What are the thoughts on the Woo WA22 with the HD800s?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 2/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled! Last post on Yesterday at 3:20 pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Sennheiser HD800 (like new) Price with shipping inside EU Last post on 5/21/15 at 10:20am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- HD800: Valhalla2 or Lyr2 Last post on 6/7/16 at 7:39pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- McIntosh MHA-100 headphone amplifier review Last post on 12/1/16 at 1:38pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- My Grado SR325e's lost their magic Last post on 8/23/15 at 5:45am in Headphones (full-size)
Build/Accessories: The Earsonics SM3 is a triple balanced armature IEM, with one driver for the lows, one for the mids, and one for the treble region. the shell is clear acryllic on the...
Introduction – The X5 is perhaps the quintessential Fiio player, it was one of their first devices and also one of their most universally acclaimed. Fiio have come far since the unveiling of the...
Introduction FiiO X5-2 is the second generation of X5 DAPs (digital audio players) from FiiO. I owned a FiiO X5 for quite a while before buying X5-2 and I was...
Brainwavz is a company that should be well known by now to anyone who's familiar with Head-Fi. Known for their excellent build quality and reasonable prices, Brainwavz should always be on your...
Introduction I have been an enthusiastic headphone user for many MANY years now. My first set of serious headphones were the open-backed Sennheiser HD400 headphones. From what I remember about...
The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 269
Gear mentioned in this thread:
WA22 depending on tubes is more or less a stand in for the B22. B22 being slightly better in staging and separation but otherwise you'd be hard pressed to pick them out in a blind A/B.
M-stage works really well for the price imo.
I thought the Asgard 2 did a good job driving them.
A bottlehead crack with speedball is excellent with hd800s. take a gander at the crack thread for lots of comparisons and impressions on the pairing.
Edit, regarding extrabigmehdi comment above- there's no need to speculate about the crack's distortion specs, particularly if you've never even heard the amp The fact of the matter is that it is more detailed, punchy and dynamic, and quite a bit less tubey, than other frequently recommended commercial tube options (i.e. Woo amps). With the constant current upgrade in place, the crack is simply a very well thought out otl kit amp, that pairs tremendously well with sennheisers and which also has great community support through the bh forums. Because it has a high output impedance (like most all other otl's), it boosts the hd800's bass a bit due to the spike in the hd800's impedance curve.
Yes, it pairs very well with HD800, but mine is CS300XS, which according to Skylab, is no different than CS300 headphone out. It adds a touch warmth in the midrange. Detail, 3D space, dynamic, treble sparks, air is very nice with 800.
Mine fortunately is very quiet with all range of impedance (spare the IEMs), from the very sensitive AD2K, HD650, HD800 and LCD 2.1
Edited by RedBull - 7/28/13 at 4:08pm
Well, you said that it's less tubey. I deduce that it's still tubey ,so it's no more "speculation " but deduction. (and frankly I'll assume this each time that someone say that a particular tube "sound great" : there's no advantage of tubes over solid state except coloration & distorsion).
Add to the mix a limited damping factor, but the hdvd800 does also this.
I didn't "heard the amp", but I've read enough experts opinion on the question.
- The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
- › MYSPHERE 3.1-UNIQUE in SOUND&DESIGN&BUILD QUALITY 2 minutes ago
- › SE530/535 Acoustic Filter Mod: More SQ improvement than cables?... 2 minutes ago
- › Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - 👌 screenless budget... 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 3 minutes ago
- › Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones 5 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 5 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 5 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 5 minutes ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Absolute best budget earbuds? 6 minutes ago
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by mrstrangeguy
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Brainwavz B150 by crabdog
- › 1MORE1008 Earbud by Peddler
- › Cayin i5 by subguy812
- › Lotoo Paw Pico by twister6
- › Shanling UP Portable DAC/Headphone Amplifier AMP ES9018K2M+MAX97... by ngoshawk
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by rafaelpernil
- › PureSounds PS100-600 by BloodyPenguin
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear