Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 20

post #286 of 12449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Dorner View Post
I'm looking for dynamic drivers that can be used in unbalanced mode to listen to live and pre-recorded music to spot recording problems.

From what I've understood , the hd800 are not very used by "audio engineers", and it's not just a matter of cost.

The hd600/hd650 are more popular for music production, although they tend to to be forgiving on flaws.

I remind someone using the hd600 to remove noise hiss, and then after using speakers, realizing that the noise was still there. My srh940 does the opposite, it makes noise related flaws more obvious .

 

A the tombraiderforums, there's a "remastered" version of the tomb raider soundtrack, and I  know the hd800 was used to do the remastering .

 

EDIT: "professionals" discussing what could be the best headphone (for monitoring/mixing/mastering/producing electronic music)

 

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=242636&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=hd800&start=0

 

I guess I could find similar thread at gearslutz. I know steve hoffman like the hd600.


Edited by extrabigmehdi - 2/25/13 at 7:59am
post #287 of 12449

I thought the HD800s were ugly too-until I bought them. IMO, pics can't do them justice as far as their build quality and totl materials used. Much, much better and luxurious almost in person. I also couldn't stand them til I heard them from my ZDSE. tongue_smile.gif

 

-Daniel

post #288 of 12449
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post

I thought the HD800s were ugly too-until I bought them. IMO, pics can't do them justice as far as their build quality and totl materials used.

 

-Daniel

 

Agreed 1000%... LCD-2 actually look and feel so small next to them.

post #289 of 12449

I just purchased the AKG K 702 from HeadRoom. They should be delivered this Wednesday or Friday at the latest. My understanding is that the K 702 competes with the HD-800 except in terms of resolution and sound stage dimensions. I still don't know if I'll get the HD-800s, but I'll put it off until Christmas.

post #290 of 12449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Dorner View Post

I just purchased the AKG K 702 from HeadRoom. They should be delivered this Wednesday or Friday at the latest. My understanding is that the K 702 competes with the HD-800 except in terms of resolution and sound stage dimensions. I still don't know if I'll get the HD-800s, but I'll put it off until Christmas.

 

I don't think it really competes, but it is a pretty nice headphone regardless with a similarly bright tuning. I would call it a good value. You probably have to step up to electrostatics and high-end orthos (HE-6) before you can consider competing from a performance perspective. I have never heard another dynamic do even close to what the HD800 can do.

post #291 of 12449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Dorner View Post

My understanding is that the K 702 competes with the HD-800 except in terms of resolution and sound stage dimensions.

 

The AKG competed with the HD600/650, it does not play in the same waters as the HD800.  Headphones that do are the HE-6, LCD-3 and SR-007/009.

post #292 of 12449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Dorner View Post

I just purchased the AKG K 702 from HeadRoom. They should be delivered this Wednesday or Friday at the latest. My understanding is that the K 702 competes with the HD-800 except in terms of resolution and sound stage dimensions. I still don't know if I'll get the HD-800s, but I'll put it off until Christmas.

 

Did you get the AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition?

post #293 of 12449

I got the regular AKG K 702.

post #294 of 12449
Currently burning in my brand new pair with some Tool biggrin.gif. I've waited a long time to join the club. Loving them so far!
post #295 of 12449

I just don't get the bright comments. The HD800's are music to my ears. Friggin love them. Love the LCD-2 as well, very different animal. think I need to own both. Have only listened to them with the BHA-1.

 

Have also tried PS1000's and HE-500, both obviously great headphones but no match for the other two.

 

Have Bryston modifying a pair of HD800's so I can try them with the BHA's balanced output. Looking forward to that.

post #296 of 12449
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDewey View Post

Currently burning in my brand new pair with some Tool biggrin.gif. I've waited a long time to join the club. Loving them so far!

 

Congrats. Tool + HD800 = Eargasm

post #297 of 12449

Everyone has different hearing...

 

I could say "I just don't get why anyone would get AKG K702 because it sounds like trash," but then everyone hears differently, and many Head-Fiers would start hating on me as well, and I might have to go cry to my mommie because some online jerks are being meanies.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4s4s4 View Post

I just don't get the bright comments.


Edited by Girls Generation - 2/25/13 at 9:41pm
post #298 of 12449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls Generation View Post

Everyone has different hearing...

 

I could say "I just don't get why anyone would get AKG K702 because it sounds like trash," but then everyone hears differently, and many Head-Fiers would start hating on me as well, and I might have to go cry to my mommie because some online jerks are being meanies.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4s4s4 View Post

I just don't get the bright comments.

I love when people use this language online. Seriously, it always makes me laugh:) Thanks.

post #299 of 12449

I received my new HD800's about 2 weeks ago (S/N: 19922) fully expecting to send them back for a refund because my main music genre's are rock and metal. However they are going nowhere.

 

I have no idea if the theory of a newer improved HD800's are true or not but what I am hearing is pretty special.

 

Bass is superb, very deep, fast, tight and with plenty of impact. It might not go quite as deep or be as full bodied as the LCD2.2's bass but does not have the sense of congestion that the LCD's can have in the bass department. PRaT is excelent and very 'foot tapping'.

 

Mid-range is quite forward with great clarity and vocals are quite close and intimate, which I love, and instruments can also have great presence and are very vivid. Vocal also have stunning clarity and realism. The mid-range is not thin or unnatural in any way.

 

The hf's seem very extended but also clean and lively, adding a lot of excitement to recordings. Lead guitar solo's are stunning. Soaring with clarity, precision and speed.

 

A lot has been said of the HD800's sound staging, much to the detriment of rock/metal/pop music, however I find the sound stage to be just right. Recordings are not subjected to artificial sound stage enlargement just very accurate and real positioning and layering.

 

The only downside I have at the moment is that sibilance can be an issue on recordings that I know are prone to it, maybe more burn in and a cable upgrade in the future will improve that but it's not a major issue.

 

I would like to state that at the moment the HD800's are being used single ended out of my balanced amp which is not ideal. I will upgrade to a better, never been a fan of silver plated copper, balanced cable in the near future when I expect the HD800's to take another lead forward.

 

So in short I find the HD800 far better than expected and many of the reviews are totally of the mark. The HD800's are not just an exceptional headphone but also an exceptional rock/metal phone, assuming the source/amp are up to the job. biggrin.gif

post #300 of 12449
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeljames View Post

I received my new HD800's about 2 weeks ago (S/N: 19922) fully expecting to send them back for a refund because my main music genre's are rock and metal. However they are going nowhere.

 

I have no idea if the theory of a newer improved HD800's are true or not but what I am hearing is pretty special.

 

Bass is superb, very deep, fast, tight and with plenty of impact. It might not go quite as deep or be as full bodied as the LCD2.2's bass but does not have the sense of congestion that the LCD's can have in the bass department. PRaT is excelent and very 'foot tapping'.

 

Mid-range is quite forward with great clarity and vocals are quite close and intimate, which I love, and instruments can also have great presence and are very vivid. Vocal also have stunning clarity and realism. The mid-range is not thin or unnatural in any way.

 

The hf's seem very extended but also clean and lively, adding a lot of excitement to recordings. Lead guitar solo's are stunning. Soaring with clarity, precision and speed.

 

A lot has been said of the HD800's sound staging, much to the detriment of rock/metal/pop music, however I find the sound stage to be just right. Recordings are not subjected to artificial sound stage enlargement just very accurate and real positioning and layering.

 

The only downside I have at the moment is that sibilance can be an issue on recordings that I know are prone to it, maybe more burn in and a cable upgrade in the future will improve that but it's not a major issue.

 

I would like to state that at the moment the HD800's are being used single ended out of my balanced amp which is not ideal. I will upgrade to a better, never been a fan of silver plated copper, balanced cable in the near future when I expect the HD800's to take another lead forward.

 

So in short I find the HD800 far better than expected and many of the reviews are totally of the mark. The HD800's are not just an exceptional headphone but also an exceptional rock/metal phone, assuming the source/amp are up to the job. biggrin.gif

 

 

 

I'm assuming your using the Master 6?  If this is the case being as both the Master 6 and the HD800 are very revealing - if the sibilance is in the recording the amp and headphones are doing their job.  Both will give you whats on the recording.  Maybe try using a pure copper cable.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread