Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 259

post #3871 of 13360
From decware line, which one do you think sounds better for hd800, csp2+ or taboo? i read thag taboo is more for planar?
post #3872 of 13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraftD1 View Post

Maybe a dumb question, but where do you go on Sennheiser's website to get the frequency response graph for your pair of HD800s? I've been looking around on there and can't seem to find it.

You simply need to register your product and request it.

 

USA link: http://reg.sennheiserusa.com/

 

Global (I think?) link: http://en-de.sennheiser.com/service-support/services/register-your-product

post #3873 of 13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBull View Post

From decware line, which one do you think sounds better for hd800, csp2+ or taboo? i read thag taboo is more for planar?

 

The Taboo MK3 is superb driving both the HD800s and LCD-3s. Yes, he markets it for planars, but make no mistake. It's outstanding with the HD800s. It's natural and refined, but it does some mean bass when it's called for and it's free of grain and very transparent to the tubes you use and DAC.

 

The CSP2+ doesn't do planars, but many people use it hapily with the HD800s. I've not heard it.


Edited by negura - 7/21/13 at 3:06am
post #3874 of 13360
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd007 View Post

You simply need to register your product and request it.

USA link: http://reg.sennheiserusa.com/


Global (I think?) link: http://en-de.sennheiser.com/service-support/services/register-your-product
post #3875 of 13360

Hello,

 

I just got a chance to try out the HD-800 at a local Los Angeles head-fi meet today.

 

I was afraid the treble would be a bit irritating, as some have written in the forums (though I never personally took those claims completely seriously), and although I might have noticed it at first, listening to the headphones more and more made me believe the issue was a tad bit overblown.

 

That said, my initial overall impression of the HD-800 wasn't that great. I liked the Beyer T-1 a little bit better, at first. But as I got around to listening to all the (major) headphones at the meet, I noticed they all missed something, that I remembered some other headphone (which I eventually realized was the HD-800) had. And that was, as you guessed it, the sound-stage.

 

After realizing the super-natural sound-stage of the HD-800, it really was difficult going back to any other headphone. Including the LCD3, and the Fostex TH-900 that were there. The sound-stage of the HD-800 just felt so... normal, but I mean that in a good way. Because to me, all the other headphones sounded non-normal. I know all the cliches of headphones, of any model and manufacturer, making it seem like you're "there in the studio", or "right next to the instruments", but they were all really true with the HD-800.

 

And the sound signature was another thing that I got really accustomed to. It felt super, super flat, and it brought me back memories of a pair of studio monitors I had a few years ago. Just completely flat, which was indeed, what I was looking for in a headphone just a few months ago (during which I ended up purchasing the HD-650 at the time).

 

After realizing the flat signature, the Fostex TH-900 sounded too "friendly" to me. As if it was specifically tuned to appeal to the masses, rather than going for accurate sound reproduction.

 

So, yea... thanks to the head-fi meet, I've decided on the HD-800 as my future headphone. It will take a while, but maybe at some point, I'll be able to write in this thread again as a new owner!


Edited by fuzzybaffy - 7/21/13 at 4:21am
post #3876 of 13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybaffy View Post

And the sound signature was another thing that I got really accustomed to. It felt super, super flat, and it brought me back memories of a pair of studio monitors I had a few years ago. Just completely flat, which was indeed, what I was looking for in a headphone just a few months ago (during which I ended up purchasing the HD-650 at the time).

 

That's actually a perfect comparison.  The HD800 do a really good job of sounding like a great studio monitor.

post #3877 of 13360
So I'm selling my mjolnir amp later today. I think for now I'll keep the hd800 as a secondary rig with my anedio d1. there's no need to get fancy since it's still fairly capable and won't be used as much.

I never thought there would be something for me that surpasses the hd800 until recently
post #3878 of 13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by negura View Post

The Taboo MK3 is superb driving both the HD800s and LCD-3s. Yes, he markets it for planars, but make no mistake. It's outstanding with the HD800s. It's natural and refined, but it does some mean bass when it's called for and it's free of grain and very transparent to the tubes you use and DAC.

The CSP2+ doesn't do planars, but many people use it hapily with the HD800s. I've not heard it.

With that kind of power will there be hiss or hum with, say, low impedance, high sensitivity ad2000? Or even hd800?
How about stepped attenuator? Do you hear any clicks?
post #3879 of 13360
No. This is one of the quietest tube amps. No hiss or hums. The stepped attenuator is quiet but it's probably early to tell. It is smoother than the one on the Soloist and quieter to begin with.
Edited by negura - 7/21/13 at 8:33am
post #3880 of 13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBull View Post

If i set lowest gain, the siund will be very flat, less bass but huge detail. If i set higher gain, more kick on every notes (think piano, drums, human voice rise peak, etc) but less detail and definitely warmer. The more i inceease the gain, the more the same effect increases.

I dont say higher gain increases power, but it change the amp and phone behaviour (hence signature) with slightly higher voltage sent to the phone. I usually set to medium as the low gain is too boring and the highest gain sacrifices too much detail.

Thanks for your corroboration. I completely agree with you. Personally I enjoy the Lehmann BCL on 10dB with the HD800, it has much wider soundstage and detail. However with 20dB the music sounds so much fuller and as you said it adds that extra kick. I am no amp designer so would not know how changing the gain can change the sound signature on Lehmann, but it is definitely changing. Currently I am enjoying the 20dB because it provides the most speaker like sound signature even though the soundstage and detail have suffered. 

post #3881 of 13360

Pretty much the same thing happened to me at the May Toronto HeadFi meet. After auditioning the HD800 on my system and comparing to others, I decided that they were for me.  My HD700 and HE500 immediately went up for sale and I had the HD800 within a month or so.

Enjoy the anticipation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybaffy View Post

 

So, yea... thanks to the head-fi meet, I've decided on the HD-800 as my future headphone. It will take a while, but maybe at some point, I'll be able to write in this thread again as a new owner!

post #3882 of 13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigy626 View Post

Thanks for your corroboration. I completely agree with you. Personally I enjoy the Lehmann BCL on 10dB with the HD800, it has much wider soundstage and detail. However with 20dB the music sounds so much fuller and as you said it adds that extra kick. I am no amp designer so would not know how changing the gain can change the sound signature on Lehmann, but it is definitely changing. Currently I am enjoying the 20dB because it provides the most speaker like sound signature even though the soundstage and detail have suffered. 

Yea, sometimes i play around with gain just for fun too. When i changes to low, i was 'whoa' so much detail and texture, much wider soundstage too, but of course it slams less and then gets boring soon after. And then high gain to get the slams, esp with electronica, but for normal listening, i set 10db for balance slams and detail.
post #3883 of 13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post


Louder sounds better in every way (don't ask me why, but the loudness war appeared because of this). .If you want to do a serious comparison , you must compare at same volume level.

 

The loudness war started because it was a way to make crappy equipment sound better to unrefined folk with unrefined taste.   Is that a sweeping generalization? You bet it is. Take it with a sweeping grain of salt. tongue.gif

post #3884 of 13360

Depends on how loud it is... If its louder than 'too quiet' happy days.. 

 

I've always been a low level listener, but I treat myself to a few extra notches every now and again if I've been good :) 

 

Problem is, the louder the volume the more your ears get accustomed to it. You then need louder to get the thrill of it being loud. And before you know it, you have tinnitus, followed by a steady slope into madness, hospitalization and then death. 

 

Best keep your volume at a sensible level kids.   

post #3885 of 13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by negura View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBull View Post

From decware line, which one do you think sounds better for hd800, csp2+ or taboo? i read thag taboo is more for planar?

The Taboo MK3 is superb driving both the HD800s and LCD-3s. Yes, he markets it for planars, but make no mistake. It's outstanding with the HD800s. It's natural and refined, but it does some mean bass when it's called for and it's free of grain and very transparent to the tubes you use and DAC.

The CSP2+ doesn't do planars, but many people use it hapily with the HD800s. I've not heard it.
The CSP2+ is fantastic with the HD800's. You could use it as your stand alone amp with a nice source and be done with it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread