Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 2/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled! Last post on 2/20/17 at 6:50pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Sennheiser HD800 (like new) Price with shipping inside EU Last post on 5/21/15 at 10:20am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- HD800: Valhalla2 or Lyr2 Last post on 6/7/16 at 7:39pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- McIntosh MHA-100 headphone amplifier review Last post on 12/1/16 at 1:38pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- My Grado SR325e's lost their magic Last post on 8/23/15 at 5:45am in Headphones (full-size)
To begin with, I would like to thank iFi for making this great tour and allowing some of us to test this product. I've been enjoying my original micro iDSD since January 2015 and it is really a...
-- **This review is a sample portion from the full thread: Meet the Puresounds Earbud Family.** **All photos are taken by me.** **Disclaimer - I was provided the Puresounds...
There comes a time you're bored from your audio gear. You don't have a grand or two for a new set of ultra high end headphones to give you that fresh kick, and electronics costing as much as your...
MY GOD!!! I have just received my headphones! I have been putting them through there initial paces straight from the box, after just 30 mins I have had to come here to let you know my experience so...
At the time this review was written, the Oriveti NEW Primacy was listed for sale on Amazon’s website. Here is a link to their listing of the...
The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 92
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Being a long time "tube guy", I gotta say the GS-X is simply a worthy endgame amp....period.
Few more impressions;
Everything I'm throwing at these sounds good! The amount of times I've read that they need good recordings to sound good.. So not true. They have a certain silky charm that renders even bad recordings listenable. I've never heard strings sound this good. The texture and realness with some of my fave orchestral pieces is incredible. I'm not left wanting anything, or wanting less of anything. A perfect balance?
Getting back to that silky charm, its almost planar-esque. liquidy. Like smearing your naked body with butter and wrestling your partner (who is also coated in butter) to the floor in a display of forcefulness that encapsulates an expression of need. This, without any fear of friction burns.
The bass is warm, lovely and warm. Like the heat radiating from your flesh after hours of lovemaking on a summers night.
Nothing is messing with the middle frequencies. Instruments are there, where they should be. There is air. Each timbre laid bare. Naked and free, like young lovers running through cotton fields.. Never straying to far away from each other. Occasionally meeting when the need overwhelms them. But this is natural, nothing is forced.
The treble seems very well extended. Not too much. Extended enough. Almost like a lovers tongue as it explores... Exploring a landscape of flesh, picking up all tastes and textures as it searches. Searching for what? Everything that is in its path. It all tastes good.
Make sure to clean them after each, um, use.
Not quite sure the GSX will drive speakers quite as well as the ECL, Pete. I'll someday find out if the headphone output is on par though-hopefully by summer I will have my hands on both.
Congrats LugBug1! You're preaching to the choir here but it's always entertaining to read someone's initial impressions.
How does the crow taste btw? You and paradoxper should share recipes.
Haha, not that hard to swallow... Once its coated in butter!
I've had the HD800 for close to three months now & despite using them on a daily basis, it still takes me about half an hour of continuous use to fully adjust to its 'sound.' I typically listen in the evenings (after I'm worn silly from hours of playing basketball, followed by weightlifting).. so I'm mentally & physically ready to unwind (and I'm not adjusting from the signature of another headphone). Though after a half hour or so, I'm so immersed in their sound that you'd have to knock me out to pry them off my head.
Edited by FlySweep - 3/28/13 at 3:01am
I think loudness compression is partly justified for cars:
- you can't hear quietest parts, when there is noise outside
- the driver can't play endlessly with the volume knob while driving
- off course it's easier for radio, to match a single volume level, when everything is loudness compressed.
One purpose of loudness compression, (beside of making everything louder) is to make quieter part easier to listen.
A good analogy of loudness compression for photo, is HDR photography :
when the effect is exaggerated you see clearly local details, but the gobal contrast is killed, and the pic look fake.
Your analogy with "high def tv", corresponds more to "lossy compression", which is different to "loudness" one
Yes, that's my bad. I switched gears without clearly defining either type.
- The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
- › Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP... 2 seconds ago
- › The Stax Thread III 18 seconds ago
- › Obravo air motion IEM's Universals 24 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 54 seconds ago
- › Cowon Plenue D 1 minute ago
- › Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 minute ago
- › Chord Mojo => Macbook 12": How can I plug it in to the headphone jack? 1 minute ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. With WiFi and... 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 2 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by rafaelpernil
- › PureSounds PS100-600 by BloodyPenguin
- › Schiit Audio Vali 2 by DeeKay10
- › AKG K92 | Over Ear Closed Back Monitoring Headphone by SaturnVuk
- › ORIVETI NEW PRIMACY - Premium Triple Driver Hybrid HiFi IEM Headphones by Hisoundfi
- › Accutone Gemini HD by crabdog
- › FiiO F3 Dynamic In-Ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by chompchomps
- › Cayin i5 by piksnz
- › Empire Ears Zeus by ejong7
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear