Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 176

post #2626 of 15276
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsh View Post


This is my frequency response chart from sennheiser for my hd800's,how does this compare to other charts? I've read that everyone's charts are different.

 

There's a thread with a bunch of different frequency charts. http://www.head-fi.org/t/433059/sennheiser-hd800-certificate-for-frequency-response-arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

You've told me before and nice hyperbole going on there you must be packing one unique b22 for it stop the Phonitor. At least I know myself I'm not the only one that thinks the b22 is no longer the best sounding combo with the HD800's at all.

 

I'm going to have to try the Phonitor one day. I thought the Beta was pretty good with the HD800

post #2627 of 15276
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post 

You've told me before and nice hyperbole going on there you must be packing one unique b22 for it stop the Phonitor. At least I know myself I'm not the only one that thinks the b22 is no longer the best sounding combo with the HD800's at all.

Never said it was the best sounding with the HD800 now did I?.  

 

I like the GS-X mkII with the HD800s myself.  

 

FYI:  All B22s has a chance to be unique. They start out as a blank PCB / circuit board, from there the sky's the limed  - maybe you didn't know that.  

 

Ah.. Good job justifying your finding by what others think - way to go on that one.blink.gif

post #2628 of 15276
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Never said it was the best sounding with the HD800 now did I?.  

 

I like the GS-X mkII with the HD800s myself.  

 

FYI:  All B22s has a chance to be unique. They start out as a blank PCB / circuit board, from there the sky's the limed  - maybe you didn't know that.  

 

Then why did you say that your b22 stomps the Phonitor in response to my post where I said to the other user the "assuming the Auditor has the same guts as the Phonitor, it is easily one of the best combos right there for the HD800". Not to mention we are discussing about amp recommendations for the HD800's, not amp's for x, y and z headphones - HD800's. Did you feel satisfied that you had to object your opinion with a overused hyperbole term such as "stomps" in your post? Seriously.

 

All b22's have a BOM list that it follows and you can't just drop in any fancy part for every component to make it sound night and day different to other b22's, all the differences are miniscule and subtle. Parts that can be changed on the PCB to the sky's limit substituting the resistors for better ones, cap's for boutique ones which in most cases in the design of the b22 have little or no sound differences at all and using WIMA mkp caps rather than stock Vishay or any other ones and finally a better pot or using the digital attenuator Ti Kan designed himself. These are about the only things you can change for better ones, even if you changed everything on the PCB for the best out there, the sound between the b22's are not great at all, I know this because I have build 3 b22's to play around, compared 4 - 5 other b22 builds by other people and the only times I found great sound differences was the case of a different source used. 

 

So you can't exactly say the sky's the limit with populating the PCB only. Yeah the sky's the limit when you start counting in things such as the brand of the tranny used, whether or not you want use the dc offset relay system Ti made, using expensive premium pots, enclosure, wiring etc. 

 

@rawr. The b22 is a good amp, but in my opinion not that good with the HD800. It is sometimes too uncalled for for being bright, attenuating that treble peak of the HD800's especially for vocal and classic pieces. It took me less than 5 minutes from auditioning the Phonitor at Jabens to notice the depth and supreme neutrality the Phonitor exhibited that my b22 did not. It was balanced hooked up to some Denon transport playing some demo sample cd's that come with McIntosh amp's. I listen to one of the classical tracks I was familiar with and I noticed the HD800 was very neutral sounding, no brightness in the treble and there was this depth to the piece being played - all this in under 5 minutes of listen time.

 

The b22 is very good for dark/warm headphones.

post #2629 of 15276

Electrically the B22 is best suited to resistive low impedance cans, ie orthos.  It doesn't like seeing the HD800 as a load and consequently doesn't sound as good as non MOSFET output SS amps.  Personally feel the B22 is bested by a handful of lesser SS amps when talking high impedance high inductance cans.

post #2630 of 15276
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

Then why did you say that your b22 stomps the Phonitor in response to my post where I said to the other user the "assuming the Auditor has the same guts as the Phonitor, it is easily one of the best combos right there for the HD800". Not to mention we are discussing about amp recommendations for the HD800's,

 

Because, while I prefer the GS-X mkII with my HD800s - I also prefer the B22 over the Phonitor with the HD800s - That's why,,

 

Again, I never said anything about night and day differences.  However, every small and subtle difference that you can achieve will add up to an overall greater improvement.  

 

Again our experiences and hearing are not the same at all.  I find the B22 to be colored and tilted to being on the warm side of neutral and not being that great with dark/warm headphones and being better sounding with bright headphones. 

 

I feel as much satisfied using such words as you do when you rely on others findings to justify yours.


Edited by preproman - 5/13/13 at 3:13pm
post #2631 of 15276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

Electrically the B22 is best suited to resistive low impedance cans, ie orthos.  It doesn't like seeing the HD800 as a load and consequently doesn't sound as good as non MOSFET output SS amps.  Personally feel the B22 is bested by a handful of lesser SS amps when talking high impedance high inductance cans.

 

Funny how the B22 is the best amp for my T1s.  Even better that the GS-X mkII..

post #2632 of 15276
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

Because, while I prefer the GS-X mkII with my HD800s - I also prefer the B22 over the Phonitor with the HD800s - That's why,,

 

Again, I never said anything about night and day differences.  However, every small and subtle difference that you can achieve will add up to an overall greater improvement.  

 

Again our experiences and hearing are not the same at all.  I find the B22 to be colored and tilted to being on the warm side of neutral and not being that great with dark/warm headphones and being better sounding with bright headphones. 

 

I feel as much satisfied using such words as you do when you rely on others findings to justify yours.

Oh that's right because you said "your b22 stomps the Phonitor". rolleyes.gif It must be some small differences there for use of such a hyperbole.

 

Ok then how do I rely on other peoples findings to justify mine? Please explain this to me. What I write is based on things I've heard, touched and owned. I get straight to the point, if I think a FOTM headphone or amp is crap I'm not afraid to say it is crap or otherwise, I state my opinion straight up fair and square to the point I'm making rather what most users here do is huddle and cuddle on a brand bandwagon too scared to say bad things about a particular amp/dac/headphone. This turns reviews into most reviews 6moon's have (which I do read now and then for the shiggles). So please don't say stuff such "oh you can't justify x product findings because you haven't heard it properly or you need to rely on other peoples to come to a conclusion yourself for said product", you obviously don't know anything about me nor my findings.

 

The moment you came in with that post "ah, my b22 stomps the Phonitor" I knew you were trying to start a fire against me because we've had a similar argument/discussion before in the LCD2 appreciation thread, well the fire is lit and it ain't going to go out between you and me, oh maybe when you post something about the b22, I should barge in and say "the Phonitor stomps the b22". rolleyes.gif

post #2633 of 15276

popcorn.gif

post #2634 of 15276

LMAOL3000.gifThe HD800 really rocks and it is very good on the new HDVD800

post #2635 of 15276

Phonitor + HD800 = amazing.

post #2636 of 15276

Well, well, well... my Picard 0032200-08 (high class workmanship from Germany) stomps all of your amps... very very very easily!

 

biggrin.gif

post #2637 of 15276
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeskd View Post

Phonitor + HD800 = amazing.

It is isn't it. Certainly not the best out there obviously, but the synergy between the two is really good. A bigger advantage with the Phonitor of having possibly the best built-in crossfeed system if needed. Project86 did a review on the Auditor which retails for $999 but sells for average $650-750 on ebay and other outlets and he did mention the guts are identical minus the crossfeed + vu meters of the Phonitor, if actually true than for the price the Auditor + HD800 is a very very very good start. And I don't usually highly praise products here. 

post #2638 of 15276
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

It's not just a source you will need for the HD800's, a new amp and source would be needed to get the HD800's to sound good. The Crack is just ok with the HD800's but awesome with the HD650. That said two headphones, two different sound signatures, don't listen to the credits that come from this thread for the HD800's, listen to them yourself and decide which is best that you like.

 

Thanks for the input. I have auditioned them before, but unfortunately not with my current setup and I don't have a line on a pair anymore to test out in my rig :(

 

I've heard decent experiences about the HD800 hooked up to the Crack and that the next step up as far as tube amps go would be a Decware, which is unfortunately more than I'm willing to spend at the moment for an amp. I feel I'd get more for my money by putting it towards a different headphone instead.

 

I like the HD650 for its full and romantic sound, but I realized that every upgrade I was considering for it was to try to get it closer to the HD800 sound I liked when I heard it. I guess I just wanted a change of pace. Instead of dropping $300 on a cable, an extra $500+ on a DAC to try to get closer to the HD800 sound I liked, it makes more sense for the $800+ to just go towards getting the darn headphones. Plus, I'll still have the HD650 to go back to when I want that romantic sound again.

post #2639 of 15276

Get the HD800's and slowly upgrade from there. Keep the HD650 as a complementary setup. Both are different sounding and both have its advantages and disadvantages but the HD800's win all out hands down if run through a good amp and source setup. Or maybe you can try the HD800's on your Crack and see if you like it, you never know, my ears are not yours.

post #2640 of 15276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordwestlicht View Post

Well, well, well... my Picard 0032200-08 (high class workmanship from Germany) stomps all of your amps... very very very easily!

 

biggrin.gif

 

Just keep it away from my amps, and we're cool.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread