And the PS1000 isn't just kind of bad, it's terribad. Let's just forget Grado still makes headphones, ya?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 2/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- HD800: Valhalla2 or Lyr2 Last post on 4/16/15 at 12:47am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- McIntosh MHA-100 headphone amplifier review Last post on 4/20/15 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- My Grado SR325e's lost their magic Last post on 2/14/15 at 5:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- FS: Sennheiser HD800 Last post on 2/11/15 at 8:59am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Wa22+HD800 and EDM music? Last post on 2/10/15 at 3:39pm in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
Too lazy to write the full review yet LOL. Just posting this out first :)
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 98
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Lots of choices for flavour headphones without going completely off your rocker and getting a high priced Grato err Grado. Beyer 990 or Senn 650 or AT anything are all less expensive, more comfortable and just as flavoured.
I hope you're joking. As long as Grado interests people enough to buy their products, it's great and correct they do make them.
Competitive in terms of what? Remember that this hobby is an extremely subjective business... It's as much subjective as any objectivist here on head-fi is being highly criticised for even trying to be objective. ,-)
So I hope you realise that your view on Grado is nearly 100% subjective and therefore =/= the ultimate truth. My opinion is no less subjective, of course (not a Grado fan).
Edited by RustA - 3/30/13 at 5:51am
My opinion of Grado is objective. They measure like garbage, they aren't well constructed, they aren't comfortable and they cost a lot more than their competitors. Subjectively you may like their flawed response, but objectively they're junk. Their $80 model is ok though.
Off course they "measure like garbage" , but I still imagine people "subjectively" like them.
Anyway the "objective" argument , is only used when you find it's convenient.
Lot of expensive source (amp/dac) suggested on this thread , and no measurements, in the name of the sacro saint subjectivity.
When it's grados, then the objective argument is getting back.
I'm not sure if you are realizing the "double standard" used here to make any judgment.
This... Yes, this is head-fi.
All of my opinions are based on objective data and subjective experience. But yes a lot of people like things that are objectively a poor choice. For example I went back to the LCD-2 after owning the LCD-3 because subjectively it never sounded quite right and objectively it rings quite a bit.
On the HD800 front though objectively I expected to like them... subjectively I really didn't enjoy it the first two times. So subjectively I expected to be disappointed again this time out but now with my current gear they're subjectively awesome.
What drives me nuts is pure objectivists or pure subjectivists. Or worse objectivists who have exceptions making their objectivity more about justifying not spending money more than actual objectivity. The spending multiples of funds on the transducer instead of the amp or source comes to mind. Objectively there is no reason to believe transducers aren't bound by their measurements if you believe electronics or cables are. Just saying ;)
I'm now a proud owner of the HD800 after jumping from Beyer T1.. Really loving the HD800 now.. i find the treble just slightly exaggerated with some songs, but overall its acceptable, much better than the stock T1 (I have felt dampering mods on them). Overall am happy switching to the HD800.. the little improvements in sound is what got me.
Am currently running it with Audio-GD NFB 3.32 and Meier Concerto. What do you guys think of my rig? i'm loving the sound so far :)
But the headphone is the weakest link in the audio chain, it's the biggest bottleneck, that's why it still make sense.
Just like the performance of a pc is hampered by the hard drive, and the purchase of an expensive ssd make sense.
The source is not often a bottleneck, and now if you found source that let you better appreciate "subjectively"
your hd800, I'd be curious about the more technical details/measurements of your source.
The irony, is that it might be precisely because your source measure badly, that you'd appreciate better your hd800.
I agree, If strictly limited to a certain budget, I'd much rather have an HD800 with say, an O2/ODAC than a K701 with $1000 amp/dac combo. Obviously there is a lot of potential to be wrung out of the HD800 but with a lesser headphone, you can only max it out so much. And you can always upgrade your source components down the road.
Performance can be measured objectively, but perception will always be subjective.
On paper my BMW doesn't have as much acceleration, cornering, or braking ability as a Toyota Corrolla, but subjectively it's a lot more fun to drive.
- The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 seconds ago
- › Audio-gd NFB-10 9 seconds ago
- › Rate the video games you're currently playing 36 seconds ago
- › Bose AE2 - excellent condition 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 2 minutes ago
- › Don't be shy, contact us directly with problems with your FiiO! 2 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 2 minutes ago
- › Streaming service vs downloading? 3 minutes ago
- › Denon D7000 stock pads - pristine condition 3 minutes ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma sucks) 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by joku213
- › Somic HD MH463 Open-air Dynamic Pro Headphones (Black) by Sentinei
- › thinksound on1 Supra-Aural On-Ear Monitor Wooden Headphone by biggysmalls
- › TDK IE800 by Arvan
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back by sarora
- › VSONIC VSD 2S by Arvan
- › Master & Dynamic MH30 On Ear Headphone - Black by acain
- › SanDisk SDMX22-004G-A57K Sansa Clip Zip 4 GB, Black by kite7
- › Chord Hugo by FortisFlyer75
- › Technics RP-DH1200 DJ Headphones by Johannus
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2