or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 121

post #1801 of 19532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post


+1 

totally agree

i feel the same way with the HD 800 and the right tubes on the WA6-SE, when its not well driven, its liquidity becomes muddy, smearing details while having a hotness in the treble. the soundstage may seem artificial and forced, and its presentation lifeless in nature. 

with the right tubes, i agree,  the headphones just disappear, the music is all around you, as if it was just coming out of thin air, and its liquidity is something that i begin to appreciate more and more, the music just blends so perfectly together, its something quite unique to the HD 800, i haven't heard another headphone that does it so perfectly. its not super detailed or fast like a T1, or warm and full like an Audeze, its just the liquid decay which adds an extra texture to the music.

+1 to your plus 1

Ever since I upgraded to the Cary SLI 80 and retubed and biased it properly, even with the Lyr standing in on DAC duty I simply can't stop listening or daydreaming about listening when I get home. Putting on the HD800s, turning on a mild crossfeed and firing up some Hesperion XXI has been my go to stress relief after work. All the technology just evaporates and if I close my eyes I'm in an audience hearing troubadours play in a French castle 700 years ago.
post #1802 of 19532
Quote:
Originally Posted by toschek View Post

Quote:
+1 to your plus 1

Ever since I upgraded to the Cary SLI 80 and retubed and biased it properly, even with the Lyr standing in on DAC duty I simply can't stop listening or daydreaming about listening when I get home. Putting on the HD800s, turning on a mild crossfeed and firing up some Hesperion XXI has been my go to stress relief after work. All the technology just evaporates and if I close my eyes I'm in an audience hearing troubadours play in a French castle 700 years ago.

Sweet visual!

post #1803 of 19532

Do the HD800 pads lose some cushioning after time? I've been using mine a great deal and they seem a little flatter and less cushioned on my temples, but I'm not sure if I'm imagining things. 

 

Did anyone ever replace the pads with new ones?

 

(They get so much head time because they sound so awesome to me, so awesome I think I like them more than speakers.)

post #1804 of 19532
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericfarrell85 View Post

This headphone, when properly amped, is the only headphone that allows me to put aside my impression that Stax simply trounces every other headphone when it comes to transparency. The HD800 really just disappears when driven by a Zana Deux > Beta 22. What makes it stunning is not so much the detail that it extracts, but the way it's liquid in its frequency transitions. Unlike a properly driven HE6 and T1, the HD800 does not jump out at you with unrelenting clarity, but weaves it into a natural, effortless soundscape. Funny how I once felt a little cold about this headphone...

Very well written and that's exactly how I feel.

post #1805 of 19532
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs9200m View Post

Do the HD800 pads lose some cushioning after time? I've been using mine a great deal and they seem a little flatter and less cushioned on my temples, but I'm not sure if I'm imagining things. 

 

Did anyone ever replace the pads with new ones?

 

(They get so much head time because they sound so awesome to me, so awesome I think I like them more than speakers.)

 

I bought mine used and yes, I replaced the earpads (not too difficult but far from the simplest replacement I've done).  It made a small but noticeable improvement to the comfort.

post #1806 of 19532

Thanks for the quick answer Jazzerdave. Yeah, I'm all thumbs and wondering if it's really difficult. There's a youtube vid about removing them but not about putting them on.

Best to you.

post #1807 of 19532

I took my HD 800's to work today to show it to some fellow co-workers (with my MacBook Pro & Apple Lossless files via my Nuforce DAC-100), everyone who heard it was quite impressed, but the reactions were interesting. Hopefully I've helped spread the gospel of good quality sound somewhat. I noticed that people in general listened to it way too loud. I had to explain that these were not like "normal" headphones, in that people around you can hear the music if you turn it up to a listenable volume. The sound from headphones of this quality is so crisp that laypeople (and audiophiles) are tempted to turn the volume way up, past the point of damaging one's hearing if left on (full throttle) for bit. The main response I got from the HD 800's was "The music sounds very clear."


Edited by jackskelly - 4/9/13 at 5:57pm
post #1808 of 19532
One of my favorite aspects of the HD 800 is that I hear all of their amazing qualities at lower volume levels. I couldn't say the same for a lot of cans, most especially the T1s.

-Daniel
post #1809 of 19532
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs9200m View Post

Thanks for the quick answer Jazzerdave. Yeah, I'm all thumbs and wondering if it's really difficult. There's a youtube vid about removing them but not about putting them on.

Best to you.

 

Taking them off is much harder than putting them on at least until you realize how it works. I thought I broke something when I took off the pads since I took off the padding and not the plastic ring thing the pads go over. If I remember correctly once you take off the pads take the new one and put it over where it would go and press until there's a loud click. It does that a few times as you go around the pads.

post #1810 of 19532

i think the menu comes with the headphones has some instruction on taking off/on the ear pad.  hand band too.

post #1811 of 19532
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

 

Taking them off is much harder than putting them on at least until you realize how it works. I thought I broke something when I took off the pads since I took off the padding and not the plastic ring thing the pads go over. If I remember correctly once you take off the pads take the new one and put it over where it would go and press until there's a loud click. It does that a few times as you go around the pads.

OK, great. Thanks again for those details. Best to you.

post #1812 of 19532
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post

One of my favorite aspects of the HD 800 is that I hear all of their amazing qualities at lower volume levels. I couldn't say the same for a lot of cans, most especially the T1s.

-Daniel

Totally agree. You can still feel the music at lower volumes.  

post #1813 of 19532

Where can I buy those pads?Ordered some from a company in England only to be charged $80.- and then to be told they are on backorder!!!!

Ok,....I got a refund since then but I do need some new ones.
 

post #1814 of 19532

Greeting Fellow Head-fi'ers!

 

I am looking for a new amp for my HD800's and have narrowed it down to about two choices with a couple of outside contenders.  Currently I'm running my Oppo BDP-105 into a Woo Audio 3 to my Senn's.

 

After much deliberation I've narrowed it down to the Woo Audio WA2 and the Decware CSP2+.

 

My criteria include the following:

1, Tube/OTL topology

2. Preamp functionality.

3. Price somewhere between $1k and $1.5 K

4. Aesthetically pleasing

 

The pros and cons of each amp:

 

Woo Audio WA2

Pros

*I like my WA3 and feel like it would be a significant upgrade to go to the WA2

*Very good looking

*Tube sound to roll off some of the upper end brittleness of the HD800's

*Good price, but the tube rolling may push this amp to the upper end of my price range

Cons

*Not as detailed as some of the upper end amps (I love detail)

*I've never heard the amp, but am familiar with the Woo house sound with the WA3

*Maybe too warm?

 

Decware CSP2+

Pros

*Very competitive price

*On paper looks very compelling

*Seems like excellent preamp functionality

Cons

*Have not heard it although Steve has a 30-day money back guarantee

*Not as good looking as the Woo

*Will the top-mounted everything but a strain on my interconnects?

 

Also, two other contenders are the Eddie Current Super 7 and the Decware Taboo.  My major problem with the Super 7 is how it looks.  Just a black box with tubes sticking out.  Not very good looking at all, in my opinion.  With the Taboo, I'm worried that since Steve has a picture of the Taboo with planar magnetics, that amp may sound too "solid-state".  It's been my experience that the LCD's and the Hifiman's sound better with SS amps, but the 800's respond better to tubes.

 

So, there you have it--my current conundrum.  I'd love to hear from anybody that has heard these amps.  I went to Canjam last year, but none of the Eddie Current or Decware offerings were available to listen to.

 

Any help you could give would be appreciated.

 

Over and out.


Edited by moses1258 - 4/10/13 at 1:21pm
post #1815 of 19532
woo audio 2 wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread