What are the thoughts on the Woo WA22 with the HD800s?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 2/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- They might be Kings: Focal Utopia, Sony MDR-Z1R, HiFiMan HE1000 V2 and MrSpeakers Ether Flow... Last post on 4/18/17 at 9:23am in Currawong
- Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled! Last post on 4/20/17 at 1:25pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Sennheiser HD800 (like new) Price with shipping inside EU Last post on 5/21/15 at 10:20am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- HD800: Valhalla2 or Lyr2 Last post on 6/7/16 at 7:39pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- McIntosh MHA-100 headphone amplifier review Last post on 12/1/16 at 1:38pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
These headphones are well known for its low price and quality. I think they should be called shockers because when you look at them its one thing but when you listen to them suddenly they change to...
Final chose me to review the F7200 (review here) and the F4100 ($280) and provided samples free of charge. I have spent several days listening to the F4100, and I believe I can give an...
Lately, it seems that I’ve found myself more and more frequently using high power requirement cans on the go. The downside with that is that my phone & likely not even my DAP has enough juice...
My preferred sound signature: A bit bass heavy, forward mids, and neutral treble. Love high detailed and clear sound. *All critical listening is done using a Chord Mojo* In almost every...
Introduction Meze 99 Neo – The new classic headphone from Meze. Meze 99 Neo is the new headphone, or rather a headphone with a twist from the Romanian headphone producer Meze....
The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 269
Gear mentioned in this thread:
WA22 depending on tubes is more or less a stand in for the B22. B22 being slightly better in staging and separation but otherwise you'd be hard pressed to pick them out in a blind A/B.
M-stage works really well for the price imo.
I thought the Asgard 2 did a good job driving them.
A bottlehead crack with speedball is excellent with hd800s. take a gander at the crack thread for lots of comparisons and impressions on the pairing.
Edit, regarding extrabigmehdi comment above- there's no need to speculate about the crack's distortion specs, particularly if you've never even heard the amp The fact of the matter is that it is more detailed, punchy and dynamic, and quite a bit less tubey, than other frequently recommended commercial tube options (i.e. Woo amps). With the constant current upgrade in place, the crack is simply a very well thought out otl kit amp, that pairs tremendously well with sennheisers and which also has great community support through the bh forums. Because it has a high output impedance (like most all other otl's), it boosts the hd800's bass a bit due to the spike in the hd800's impedance curve.
Yes, it pairs very well with HD800, but mine is CS300XS, which according to Skylab, is no different than CS300 headphone out. It adds a touch warmth in the midrange. Detail, 3D space, dynamic, treble sparks, air is very nice with 800.
Mine fortunately is very quiet with all range of impedance (spare the IEMs), from the very sensitive AD2K, HD650, HD800 and LCD 2.1
Edited by RedBull - 7/28/13 at 4:08pm
Well, you said that it's less tubey. I deduce that it's still tubey ,so it's no more "speculation " but deduction. (and frankly I'll assume this each time that someone say that a particular tube "sound great" : there's no advantage of tubes over solid state except coloration & distorsion).
Add to the mix a limited damping factor, but the hdvd800 does also this.
I didn't "heard the amp", but I've read enough experts opinion on the question.
- The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
- › Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant! 24 seconds ago
- › Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software 3 minutes ago
- › AUDEZE LCD-Pro 3 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 4 minutes ago
- › 64 Audio | apex | tia 4 minutes ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 5 minutes ago
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by krenky
- › Final F4100 by jwbrent
- › Audio-Technica AT-PHA100 by Army-Firedawg
- › Noble Audio Katana by EZE99
- › Meze 99 Neo by Dobrescu George
- › AKG K 550 by Mink
- › Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac Over-Ear Headphones by krenky
- › Edifier K180 by Redcarmoose
- › Mrobo C5 2.0 by crabdog
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ObjectVoice
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear