Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 2/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled! Last post on 11/28/16 at 10:18am in High-end Audio Forum
- Sennheiser HD800 (like new) Price with shipping inside EU Last post on 5/21/15 at 10:20am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- HD800: Valhalla2 or Lyr2 Last post on 6/7/16 at 7:39pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- McIntosh MHA-100 headphone amplifier review Last post on 12/1/16 at 1:38pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- My Grado SR325e's lost their magic Last post on 8/23/15 at 5:45am in Headphones (full-size)
Lindemann musicbook:10 DSD A Serious Common Denominator | PREVIOUS REVIEW | REVIEW INDEX | NEXT REVIEW | INTRODUCTION Angles of Approach There’s always been a certain connotation...
http://www.fidue.com/content/view?brand=fidue_en&item=81&core=news Fidue have been active for some years now and they seem to have release great quality products / earphones. Personally,...
Beyerdynamic has been a tried and true brand for me over the years. In fact, their T70p was my first ever headphone I purchased over $200 (how the times have changed). Their quality and...
I am really disappointed with these cans. I have a Koss Porta Pro and I was waiting at least a closer quality compared to this. My AKG K420 sounds much better, with much more detail. These cans are...
This is a review of the LZ A4 IEM’s. First of all I’d like to thank LZ for sending me a review sample of the LZ A4. The retail price of the LA A4 is $195. The LZ A4 is available from both AK Audio...
The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 92
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Being a long time "tube guy", I gotta say the GS-X is simply a worthy endgame amp....period.
Few more impressions;
Everything I'm throwing at these sounds good! The amount of times I've read that they need good recordings to sound good.. So not true. They have a certain silky charm that renders even bad recordings listenable. I've never heard strings sound this good. The texture and realness with some of my fave orchestral pieces is incredible. I'm not left wanting anything, or wanting less of anything. A perfect balance?
Getting back to that silky charm, its almost planar-esque. liquidy. Like smearing your naked body with butter and wrestling your partner (who is also coated in butter) to the floor in a display of forcefulness that encapsulates an expression of need. This, without any fear of friction burns.
The bass is warm, lovely and warm. Like the heat radiating from your flesh after hours of lovemaking on a summers night.
Nothing is messing with the middle frequencies. Instruments are there, where they should be. There is air. Each timbre laid bare. Naked and free, like young lovers running through cotton fields.. Never straying to far away from each other. Occasionally meeting when the need overwhelms them. But this is natural, nothing is forced.
The treble seems very well extended. Not too much. Extended enough. Almost like a lovers tongue as it explores... Exploring a landscape of flesh, picking up all tastes and textures as it searches. Searching for what? Everything that is in its path. It all tastes good.
Make sure to clean them after each, um, use.
Not quite sure the GSX will drive speakers quite as well as the ECL, Pete. I'll someday find out if the headphone output is on par though-hopefully by summer I will have my hands on both.
Congrats LugBug1! You're preaching to the choir here but it's always entertaining to read someone's initial impressions.
How does the crow taste btw? You and paradoxper should share recipes.
Haha, not that hard to swallow... Once its coated in butter!
I've had the HD800 for close to three months now & despite using them on a daily basis, it still takes me about half an hour of continuous use to fully adjust to its 'sound.' I typically listen in the evenings (after I'm worn silly from hours of playing basketball, followed by weightlifting).. so I'm mentally & physically ready to unwind (and I'm not adjusting from the signature of another headphone). Though after a half hour or so, I'm so immersed in their sound that you'd have to knock me out to pry them off my head.
Edited by FlySweep - 3/28/13 at 3:01am
I think loudness compression is partly justified for cars:
- you can't hear quietest parts, when there is noise outside
- the driver can't play endlessly with the volume knob while driving
- off course it's easier for radio, to match a single volume level, when everything is loudness compressed.
One purpose of loudness compression, (beside of making everything louder) is to make quieter part easier to listen.
A good analogy of loudness compression for photo, is HDR photography :
when the effect is exaggerated you see clearly local details, but the gobal contrast is killed, and the pic look fake.
Your analogy with "high def tv", corresponds more to "lossy compression", which is different to "loudness" one
Yes, that's my bad. I switched gears without clearly defining either type.
- The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 1 minute ago
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Fostex THX00 Mahogany + ZMF Ori pads + Detachable Cable Mod By... 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze SINE Series 2 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!! 2 minutes ago
- › SPL PHONITOR 2 NEW HEADPHONE AMP 3 minutes ago
- › The Fiio A5 thread: an upgrade of E12A, MUSES02+LME49600, 800mW,... 3 minutes ago
- › Vinshine Audio DAC R2R-REF w/ soekris 4 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers... 4 minutes ago
- › Lindemann musicbook:10 DSD by thatonenoob
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by DynamikeB
- › Beyerdynamic T5p by Army-Firedawg
- › Sennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Black by Johannus
- › LZ-A4 by peter123
- › Etymotic ER4XR by leaky74
- › Etymotic ER4SR by leaky74
- › Effect Audio - Thor Silver II by sonickarma
- › Meze 12 Classics by OSiRiSsk
- › Roland Mobile UA UA-M10 USB Audio Interface by raoultrifan
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear