Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 896

post #13426 of 13924
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post
 

I hope they don't release an electro static headphone. I don't want to have to buy another amp

I can't wait to hear your take on the DNA Stratus. The HD800 is so addictive. Balanced cables and an upgraded amp are in the future. 

post #13427 of 13924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellasperson View Post

Pinnacle and 105D. That is way out on the end of the curve if not the actual end.  Have you listened to LCD3s to see how they compare to the HD800 with this set up? I suspect you have identified the solution for the HD800. Match the best phones with the best amp and best source and you will be happy.  Everyone else will struggle. I just sold my 800s and purchased a pair of 700s.  Needed a break from the struggle.
Isnt the HD700 a major downgrade?
post #13428 of 13924

As a previous owner of the HD700, I wouldn't say that it's a major downgrade.  I can see the attraction of less needy source & amplification requirements and the HD700 does have a certain fun factor. There at times I wish I stopped at the HD700 Bifrost Uber / Lyr combo but am having fun with the HD800.  Sorry for my wallet. It's all a matter of taste and what personally suits you.  YMMV.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam50000 View Post


Isnt the HD700 a major downgrade?

Edited by MickeyVee - 8/29/14 at 8:19pm
post #13429 of 13924
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUMAY408 View Post
 

I can't wait to hear your take on the DNA Stratus. The HD800 is so addictive. Balanced cables and an upgraded amp are in the future. 

I will do a big write up when i get it - cant wait. 

post #13430 of 13924

In the context of measurable performance the HD700 is a big step down.  In terms of listening enjoyment it is a step up.  I liked everthing about my HD800s except I found them difficult to listen to for extended periods of time. They revealed so much background imperfection in recordings that I found it distracting. I found listening to my HD650s much more enjoyable. I think of the HD 700s as a having some of the positive attributes of the 650s and some of the 800s but being different from both. Note that I said I needed a break from my 800s.  I think I will own another pair one day but for the time being I am going to listen to the 700s.

 

I also have a pair of LCD3f.  I love the sound.  They weigh a lot.  After about hour two they start to be noticable.  In the end its about picking your point of compromise. 

post #13431 of 13924

I'm curious what your HD800 serial begins with i.e. 20XXX, 30XXX, etc.  Because my pair exhibits the typical 6Khz peak with s/n 30XXX and do not find it objectionable with the relevance of detail retrieval.  Both my Fostex TH900 and HE-6 offers brighter highs.

 

I was following the HD800 thread for a long time before deciding to get one and see what all the fuss is about.  It is extremely convincing when a good recording is played rendering an image that is second to none.  This is one of the most extraordinary achievement in HP.  However, as far as detail retrieval, the pair I have is on par albeit slightly less than the two aforementioned hp.  

post #13432 of 13924

I've said it before and I'll say it again, from my experience anyway: all stock HD800s sound the same. I've owned/own iirc 14xxx, 17xxx, 19xxx, 23xxx, 25xxx. Found no differences between any of them worth mentioning, aside from obvious gear changes. Nice to know Senn has their flagship qc down pat-as opposed to say, Beyer's T1.

 

-Daniel

post #13433 of 13924
Its kinda obvious too with the high resolution graphs that sennheiser supplies that all hd800s are identical.
post #13434 of 13924
Quote:
Originally Posted by fccn75 View Post
 

I'm curious what your HD800 serial begins with i.e. 20XXX, 30XXX, etc.  Because my pair exhibits the typical 6Khz peak with s/n 30XXX and do not find it objectionable with the relevance of detail retrieval.  Both my Fostex TH900 and HE-6 offers brighter highs.

 

I was following the HD800 thread for a long time before deciding to get one and see what all the fuss is about.  It is extremely convincing when a good recording is played rendering an image that is second to none.  This is one of the most extraordinary achievement in HP.  However, as far as detail retrieval, the pair I have is on par albeit slightly less than the two aforementioned hp.  

This is a perfect case in reference to what could be described as 'our unique hearing' and that we all different. I also find a lot of other quality headphones brighter than the HD800. Different peaks affect different folks... But an irritating peak (for some) doesn't mean that the HD800 is the brightest hp out there. 

post #13435 of 13924
What about this?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/646871/new-hd-800-very-different-than-the-old-hd-800
post #13436 of 13924

Ive head 16x number HD800 and owner one 27x, could not tell any difference at all. 

post #13437 of 13924
Quote:SP Wild
 Its kinda obvious too with the high resolution graphs that sennheiser supplies that all hd800s are identical.

 

Check the last few pages of this thread......

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433059/sennheiser-hd800-certificate-for-frequency-response-arrived/555#post_10834596

post #13438 of 13924

Is the Burson ha-160D/Conductor sl good match with hd800? What about WA7 fireflies? Is there something better that I should consider buying when my price range is 800-1600$ for both amp and dac?

post #13439 of 13924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopup View Post
 

Is the Burson ha-160D/Conductor sl good match with hd800? What about WA7 fireflies? Is there something better that I should consider buying when my price range is 800-1600$ for both amp and dac?

You should differently consider one Questyle cma800r, thats one brilliant amp if you love everything HD800 offers. 

post #13440 of 13924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopup View Post

Is the Burson ha-160D/Conductor sl good match with hd800? What about WA7 fireflies? Is there something better that I should consider buying when my price range is 800-1600$ for both amp and dac?

Regarding the Woo WA7 Fireflies, I'm not totally happy with the pairing with the HD800s. It doesn't provide enough low-end support for my tastes. Of course others may hear it differently!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread