA22 with the HD800s?

post #4022 of 24366

has anyone compared the schiit lyr vs the asgard 2 with the hd800s?

post #4023 of 24366
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

What are the thoughts on the Woo WA22 with the HD800s?

 

WA22 depending on tubes is more or less a stand in for the B22.  B22 being slightly better in staging and separation but otherwise you'd be hard pressed to pick them out in a blind A/B.

post #4024 of 24366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post

I was just wondering what people thought was the cheapest amp that works okay with the hd800 is?

M-stage works really well for the price imo. 

post #4025 of 24366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post

I was just wondering what people thought was the cheapest amp that works okay with the hd800 is?

I thought the Asgard 2 did a good job driving them.

post #4026 of 24366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post

I was just wondering what people thought was the cheapest amp that works okay with the hd800 is?

A bottlehead crack with speedball is excellent with hd800s. take a gander at the crack thread for lots of comparisons and impressions on the pairing.

Edit, regarding extrabigmehdi comment above- there's no need to speculate about the crack's distortion specs, particularly if you've never even heard the amp rolleyes.gif The fact of the matter is that it is more detailed, punchy and dynamic, and quite a bit less tubey, than other frequently recommended commercial tube options (i.e. Woo amps). With the constant current upgrade in place, the crack is simply a very well thought out otl kit amp, that pairs tremendously well with sennheisers and which also has great community support through the bh forums. Because it has a high output impedance (like most all other otl's), it boosts the hd800's bass a bit due to the spike in the hd800's impedance curve.
post #4027 of 24366
Anybody who has heard HD800 through the headphone output of Leben CS300? I just bought the amp thinking it would be a nice pairing with the HD800. The amp also has a bass boost with may be useful with it, I expect.
post #4028 of 24366
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

M-stage works really well for the price imo. 

This. The Corda Rock works surprisingly well too, and doubles as the cutest amp ever.

 

-Daniel

post #4029 of 24366
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsHP View Post

Anybody who has heard HD800 through the headphone output of Leben CS300? I just bought the amp thinking it would be a nice pairing with the HD800. The amp also has a bass boost with may be useful with it, I expect.

Yes, it pairs very well with HD800, but mine is CS300XS, which according to Skylab, is no different than CS300 headphone out. It adds a touch warmth in the midrange. Detail, 3D space, dynamic, treble sparks, air is very nice with 800.
post #4030 of 24366
Quote:

DMinches has that mod I believe to the BDP95

post #4031 of 24366
Thanks! I think the CS300XS is a better spec'ed version with NOS tubes, but they are basically the same, yes.


Do you hear any hiss or hum?
post #4032 of 24366
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptic View Post


A bottlehead crack with speedball is excellent with hd800s. take a gander at the crack thread for lots of comparisons and impressions on the pairing.

Edit, regarding extrabigmehdi comment above- there's no need to speculate about the crack's distortion specs, particularly if you've never even heard the amp rolleyes.gif The fact of the matter is that it is more detailed, punchy and dynamic, and quite a bit less tubey, than other frequently recommended commercial tube options (i.e. Woo amps). With the constant current upgrade in place, the crack is simply a very well thought out otl kit amp, that pairs tremendously well with sennheisers and which also has great community support through the bh forums. Because it has a high output impedance (like most all other otl's), it boosts the hd800's bass a bit due to the spike in the hd800's impedance curve.

Well, you said that it's less tubey. I deduce that it's still tubey ,so it's no more "speculation " but deduction. (and frankly I'll assume this each time that someone say that a particular tube "sound great" : there's no advantage of tubes over solid state except coloration & distorsion).

Add to the mix a limited damping factor, but the hdvd800 does also this.

I didn't "heard the amp", but I've read enough experts opinion on the question.

post #4033 of 24366
Yes, it is, but it does not translate into better sound. Skylab have both, primarily only for headphhone, then he sold the XS because it produce the same SQ, for headphone.
Mine fortunately is very quiet with all range of impedance (spare the IEMs), from the very sensitive AD2K, HD650, HD800 and LCD 2.1
Edited by RedBull - 7/28/13 at 4:08pm
post #4034 of 24366
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post

Well, you said that it's less tubey. I deduce that it's still tubey ,so it's no more "speculation " but deduction. (and frankly I'll assume this each time that someone say that a particular tube "sound great" : there's no advantage of tubes over solid state except coloration & distorsion).

Add to the mix a limited damping factor, but the hdvd800 does also this.

I didn't "heard the amp", but I've read enough experts opinion on the question.

rolleyes.gif

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

deadhorse.gif

post #4035 of 24366
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post

deadhorse.gif

+1ph34r.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread