Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 883

post #13231 of 16608
ALO Studio Six
post #13232 of 16608
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post

ThanX bro.
I really needed to hear that today.

Big UPS man.

It's been a really bad morning!
Thankfully submitted a review into PFO before things went south, but...
Well, its always something right??

WE had to put our oldest pet down yesterday.
I ended up in as LONG listening sesh - w/ my Studio Six and HD800s!

Sorry to hear about your pet sir. My heart goes out to you and I hope you feel better soon.
post #13233 of 16608

Hi. Everyone, I've had the HD800 for over a week now. I like how they sound overall, except the treble can be a little harsh on certain tracks. One thing that puzzles me is that everyone keeps talking about how the HD800 sounds more speaker like than other headphones, like how they have a wide soundstage and the music sounds like it's coming from afar.

 

I HAVE NOT EXPERIENCED THIS AT ALL with the HD800, or any other headphones for that matter. I am powering them with the Mayflower Objective 2 O2 DAC/amp. Is this amp the problem? I don't understand, I have plenty of Flac files of pop, rock, vocal, trance, acoustic, classical music. All of these which sound like they are coming from next to my ears. Sure the music sounds "airy", but I know I would recognize that all the music comes from right next to my ears, even if someone hit me on the head with a baseball bat and I was drunk. Why doesn't the soundstage effect work for me?Please help.

post #13234 of 16608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

ALO Studio Six

Thats one very fine amp, for me it is a matter of how far to go (cost) being a factor.  

 

I'm using the ALO Audio MKlllB+ for portable and the Meier Classic for the desk.

 

One of these days I can see a bigger badder amp as the HD800 scales, it's just a matter of dropping 5-10K that's all.

post #13235 of 16608
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytfmichaelxu View Post
 

Hi. Everyone, I've had the HD800 for over a week now. I like how they sound overall, except the treble can be a little harsh on certain tracks. One thing that puzzles me is that everyone keeps talking about how the HD800 sounds more speaker like than other headphones, like how they have a wide soundstage and the music sounds like it's coming from afar.

 

I HAVE NOT EXPERIENCED THIS AT ALL with the HD800, or any other headphones for that matter. I am powering them with the Mayflower Objective 2 O2 DAC/amp. Is this amp the problem? I don't understand, I have plenty of Flac files of pop, rock, vocal, trance, acoustic, classical music. All of these which sound like they are coming from next to my ears. Sure the music sounds "airy", but I know I would recognize that all the music comes from right next to my ears, even if someone hit me on the head with a baseball bat and I was drunk. Why doesn't the soundstage effect work for me?Please help.


The soundstage you're experiencing is often referred to as "headstage" - headphones have physical limitations and you're simply not going to get the sort of localization that you get with speakers. With the HD800 what you'll get is a greater diffusivity in comparison to other headphones, a sort of greater headstage. Maybe that's what you're referring to when you say that it sounds "airy".

post #13236 of 16608
Quote:
Originally Posted by anetode View Post
 


The soundstage you're experiencing is often referred to as "headstage" - headphones have physical limitations and you're simply not going to get the sort of localization that you get with speakers. With the HD800 what you'll get is a greater diffusivity in comparison to other headphones, a sort of greater headstage. Maybe that's what you're referring to when you say that it sounds "airy".

lol. What the hell then, It is nowhere near as impressive as everyone made it out to be. Some even went as far as to say that they can point to where the sounds of specific instruments comes from. What a crock of nonsense. Thx for the reply though.


Edited by ytfmichaelxu - 8/18/14 at 6:37pm
post #13237 of 16608
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytfmichaelxu View Post
 

lol. What the hell then, It is nowhere near as impressive as everyone made it out to be. Some even went as far as to say that they can point to where the sounds of specific instruments comes from. What a crock of nonsense. Thx for the reply though.

Yeah, I'd stick with the Beats...they really rock! :rolleyes: 

post #13238 of 16608
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytfmichaelxu View Post
 

lol. What the hell then, It is nowhere near as impressive as everyone made it out to be. Some even went as far as to say that they can point to where the sounds of specific instruments comes from. What a crock of nonsense. Thx for the reply though.


If you practice critical listening then you can still discern the layering, space between instruments, lateralization and even verticality in recordings. Find a minimally mic'd recording of acoustic music, or any competent binaural recording, close your eyes and listen carefully. It's there if you look for it.

post #13239 of 16608

Do you hav

Quote:
Originally Posted by anetode View Post
 


If you practice critical listening then you can still discern the layering, space between instruments, lateralization and even verticality in recordings. Find a minimally mic'd recording of acoustic music, or any competent binaural recording, close your eyes and listen carefully. It's there if you look for it.

Would you have any tracks to recommend? I pay very close attention when I listen to music, I can discern the separation of different instruments when listening to classical, the space between instruments however.... As for binaural recordings, you can locate sounds with any half competent headphones, so that wouldn't set the HD800 apart. There are certain parts of some tracks that fooled me into thinking the sound is coming from outside of the headphones, however, only certain part of certain tracks.

post #13240 of 16608
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

Yeah, I'd stick with the Beats...they really rock! :rolleyes: 

facetious jon snow, I may not be as audio savvy as most, but I do have certain standards.


Edited by ytfmichaelxu - 8/18/14 at 9:00pm
post #13241 of 16608
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytfmichaelxu View Post
 

Do you hav

Would you have any tracks to recommend? I pay very close attention when I listen to music, I can discern the separation of different instruments when listening to classical, the space between instruments however.... As for binaural recordings, you can locate sounds with any half competent headphones, so that wouldn't set the HD800 apart. There are certain parts of some tracks that fooled me into thinking the sound is coming from outside of the headphones, however, only certain part of certain tracks.

 

There's kind of a cheesy but enthralling "space age" 60s track I like to use - Esquivel's "Brazil" from See It in Sound. I like to sit back and let my ears do the watching and observe the distinct (artificial) environs.

 

For something a little more natural there's Bill Evans' Waltz for Debby. Same approach, just spread over an hour spent in a chill jazz club.

 

Alternately find a good recording of your favorite classical piece. I like to sit back and absorb Wagner's Tristan und Isolde for such purposes.

post #13242 of 16608
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytfmichaelxu View Post

I may not be as audio savvy as most, but I do have certain

Didn't you hear that the Beats were happening?

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/time-rethink-beats-solo2-excellent

Edited by MacedonianHero - 8/18/14 at 9:02pm
post #13243 of 16608
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytfmichaelxu View Post

facetious jon snow, I may not be as audio savvy as most, but I do have certain standards.

Didn't you hear the Beats were happening?

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/time-rethink-beats-solo2-excellent
post #13244 of 16608
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post


Didn't you hear the Beats were happening?

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/time-rethink-beats-solo2-excellent

Whoa! never would have thought the beats line would start to make quality products.

post #13245 of 16608
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytfmichaelxu View Post
 

Hi. Everyone, I've had the HD800 for over a week now. I like how they sound overall, except the treble can be a little harsh on certain tracks. One thing that puzzles me is that everyone keeps talking about how the HD800 sounds more speaker like than other headphones, like how they have a wide soundstage and the music sounds like it's coming from afar.

 

I HAVE NOT EXPERIENCED THIS AT ALL with the HD800, or any other headphones for that matter. I am powering them with the Mayflower Objective 2 O2 DAC/amp. Is this amp the problem? I don't understand, I have plenty of Flac files of pop, rock, vocal, trance, acoustic, classical music. All of these which sound like they are coming from next to my ears. Sure the music sounds "airy", but I know I would recognize that all the music comes from right next to my ears, even if someone hit me on the head with a baseball bat and I was drunk. Why doesn't the soundstage effect work for me?Please help.

 

So you're running your $1500 headphone out of a hundred dollar amp, and wonder why you're not getting better results?

 

Gotcha.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread