Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 180

post #2686 of 14699

Well, my HD700 are sold and I just ordered a pair of HD800.  Long story but it may take a few weeks.  Looking forward to it!

post #2687 of 14699
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyVee View Post

Well, my HD700 are sold and I just ordered a pair of HD800.  Long story but it may take a few weeks.  Looking forward to it!

 

Did you go colorware?


Edited by preproman - 5/14/13 at 2:22pm
post #2688 of 14699
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyVee View Post

Well, my HD700 are sold and I just ordered a pair of HD800.  Long story but it may take a few weeks.  Looking forward to it!

 

beerchug.gif

post #2689 of 14699

No.. just using my inside retail connections. Wish I could do the Colorware black/cranberry but cross border orders are a PIA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

Did you go colorwear?

post #2690 of 14699
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyVee View Post

Well, my HD700 are sold and I just ordered a pair of HD800.  Long story but it may take a few weeks.  Looking forward to it!

It is worth the wait MV!

post #2691 of 14699
The Leviathan is no longer a 7K amp...prob much less at this juncture. I shouldn't say more until it materializes further....
-Daniel
post #2692 of 14699
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post

The Leviathan is no longer a 7K amp...prob much less at this juncture. I shouldn't say more until it materializes further....
-Daniel

Oh right...the Moth to the flame is a different amp now... rolleyes.gif

Edit: Levi will still be quite expensive though.
Edited by MorbidToaster - 5/14/13 at 9:42pm
post #2693 of 14699
Aren't you in on it now, MT?

-Daniel
post #2694 of 14699
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post

Aren't you in on it now, MT?

-Daniel

Maybe but there seems like there hasn't been an update in awhile.
post #2695 of 14699

Guys I think I am going to go wither either the WA2 Or WA6-SE for my HD800 setup. DAC wise I only need USB, I have no use for optical or coax since I am using a computer setup and I won't be connecting a CD transport or anything. Should I just go with something like an ODAC? Any recommendations?

post #2696 of 14699
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICWUTUDIDTHAR View Post

Guys I think I am going to go wither either the WA2 Or WA6-SE for my HD800 setup. DAC wise I only need USB, I have no use for optical or coax since I am using a computer setup and I won't be connecting a CD transport or anything. Should I just go with something like an ODAC? Any recommendations?

If you are set on going for usb only then try and make sure you get a dac with a asynchronous usb input. Normal usb inputs can give you jitter and are mostly limited to 16bit 44hz. Don't want to go down the bit war arguments.. but newer dacs have asynchronous usb implementation for a reason. It will clock the data received so that you get a bit perfect signal before it reaches the dac stage. 

 

Also, there are plenty of usb to spdif converters on the market at the moment and I would recommend using one of those if you are using computer as source then you can feed the dac through the coaxial input (this is generally considered the best input). This will also give you the flexibility of using any dac. 

 

Also, if you are on a budget then yes an odac will do you for now. But I would highly recommend upgrading asap as the HD800's will show it for what it is. A budget dac. Your source is as important as your amp and so try and find something equal to your Woo. Maybe a Bitfrost. 

 

I can highly recommend the Vdac mkII as a quality alternative and it plays well with the HD800's. It has asynchronous usb and can easily compete with any mid price dac that I have heard.

 

Good luck :) 

post #2697 of 14699

Can anyone comment on how the Bifrost w/ the "Uber Analog" upgrade sounds with the HD800?  I'd plan on using the Bifrost's optical input so I'm not as concerned with the "USB Gen 2" upgrade (though impressions there are certainly welcome).

post #2698 of 14699

woo audio 2 !!!!

post #2699 of 14699
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post

Can anyone comment on how the Bifrost w/ the "Uber Analog" upgrade sounds with the HD800?  I'd plan on using the Bifrost's optical input so I'm not as concerned with the "USB Gen 2" upgrade (though impressions there are certainly welcome).

 

I can't comment on the Uber, safe to assume it's better than stock, but the real gem of the Gung is the digital input section.  Give you a hint, PWD2 Digital Lens, for several thousands less ;)

post #2700 of 14699
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

I can't comment on the Uber, safe to assume it's better than stock, but the real gem of the Gung is the digital input section.  Give you a hint, PWD2 Digital Lens, for several thousands less ;)

 

Very intriguing.. I've typically (almost always) had better results with optical and coax connections on DACs vs USB.. even on a nice until like the V800.  So an improved USB section on the Bifrost would certainly be something I'd invest in if its worth it.  I planned on using the Meridian Explorer as a USB-to-SPDIF converter (to feed the Bifrost), but if the USB on the Bifrost delivers, it's one less thing to have to hook up.

 

Thanks.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread