or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 163

post #2431 of 19981

100 hours, 80dB

 

Ya pulled it right out of the air ;)  It is what I do, but have no real data to back it up as 'the way'.

post #2432 of 19981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

100 hours, 80dB

 

Ya pulled it right out of the air ;)  It is what I do, but have no real data to back it up as 'the way'.

Heh, I just listen to them for days on end ignoring all other things in life until I have to go out to get food...well not really, but I just listen to them and break them in as I do.  no special process.

post #2433 of 19981

Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

100 hours, 80dB

 

Ya pulled it right out of the air ;)  It is what I do, but have no real data to back it up as 'the way'.

Hmm... this is gonna expose my newbishness but how do I know if I'm doing 80db just using the knob on my amp/dac (NFB11.32)? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearFNF View Post

Heh, I just listen to them for days on end ignoring all other things in life until I have to go out to get food...well not really, but I just listen to them and break them in as I do.  no special process.

That's what I do in general, but for the hifiman he-500s I observed - may be more psychological than real - that there seemed to be a marked, although slight, improvement in sound after a certain point of listening. Just wondering how distinctive this is for the HD 800s.

 

Anyway, thanks.

post #2434 of 19981

dB metre.  Can get one cheap at eletronics store or even a smart phone app.  If nothing else it's important for knowing where on the dial things get loud enough to damage hearing.

post #2435 of 19981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

dB metre.  Can get one cheap at eletronics store or even a smart phone app.  If nothing else it's important for knowing where on the dial things get loud enough to damage hearing.

Hey Solude,

 

Ok, time for me to look this up.

 

Thanks!

post #2436 of 19981

Best $30 I ever spent.

post #2437 of 19981
I was wondering of anyone could help me by compairing one or more of these woo audio amps performances with the hd800. The amps im looking at are the :
WA7
WA6
WA3
WA2
Thanks
post #2438 of 19981

WA6-SE or WA2 are both great with HD 800. both require tube rolling to really get the most out of them.

post #2439 of 19981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post

I was wondering of anyone could help me by compairing one or more of these woo audio amps performances with the hd800. The amps im looking at are the :
WA7
WA6
WA3
WA2
Thanks

Haven't heard the WA2 but have heard the upper WA22. My list in order of preference although I don't think highly of Woo amp's, they pretty much sound the same one way or another.

 

1. WA5 (the sound is nowhere near worth the price imo, better options out there that are well regarded)

2. WA22 = WA6SE regardless of balance operation or not it is roughly the same sounding.

3. WA6 = WA3 (modded)

4. WA3

5. WA7 

post #2440 of 19981
I'm not looking at either wa22 or wa5, both too expensive. What's would be better a wa3 or wa6 with all tubes upgrades vs stock wa2 vs stock wa7
post #2441 of 19981

stock WA6-SE or stock WA2.

post #2442 of 19981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post

I'm not looking at either wa22 or wa5, both too expensive. What's would be better a wa3 or wa6 with all tubes upgrades vs stock wa2 vs stock wa7

I would drop the wa3 off your list. It simply isn't detailed or dynamic enough to show off what the hd800's have to offer. In that price range, a bottlehead crack with speedball is a far better match for the hd800's if you either own a soldering iron or buy used.

Moving on up the woo lineup, the wa2 is a more refined, higher resolution, higher power version of the wa3, while the wa6/wa22 are transformer coupled designs that sound quite a bit more dynamic and punchy than the otl woo amps (closer to ss per jack woo).
post #2443 of 19981

Which is better w/ bass?

post #2444 of 19981

which would warm the hd800 up to most and give the best bass impact?

post #2445 of 19981

for the price of Wa22 you can buy a Zana Deux SE which performs better with than the woo audio...so why bother?

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread