or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 100

post #1486 of 25155
Way too much bass, not bad otherwise.
post #1487 of 25155
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

BTW, I got to try my HD800 powered by a WA3 with Chatham 2399 power tube this morning. I admit it sounded very nice - very similar in mids and treble detail to my DAC1 only "wetter" if that makes sense. My Benchmark just sounded a little "dry" in comparison. Of course, the bass was a little bloated on the Woo, but I guess thats to be expected from an OTL amp.

The csp2 has deep tight and very controlled bass and thats an OTL so not all tube otl have loose bass. I have not heard the WA3 so not sure how it sounds but the taboo MK111 is also great with bass. Man this albums really show cases whats the quality of bass. Mark Arnopol bass playing is exceptional. I am hearing brilliant highs as well very extended and bas has so much texture and sounds very real.  Post Martum Blues really showcase the hd800 and the Taboo MK 111.

post #1488 of 25155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post

I am listening to Patricia Barber Modern Cool and listening to the track Company on the Taboo Mk111 with the hd800 and man oh man if anyone thinks the hd800 is bass light should listen to that track as It has real slam on the drums and the bass is very distinct with pin point focus in the soundstage with lots of air. Very special 

 

 

I love this track Frank....

post #1489 of 25155
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoengJyh View Post

How you guys think about the Fostex TH900?

 

Some HD800 fans claimed TH900 is better.

 

Pretty good headphone the TH-900.  I like the HD800s better though..

post #1490 of 25155
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

I love this track Frank....

Scary real on this setup. i also have some very nice tubes in the amp now using Amperex EL84 with a Phillips 5R4GYS and a Siemens ECC88 . The Phillips rectifier is so nice never seen a rectifier built like it is. I ordered another pair today from upscale audio before they are all gone

post #1491 of 25155

OK, Im listening to Modern Cool now too smile.gif

 

the opening bass in Touch of Trash is impressive! I havent heard this album yet with the HD800. My D7000 was just too much bass and midrange bloat.

 

Man Ive got to try that Taboo - because this sounds amazing out of my Benchmark and I cant imagine improving on it. That Decware must be something special!

 

Edit: OK, going from memory (unreliable), I think i get this tube thing. There is a slight dryness to the Benchmark that I can imagine being more "slippery/glossy" with something like the Taboo. I havent decided which i prefer, but i lean towards the DAC1 just because my brain tells me its more "accurate" - whatever that means ;)


Edited by palmfish - 3/30/13 at 8:58pm
post #1492 of 25155
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

OK, Im listening to Modern Cool now too smile.gif

 

the opening bass in Touch of Trash is impressive! I havent heard this album yet with the HD800. My D7000 was just too much bass and midrange bloat.

 

Man Ive got to try that Taboo - because this sounds amazing out of my Benchmark and I cant imagine improving on it. That Decware must be something special!

I liked it enough to sell my csp2. My full review will be coming in the next couple weeks hopefully have it done by 4/15. 

post #1493 of 25155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post

I liked it enough to sell my csp2. My full review will be coming in the next couple weeks hopefully have it done by 4/15. 

I look forward to it.

post #1494 of 25155

So, consider an upgrade from HD800 to TH900?

post #1495 of 25155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post

i also have some very nice tubes in the amp now using Amperex EL84 with a Phillips 5R4GYS and a Siemens ECC88 . The Phillips rectifier is so nice never seen a rectifier built like it is. I ordered another pair today from upscale audio before they are all gone

I tried the Philips 5R4GYS rectifier in my CSP but it was one of my least favorites. Very detailed, but too bass-shy and sterile.

RCA 5Y3GT and EML 5U4G meshplate have been my favorites thus far (surpassing Tung-Sol 5U4G and 5Y3GT, Sylvania 5U4G and 5Y3GT, RCA 5R4GY and 5U4G, and yes even the lush Brimar 5R4GY).

If you like the Philips, have you tried the USAF-596? It is similar in regards to detail retrieval, but with better bass and midrange IMHO.
post #1496 of 25155
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

Pretty good headphone the TH-900.  I like the HD800s better though..

 

x2. The TH900 is the only sealed headphone I owned/heard that wasn't embarrassed by the best open flagships of today. I like it...definitely my favourite closed offering. But, it's still easily behind the HD800 (overall).


Edited by Shahrose - 3/30/13 at 10:06pm
post #1497 of 25155
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoengJyh View Post

So, consider an upgrade from HD800 to TH900?

No, just no. Especially if you're looking for neutrality. Sold my TH900 to rebuy another HD800-and cost wasn't the issue.

-Daniel
post #1498 of 25155
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post


No, just no. Especially if you're looking for neutrality. Sold my TH900 to rebuy another HD800-and cost wasn't the issue.

-Daniel

 

I see. I saw you were keen to have the TH900 and even sold your HD800 to fund it. But now, you get back the HD800. rolleyes.gif No wonder... no wonder.

post #1499 of 25155

double posts.

post #1500 of 25155
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

BTW, I got to try my HD800 powered by a WA3 with Chatham 2399 power tube this morning. I admit it sounded very nice - very similar in mids and treble detail to my DAC1 only "wetter" if that makes sense. My Benchmark just sounded a little "dry" in comparison. Of course, the bass was a little bloated on the Woo, but I guess thats to be expected from an OTL amp.

 

try a 7236 tube (tung sol/sylvania), they're a little tighter than 2399/5998 if you're looking for less bass bloat.


Edited by Dubstep Girl - 3/30/13 at 11:34pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread