Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 193

post #2881 of 18189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operakid View Post

You can train yourself to ignore the cringing, you can soften them with soft amps, you can use ultra clean components all the way through to give them the best signal possible, but that peaky behavior is going to be there to a degree, it's the nature of the headphones.  I am fully expecting that to be addressed with the next iteration of the HD design, as let's face it, it is by far the most voiced complaint against the HD800.  In fact, compared to the complaints against this, there are no other complaints!  

 

You watch: if the ringing/peakiness is addressed, there will be some who say that there is not enough detail!  In 30 years of business I know there always will be complainers.  And in 30 years of working with audiophiles I know for sure that getting rid of the peakiness will be perceived by many that detail is lower.   

But there are also some of us who just don't hear the so called '6k peak'. I hear a natural one at about 10k but it certainly doesn't ring. Its just sharp and detailed but not annoying. Grado, Beyer, Denon peaks have been annoying for me in the past but I've had no bother in this area with the HD800's. If they rolled off the treble or try to dull it, it would ruin what this headphone does. imo 

post #2882 of 18189
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIQUE View Post

Has anybody upgraded the HD800 cable and can actually state an improvment rather than just a differance in audible sound? 

 

I found the cable was shorter and more flexible after being changed out ;)

post #2883 of 18189
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

But there are also some of us who just don't hear the so called '6k peak'. I hear a natural one at about 10k but it certainly doesn't ring. Its just sharp and detailed but not annoying. Grado, Beyer, Denon peaks have been annoying for me in the past but I've had no bother in this area with the HD800's. If they rolled off the treble or try to dull it, it would ruin what this headphone does. imo 

Agreed, I found the shrillness of the Grados to be unlistenable (painful really) with certain amps and recordings, this has never happened with the HD800's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

 

I found the cable was shorter and more flexible after being changed out ;)

Heh, I also like the suppleness, lightness, and flexibility of my new cable.  I also like the color red...oh and the length is right for now, may need a  longer one and a shorter one for different uses in the future.

post #2884 of 18189
 
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyVee View Post

Have the Mullards, Amperex Orange Globe, Amperex Bugle Boys, a set of Martsu's and 2 sets of stock GE tubes.  Done for now. cool.gif  Sounds great out of the Orange Globes so I'll give it a month to break in and then start tube rolling.



Socket savers.

 

Just make sure you get the good ones from tube monger. The 5$ china made ones are horrible and made my ears bleed. 

post #2885 of 18189

Well postman delivered my hd800 today but of course i had to be somewhere else, gonna have to wait till tomorrow and go get them at the post office  

post #2886 of 18189

Quote:
Well postman delivered my hd800 today but of course i had to be somewhere else, gonna have to wait till tomorrow and go get them at the post office  

I knew this would happen to me since I dont get home until 5 pm. So I called up UPS and told them to drop it off after 5 if possible. I cant wait another day im so stoked! I will enjoy them tonight for the both of us. Now I just hope the driver doesnt hit traffic. 

post #2887 of 18189

First of all congrats are in order What im hoping is that there in one piece i took the precaution  to insure them full value just in case Like last month i sold an amp to a guy and he says to me dont bother with insurance well what i did is i insured  the amp anyways its about $10.00 its not gonna kill me and everybody will sleep good.

post #2888 of 18189
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKELAP View Post

Well postman delivered my hd800 today but of course i had to be somewhere else, gonna have to wait till tomorrow and go get them at the post office  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLed View Post

I knew this would happen to me since I dont get home until 5 pm. So I called up UPS and told them to drop it off after 5 if possible. I cant wait another day im so stoked! I will enjoy them tonight for the both of us. Now I just hope the driver doesnt hit traffic. 

I feel for you guys.... One thing for sure is, it is worth the wait! 

 

In the meantime, I'm enjoying them for both of you :D 

post #2889 of 18189

x2 - it's definitely worth the wait - you will enjoy them!! - just got mine last night

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

 

I feel for you guys.... One thing for sure is, it is worth the wait! 

 

In the meantime, I'm enjoying them for both of you :D 

post #2890 of 18189
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKELAP View Post

Well postman delivered my hd800 today but of course i had to be somewhere else, gonna have to wait till tomorrow and go get them at the post office  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLed View Post

I knew this would happen to me since I dont get home until 5 pm. So I called up UPS and told them to drop it off after 5 if possible. I cant wait another day im so stoked! I will enjoy them tonight for the both of us. Now I just hope the driver doesnt hit traffic. 

I feel for you guys.... One thing for sure is, it is worth the wait! 

 

In the meantime, I'm enjoying them for both of you :D 

 

Worst news possible. So the UPS guy did come but at 2:00 and the note flew off my door into the bushes. So I'm sitting here at home waiting for the HD800's to arrive and then I find out after the pick up time that the note is in the bushes. I call up UPS and they say i can pick it up on Tuesday. First world troubles. Ugh. Enjoy them for me guys, looks like I wont be joining the club for a couple more days. 

post #2891 of 18189

Sooo, I've been hunting around for a Good Amp to match with these headphones, with enough time either my head or the foam has settled to the point were I'm not getting headache's anymore (yay) now origionally I was quite keen on the BCL, but since then I keep on thinking that, since I listen to mostly electronic audio from a variety of devices, mostly a laptop that I should actually look at sorting the DAC side of things, so then I was looking at the BCL which has DAC built in, but then I read that it's terrible!

 

my problem is that I really don't want to spend more than $1k for the amp & DAC, so low and behold I come across a few sites making noise about the fireflies which seem to fit the bill....

 

 

My question to you guys, are any of you guys running the WA7 Fireflies with the HD800's? what do you think, especially with regards to electronic music ?

post #2892 of 18189
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR22 View Post

 

My question to you guys, are any of you guys running the WA7 Fireflies with the HD800's? what do you think, especially with regards to electronic music ?

 

 

i believe Frank I has reviewed the WA7 and he said it was really good with HD 800s.

post #2893 of 18189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

 

 

i believe Frank I has reviewed the WA7 and he said it was really good with HD 800s.

Would you have a link to said Review? I checked for a Frank username and could not find much with my poor search skills

post #2894 of 18189
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR22 View Post

Would you have a link to said Review? I checked for a Frank username and could not find much with my poor search skills

 

http://dagogo.com/woo-audio-wa7-fireflies-dac-headphone-amplifier-review

post #2895 of 18189

In that range I'd probably go for a Schiit stack mostly because the BiFrost is hard to beat in that range.  Or maybe an Audio-GD dac/amp combo unit.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread