Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 881

post #13201 of 18494
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethatsound View Post

your hdva600 will not colour the sound,it's been made 2 drive the hd800s probably . using this amp with the balance cable will give you the best results you're ever gonna get with the hd 800s.So really it's all down 2 the dac your using,the better the dac the better your hd 800s will sound.l use the hdvd800 which is the same amp as you, but with a built in dac, which I don't use.i use the chord hugo as the dac and could listen 2 it all day and all night like this . Just find the right dac for you.the hd800s are one of the best headphones you can get at the moment,they tell it as it is.

Not exactly true. As discussed at length in this thread a couple weeks back, the Senn amps have an output impedance of 40 ohms, which does boost the hd800s bass. Purrin posted some very cool graphs documenting this effect a while ago using several different impedance adapters to show the impact on FR. With push pull and dual mono amps, running balanced doubles that output impedance and the resulting bass boost. I'm not suggesting that there is any objective good or bad in this, but it is definitely coloring the sound.
post #13202 of 18494
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptic View Post

Not exactly true. As discussed at length in this thread a couple weeks back, the Senn amps have an output impedance of 40 ohms, which does boost the hd800s bass. Purrin posted some very cool graphs documenting this effect a while ago using several different impedance adapters to show the impact on FR. With push pull and dual mono amps, running balanced doubles that output impedance and the resulting bass boost. I'm not suggesting that there is any objective good or bad in this, but it is definitely coloring the sound.
well it's not coloring is it, because that's how the hd800s are supposed 2 sound, that's why senn made the amps so you could hear the hd800s how they should be heard.And they got it right.
post #13203 of 18494
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethatsound View Post

well it's not coloring is it, because that's how the hd800s are supposed 2 sound, that's why senn made the amps so you could hear the hd800s how they should be heard.And they got it right.

The headphones predated the amps, and Senn never suggested that they were intended for a high output impedance. In fact, Senn used to demo them at shows with stuff like the dac1, that has a 1 ohm output.

After several years of fairly prevalent complaints on the net that a lot of people found them too bright with SS gear, Senn released its own high output impedance SS amp, causing a boosted bass response. If that's not coloring them, what precisely would you call it?
post #13204 of 18494
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethatsound View Post


well it's not coloring is it, because that's how the hd800s are supposed 2 sound, that's why senn made the amps so you could hear the hd800s how they should be heard.And they got it right.

One of the funnier things I've read in this thread.  :tongue:

post #13205 of 18494
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptic View Post


The headphones predated the amps, and Senn never suggested that they were intended for a high output impedance. In fact, Senn used to demo them at shows with stuff like the dac1, that has a 1 ohm output.

After several years of fairly prevalent complaints on the net that a lot of people found them too bright with SS gear, Senn released its own high output impedance SS amp, causing a boosted bass response. If that's not coloring them, what precisely would you call it?

+1.

post #13206 of 18494
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethatsound View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptic View Post

Not exactly true. As discussed at length in this thread a couple weeks back, the Senn amps have an output impedance of 40 ohms, which does boost the hd800s bass. Purrin posted some very cool graphs documenting this effect a while ago using several different impedance adapters to show the impact on FR. With push pull and dual mono amps, running balanced doubles that output impedance and the resulting bass boost. I'm not suggesting that there is any objective good or bad in this, but it is definitely coloring the sound.
well it's not coloring is it, because that's how the hd800s are supposed 2 sound, that's why senn made the amps so you could hear the hd800s how they should be heard.And they got it right.

 

IMO the Senn amp doesn't make the HD800s sound "the way it's supposed to sound" as skeptic said, the headphone predates the amp. The only way you can state an amp makes a headphone the way it's supposed to sound is if the amp predates the headphone, and the headphone were voiced using that amp. In this case, I think I read somewhere that Sennheiser used the Lehmann BCL to voice the HD800.

 

I know this makes little sense, but IMO from my hearing, the Senn amp is a heavily colored amp. I'm not saying that its bad, in fact I'm enjoying it a lot. But it is exactly why I'm looking forward to get another amp such as the BHA-1, which IMO is one of the "budget high-end" amp with the least coloration.

post #13207 of 18494
At the end of the hd800s sound great with a senn amp.The senn amp was made 2 drive the hd 800s as they should be driven,how senn intended you 2 hear them . It's just a case of finding the right dac.
post #13208 of 18494
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethatsound View Post

At the end of the hd800s sound great with a senn amp.The senn amp was made 2 drive the hd 800s as they should be driven,how senn intended you 2 hear them . It's just a case of finding the right dac.

 

HDVD800 does contain a DAC. Would you say it's the reference level intended by Sennheiser? Following your logic, it should be. Why would they create the "perfect" amp and not the DAC?

post #13209 of 18494
Quote:
Originally Posted by PleasantSounds View Post

HDVD800 does contain a DAC. Would you say it's the reference level intended by Sennheiser? Following your logic, it should be. Why would they create the "perfect" amp and not the DAC?
The Dac was put in the hdvd800 just 4 the market place at the TIME . IT'S just an ok dac.If they had put a really good dac in the hdvd would have cost about £3000.And I suppose senn wouldn't have sold as many.But whatever you think the senn amps are made 2 drive the hd800s as senn intended you 2 hear them. Ask senn if don't believe me.
post #13210 of 18494

Obviously Senn would say that their amp is the best so they can sell stuff. 

post #13211 of 18494
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post
 

Obviously Senn would say that their amp is the best so they can sell stuff. 

 

This. Go to Burger King or McDonald's and ask either one which fastfood restaurant sells the best burger, and each one of them would claim that they are better. I also have the Senn amp, and I love it. But it would be naive to suggest that its the absolute best amp for the HD800..

 

I say this because even compared to amps in the same price range like the BHA-1, the Senn amp trades pros & cons. Each one have their own advantages and disadvantages, so it's not an absolute win for the Senn amp (to this date, I still have dreams about the BHA-1 :tongue_smile:).


Edited by 62ohm - 8/18/14 at 12:08am
post #13212 of 18494
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethatsound View Post


The Dac was put in the hdvd800 just 4 the market place at the TIME . IT'S just an ok dac.If they had put a really good dac in the hdvd would have cost about £3000.And I suppose senn wouldn't have sold as many.But whatever you think the senn amps are made 2 drive the hd800s as senn intended you 2 hear them. Ask senn if don't believe me.

 

Oh, so the commercial reality applies to the DAC, but not to the Amp....

And the "just ok DAC" is worth the $500 difference in price...

Thanks.... all is clear now....

post #13213 of 18494

hello guys, i plan on buying hd800 but idk what kind of amp i should get, is there cheap, also if portable thats a plus one that i can bring out full potential?

 

i plan to use it for gaming/movies/music 

and can it be used for basically consoles also? if so has anybody done it before?


Edited by Caguioa - 8/18/14 at 12:19am
post #13214 of 18494

There is no great cheap amp, but the Vali and M-stage are pretty good. 

post #13215 of 18494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caguioa View Post
 

hello guys, i plan on buying hd800 but idk what kind of amp i should get, is there cheap, also if portable thats a plus one that i can bring out full potential?

 

i plan to use it for gaming/movies/music 

and can it be used for basically consoles also? if so has anybody done it before?

Best cheaper amp that I've paired with the 800 is the Valhalla 2...not portable. The Vali is decent and cheaper but also not portable.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread