or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 103

post #1531 of 24372
Quote:
Originally Posted by wink View Post

That's just your wallet talking... Ignore it.   Ignore it, I say.

 

HEADPHONE AMPS / PRE-AMPS


GS-1 Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp

 

Click for Detailed Information

If there was one word to describe the GS-1, it would be: versatile.  Two inputs, loop out, gain switch, pre-amp functionality, and the ability to drive two phones at once.  Available with an Alps Blue volume control or optional DACT stepped attenuator.

gs1_both_front_small.jpg

black_dot.jpg

GS-X Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp

 

Click for Detailed Information

The GS-X is out top level amplifier for headphones and pre-amp use.  It will also power balanced headphones.  It's a true dual mono amplifier with dual power supplies in a separate enclosure and offers many features not found in the GS-1.

gsx_k1000_small.jpg

 

My wallet will bite me if I even try to open it right now, and my wife ... let's just say when she got through with me, John Wayne Bobbit would look like a sweepstakes winner.

post #1532 of 24372

Lol,

I just had to pick the right moment to tell the wife I just bought a new Dac.

post #1533 of 24372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls Generation View Post

Ah, the usual Head-Fi hyperbole. The Lyr isn't "no match" for V200, though I can't say for GS-X. Honestly, improvements are not as night and day as you make it out to be, thus your post is misleading and trapping people into spending more. 

 

Asgard 2 was great with HD800, but Lyr sounds a bit more musical. V200 is good but not that much better. 

 

Shrill may be due to harsh DAC, not JUST the amp. HD800 is inherently bright, so unless you have some warm wet sounding tubes and tube amps to deal with it, you're still going to get that bright treble...

 

I believe products are normally priced according to performance and capability. Production cost is a factor, but if a product cand be  produced on the cheap that performs very well, most of time it will be priced to match the arena it is meant to compete in. This is pretty much manufacturing law, doubly so for high end products... like audio.

post #1534 of 24372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls Generation View Post

I found the HD800 terrid with the O2/ODAC. Again, differences in expecations.

That you need a tube amp for the HD800 is just cliche given by people who've dismissed the HD800s after a quick listen on SS.

 

IMHO, I believe the HD800 simply reveals "crap". That's actually its job.

post #1535 of 24372

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls Generation View Post

I found the HD800 terrid with the O2/ODAC. Again, differences in expecations.

That you need a tube amp for the HD800 is just cliche given by people who've dismissed the HD800s after a quick listen on SS.

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightFlight View Post

 

IMHO, I believe the HD800 simply reveals "crap". That's actually its job.

 

And tubes can be crappy and shrieky too.

post #1536 of 24372

Listening to Bob Dylan 1995 MTV unplugged Album and it sounds amazing through my setup. Man these headphones bring so much joy back into music. I am totally addicted to music after getting the HD800. Buying CD's left and right bought like 30 in the past month. I wish the price of hi-res would not be so high otherwise I would be buying most of my music in that format. Another thing I love about the HD800 is the quality of the cable and the length. 

post #1537 of 24372
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigy626 View Post

Listening to Bob Dylan 1995 MTV unplugged Album and it sounds amazing through my setup. Man these headphones bring so much joy back into music. I am totally addicted to music after getting the HD800. Buying CD's left and right bought like 30 in the past month. I wish the price of hi-res would not be so high otherwise I would be buying most of my music in that format. Another thing I love about the HD800 is the quality of the cable and the length. 

hey can you listen to the Eric Clapton and Eagles MTV unplugged on your HD800 for me????
I am strongly considering getting them,

HD800 I mean.....

and these are two of my most listened albums......

post #1538 of 24372
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightFlight View Post

 

, but if a product cand be  produced on the cheap that performs very well, most of time it will be priced to match the arena it is meant to compete in.

What are you doing of the "snob effect " ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snob_effect

 

I'm sure that if a cheap source was doing well, you would just blindly reject it, thanks to the "snob effect".

Ear/ subjectivity are not reliable "tools", once you understand that, you understand how it's easy to fool "audiophile"

with overpriced  gears.

post #1539 of 24372
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post

What are you doing of the "snob effect " ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snob_effect

 

I'm sure that if a cheap source was doing well, you would just blindly reject it, thanks to the "snob effect".

Ear/ subjectivity are not reliable "tools", once you understand that, you understand how it's easy to fool "audiophile"

with overpriced  gears.

 

I always knew Grey Poupon tasted like crap.

post #1540 of 24372
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post

What are you doing of the "snob effect " ?

 

 

Economics but same difference ;)

post #1541 of 24372
Quote:

Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

 

Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms"

Steely Dan "Gaucho"

Donald Fagen "Morph the Cat"

 

 

At least I'm having fun... smile.gif

 

Caravan Palace "Panic".  Fun fun fun.

post #1542 of 24372
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post

What are you doing of the "snob effect " ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snob_effect

 

I'm sure that if a cheap source was doing well, you would just blindly reject it, thanks to the "snob effect".

Ear/ subjectivity are not reliable "tools", once you understand that, you understand how it's easy to fool "audiophile"

with overpriced  gears.

 

Its AudioPhool. Didn't ya know?

post #1543 of 24372
Quote:
Originally Posted by toschek View Post

 

My wallet will bite me if I even try to open it right now, and my wife ... let's just say when she got through with me, John Wayne Bobbit would look like a sweepstakes winner.


I took my rig to work for a week and near the end of it my wife said "Hey, where's your amp thingy?" She has her money. I have mine. So long as we keep the bills paid and spend the requisite amount on each other, we try not to discuss it. I think she will freak ... ... when ... ... I reveal the price.

post #1544 of 24372

Must say,

 

I'm nearly a week in with my HD800's and I've have not yet experienced any fatigue or what I would call 'brightness'. Mine just aren't bright headphones... 

I've owned bright headphones before. SR225, RS1, DT880, K702, D2000, All of these are what I would class as bright. Where the stigma has come from with these is lost on me. Detailed yes, extended (in relative terms) yes, but not harsh or fatiguing at all. And I'm using SS with mid-fi dacs. 

 

If I could use a few adjectives to describe the sound; Warm, smooth, detailed, expansive, refined, airy, deep.

 

Words I would not use to describe these but have read before; Clinical, harsh, thin, bright.

 

Just saying..

post #1545 of 24372
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4s4s4 View Post

Hugh's Hope album is awesome. A must have in everyones collection.

 

Hey is there an AudioPhool list of reference albums in the music section? I started a thread but it's not going anywhere.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread