And the PS1000 isn't just kind of bad, it's terribad. Let's just forget Grado still makes headphones, ya?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 2/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled! Last post on 7/18/16 at 2:18pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Sennheiser HD800 (like new) Price with shipping inside EU Last post on 5/21/15 at 10:20am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- HD800: Valhalla2 or Lyr2 Last post on 6/7/16 at 7:39pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- McIntosh MHA-100 headphone amplifier review Last post on 7/16/16 at 9:49pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- My Grado SR325e's lost their magic Last post on 8/23/15 at 5:45am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
Hi Head-Fi/Vibro Labs fans, I was the second stop on the Aria tour, and I've had a great week reviewing them. This post will contain some of my thoughts and impressions, and I'll be touching on...
Ok I have been using a pair of these for several years. I logged on because there are way too many positive reviews of these things. Firstly: everything I mix on these is significantly...
Never thought this day would come but I guess blunders are inevitable. There is no denying the Beyerdynamic T5p is one attractive looking Headphone, I think it's among the most beautiful and...
I didn't have much expectations when i ordered this headphone from GearBest back in january 2016..it took around 3 weeks to arrive and the packaging was simple. The moment i unpacked the box i got...
Note: I bought the Trinity Phantom Sabre in the pre-order period for ~75€. The Value rating is based on the full retail price of around 150€. Manufacturer website:...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 98
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Lots of choices for flavour headphones without going completely off your rocker and getting a high priced Grato err Grado. Beyer 990 or Senn 650 or AT anything are all less expensive, more comfortable and just as flavoured.
I hope you're joking. As long as Grado interests people enough to buy their products, it's great and correct they do make them.
Competitive in terms of what? Remember that this hobby is an extremely subjective business... It's as much subjective as any objectivist here on head-fi is being highly criticised for even trying to be objective. ,-)
So I hope you realise that your view on Grado is nearly 100% subjective and therefore =/= the ultimate truth. My opinion is no less subjective, of course (not a Grado fan).
Edited by RustA - 3/30/13 at 5:51am
My opinion of Grado is objective. They measure like garbage, they aren't well constructed, they aren't comfortable and they cost a lot more than their competitors. Subjectively you may like their flawed response, but objectively they're junk. Their $80 model is ok though.
Off course they "measure like garbage" , but I still imagine people "subjectively" like them.
Anyway the "objective" argument , is only used when you find it's convenient.
Lot of expensive source (amp/dac) suggested on this thread , and no measurements, in the name of the sacro saint subjectivity.
When it's grados, then the objective argument is getting back.
I'm not sure if you are realizing the "double standard" used here to make any judgment.
This... Yes, this is head-fi.
All of my opinions are based on objective data and subjective experience. But yes a lot of people like things that are objectively a poor choice. For example I went back to the LCD-2 after owning the LCD-3 because subjectively it never sounded quite right and objectively it rings quite a bit.
On the HD800 front though objectively I expected to like them... subjectively I really didn't enjoy it the first two times. So subjectively I expected to be disappointed again this time out but now with my current gear they're subjectively awesome.
What drives me nuts is pure objectivists or pure subjectivists. Or worse objectivists who have exceptions making their objectivity more about justifying not spending money more than actual objectivity. The spending multiples of funds on the transducer instead of the amp or source comes to mind. Objectively there is no reason to believe transducers aren't bound by their measurements if you believe electronics or cables are. Just saying ;)
I'm now a proud owner of the HD800 after jumping from Beyer T1.. Really loving the HD800 now.. i find the treble just slightly exaggerated with some songs, but overall its acceptable, much better than the stock T1 (I have felt dampering mods on them). Overall am happy switching to the HD800.. the little improvements in sound is what got me.
Am currently running it with Audio-GD NFB 3.32 and Meier Concerto. What do you guys think of my rig? i'm loving the sound so far :)
But the headphone is the weakest link in the audio chain, it's the biggest bottleneck, that's why it still make sense.
Just like the performance of a pc is hampered by the hard drive, and the purchase of an expensive ssd make sense.
The source is not often a bottleneck, and now if you found source that let you better appreciate "subjectively"
your hd800, I'd be curious about the more technical details/measurements of your source.
The irony, is that it might be precisely because your source measure badly, that you'd appreciate better your hd800.
I agree, If strictly limited to a certain budget, I'd much rather have an HD800 with say, an O2/ODAC than a K701 with $1000 amp/dac combo. Obviously there is a lot of potential to be wrung out of the HD800 but with a lesser headphone, you can only max it out so much. And you can always upgrade your source components down the road.
Performance can be measured objectively, but perception will always be subjective.
On paper my BMW doesn't have as much acceleration, cornering, or braking ability as a Toyota Corrolla, but subjectively it's a lot more fun to drive.
- The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 21 seconds ago
- › WTB Fostex TH-X00 2 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Cables - SE and XLR 3 minutes ago
- › Interest Check: Metrum Musette 3 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Launch (With Impressions) - Head-Fi TV 4 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 5 minutes ago
- › Vibro Labs Aria UK Review Tour 6 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 6 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 7 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 8 minutes ago
- › Vibro Labs Aria quad armature in-ear monitor by Talai
- › Shure SRH840 by haroldtheboss
- › Beyerdynamic T5p by MrTechAgent
- › Xiaomi Piston Colorful Starter Edition by aNtzE
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - PHANTOM SABRE by FUYU
- › Bluedio Vinyl Plus Luxury Wireless Bluetooth Headphones(Black) by mark2410
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by ostewart
- › Philips Fidelio S2 by Jemuillot
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by ryanjsoo
- › Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic Plus by hankaberle
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...