Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 2/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- They might be Kings: Focal Utopia, Sony MDR-Z1R, HiFiMan HE1000 V2 and MrSpeakers Ether Flow... Last post on 4/18/17 at 9:23am in Currawong
- Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled! Last post on 4/20/17 at 1:25pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Sennheiser HD800 (like new) Price with shipping inside EU Last post on 5/21/15 at 10:20am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- HD800: Valhalla2 or Lyr2 Last post on 6/7/16 at 7:39pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- McIntosh MHA-100 headphone amplifier review Last post on 12/1/16 at 1:38pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
In side the box besides the headphones of course, is the 3.5m cable which allows you to plug them into wired with any source, then the USB charge cable, which is...
Introduction/Disclaimer: I would like to thank Denise with Mixcder for the opportunity to review the X5 in ear monitor headphones. They provided me a free sample in exchange for my honest...
First thing you think of when you see this is, can this really project sound in 360 degrees, When you look at it, you wouldn't think it could. But yes it does, Sound is projected from...
Acknowledgment Thank you Lear for providing this review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. This review may also be viewed on my blog, here. List Price: $65 at time of review plus...
The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 92
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Being a long time "tube guy", I gotta say the GS-X is simply a worthy endgame amp....period.
Few more impressions;
Everything I'm throwing at these sounds good! The amount of times I've read that they need good recordings to sound good.. So not true. They have a certain silky charm that renders even bad recordings listenable. I've never heard strings sound this good. The texture and realness with some of my fave orchestral pieces is incredible. I'm not left wanting anything, or wanting less of anything. A perfect balance?
Getting back to that silky charm, its almost planar-esque. liquidy. Like smearing your naked body with butter and wrestling your partner (who is also coated in butter) to the floor in a display of forcefulness that encapsulates an expression of need. This, without any fear of friction burns.
The bass is warm, lovely and warm. Like the heat radiating from your flesh after hours of lovemaking on a summers night.
Nothing is messing with the middle frequencies. Instruments are there, where they should be. There is air. Each timbre laid bare. Naked and free, like young lovers running through cotton fields.. Never straying to far away from each other. Occasionally meeting when the need overwhelms them. But this is natural, nothing is forced.
The treble seems very well extended. Not too much. Extended enough. Almost like a lovers tongue as it explores... Exploring a landscape of flesh, picking up all tastes and textures as it searches. Searching for what? Everything that is in its path. It all tastes good.
Make sure to clean them after each, um, use.
Not quite sure the GSX will drive speakers quite as well as the ECL, Pete. I'll someday find out if the headphone output is on par though-hopefully by summer I will have my hands on both.
Congrats LugBug1! You're preaching to the choir here but it's always entertaining to read someone's initial impressions.
How does the crow taste btw? You and paradoxper should share recipes.
Haha, not that hard to swallow... Once its coated in butter!
I've had the HD800 for close to three months now & despite using them on a daily basis, it still takes me about half an hour of continuous use to fully adjust to its 'sound.' I typically listen in the evenings (after I'm worn silly from hours of playing basketball, followed by weightlifting).. so I'm mentally & physically ready to unwind (and I'm not adjusting from the signature of another headphone). Though after a half hour or so, I'm so immersed in their sound that you'd have to knock me out to pry them off my head.
Edited by FlySweep - 3/28/13 at 3:01am
I think loudness compression is partly justified for cars:
- you can't hear quietest parts, when there is noise outside
- the driver can't play endlessly with the volume knob while driving
- off course it's easier for radio, to match a single volume level, when everything is loudness compressed.
One purpose of loudness compression, (beside of making everything louder) is to make quieter part easier to listen.
A good analogy of loudness compression for photo, is HDR photography :
when the effect is exaggerated you see clearly local details, but the gobal contrast is killed, and the pic look fake.
Your analogy with "high def tv", corresponds more to "lossy compression", which is different to "loudness" one
Yes, that's my bad. I switched gears without clearly defining either type.
- The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
- › MrSpeakers Electrostatic Prototype Listening Impressions 1 minute ago
- › 64 Audio A18 Tzar (TM) Impressions Thread (Impressions, Reviews,... 2 minutes ago
- › Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 2 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 2 minutes ago
- › SpinFit Eartips Thread - The cheapest audio upgrade 2 minutes ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 2 minutes ago
- › What the $^&# heck is it?.........iFi iEMatch! 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 3 minutes ago
- › Ranking the Stars - flinkenick's 2017 IEM Flagship Shootout 3 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ObjectVoice
- › Archeer AH07 Bluetooth Headphones Wireless Stereo Over Ear... by genclaymore
- › Wired Earphones, Mixcder X5 In-Ear Earbud Headphones Metal Housing... by slowpickr
- › ARCHEER Bluetooth Speakers Fabric Covering Portable Wireless... by genclaymore
- › LEAR BTC-01 by glassmonkey
- › Xiaomi Mi Hybrid Pro HD by Nymphonomaniac
- › Vibro Labs Aria quad armature in-ear monitor by Delance26
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Layman1
- › Fischer Audio Omega Spark by B9Scrambler
- › Meze 99 Neo by ryanjsoo
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear