Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 831

post #12451 of 13873

Thanks for the info!

There are many people on a tight budget, and not enough talk of budget rigs, so this is very helpful.

post #12452 of 13873
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

^ awesome DAC.  I tried it and liked it a lot.  That DAC + a good tube amp + HD800 = sonic heaven.  Hint Hint Hint....:D 

Im on the lookout for a DAC for HD800 / DNA Stratus - I might consider this but i'll have to wait for the YGG to come out as well. 

post #12453 of 13873

I started with some random A/Bing of HPs today and honed in on the following set-ups:

 

1. Gungnir -->BH Crack w/SB --> HD 800

2. Gungnir --> KGSShv --> Stax SR 007 mk1

 

I did this for an hour or so only with the same tracks but the only problem I see with my experimenting is with the volume levels on two different amps. I was simply blown away with combo 1. Larger soundstage (no surprise), better detail (noticeable) and actually deeper bass on some of the tracks where I expected the 007 to go deeper. I need to go back and do this for 3-4 hours during the weekend but this is what my ears are telling me.

post #12454 of 13873
Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post

I started with some random A/Bing of HPs today and honed in on the following set-ups:

1. Gungnir -->BH Crack w/SB --> HD 800
2. Gungnir --> KGSShv --> Stax SR 007 mk1

I did this for an hour or so only with the same tracks but the only problem I see with my experimenting is with the volume levels on two different amps. I was simply blown away with combo 1. Larger soundstage (no surprise), better detail (noticeable) and actually deeper bass on some of the tracks where I expected the 007 to go deeper. I need to go back and do this for 3-4 hours during the weekend but this is what my ears are telling me.

This is good to know . I've never had the chance to listen to e stat headphones but from what I've read I think the 007 km 1 would be to my taste. I'm really happy with my dynamic rig so I'm done with any upgrades to it. The only way to go now is down the stax path but anything that convinces me otherwise is good for my wallet . I look forward to more comparisons , would you say the 007 is tonally similar to HD800? What are the most noticeable differences in the sound?
post #12455 of 13873
Seems that the 009 is the only headphone that beats the HD800.
But still i wouldn't give up body of sound for a litle more detail.
I never heard the 009 , but this is my conclusion from reading comparisons on head fi.
post #12456 of 13873
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearljam50000 View Post

Seems that the 009 is the only headphone that beats the HD800.
But still i wouldn't give up body of sound for a litle more detail.
I never heard the 009 , but this is my conclusion from reading comparisons on head fi.

I agree, it also sounds like it's a bit brighter than the HD800 and that's as bright as I would ever go . I tend to gravitate toward a slightly warm sound which is why I really enjoy the HD600 . I think my ultimate headphone judging from descriptions and measurements would be the HE90.
post #12457 of 13873
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearljam50000 View Post

Seems that the 009 is the only headphone that beats the HD800.
But still i wouldn't give up body of sound for a litle more detail.
I never heard the 009 , but this is my conclusion from reading comparisons on head fi.

 

I've heard it the other way around before as well with SR-009 having more punch than HD800. Depends on who you ask and personal preference. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions without hearing it…although I probably won't try it unless I for sure had 10k set aside for headphones at that moment. 

 

So far the HD800 has been by favourite and top performer under $2000. I would hate to try the 007 and 009 and like it more and not be able to upgrade for awhile. Although for a lot of people it's beneficial as then it gives you a reason to save up for and look forward to. I've done this numerous times, although the SR-009 is a freak of a jump overall in investment compared to other phones.

post #12458 of 13873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post
 

 

I've heard it the other way around before as well with SR-009 having more punch than HD800. Depends on who you ask and personal preference. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions without hearing it…although I probably won't try it unless I for sure had 10k set aside for headphones at that moment. 

 

So far the HD800 has been by favourite and top performer under $2000. I would hate to try the 007 and 009 and like it more and not be able to upgrade for awhile. Although for a lot of people it's beneficial as then it gives you a reason to save up for and look forward to. I've done this numerous times, although the SR-009 is a freak of a jump overall in investment compared to other phones.

 

 

My nightmare:   I pay upwards of five grand for a pair or SR-009's and amplification.  

 

And still prefer my HD800's with a good tube amp.     

post #12459 of 13873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodet View Post
 

 

 

My nightmare:   I pay upwards of five grand for a pair or SR-009's and amplification.  

 

And still prefer my HD800's with a good tube amp.     

 

Buy used, sell used. Minimum loss. Take that money and pimp your HD800 or invest in monitors/speakers.

post #12460 of 13873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodet View Post


My nightmare:   I pay upwards of five grand for a pair or SR-009's and amplification.  

And still prefer my HD800's with a good tube amp.     

Tell me about it! It would make for a very expensive paperweight! The other thing that worried me about electrostats is reliability . I hear to much talk of channel imbalance and blown driver. The HD800 is built so well and the drivers are so perfect that I can imagine them still going strong a long time after I'm dead and buried.
post #12461 of 13873

I wonder if there is a HD900 is works. They spent like 5 years working on the HD800. Although at the moment they don't have really have much reason in releasing it considering how well the HD800 continues to sell today with no real threat by other manufacturers.

 

If there was indeed a HD900 in the works, what physical changes would you like to see to further improve upon the HD800?

post #12462 of 13873

i listen to one of my favorite songs in youtube with my new  hd800 and i most consider i still dont have any amp or dac (on the way).

 

LUCIO DALLA @ CARUSO

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2VRd8EtYzM

 

Lara Fabian -Caruso 

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zghquyoOZ0

 

Just terrific , awasome i love how this headphone built so good and designed so well

sound fabulous.

 

damn god.

post #12463 of 13873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post
 

I wonder if there is a HD900 is works. They spent like 5 years working on the HD800. Although at the moment they don't have really have much reason in releasing it considering how well the HD800 continues to sell today with no real threat by other manufacturers.

 

If there was indeed a HD900 in the works, what physical changes would you like to see to further improve upon the HD800?

 

I think they will call it HD1000 or maybe not so it will not be mixed with AKG1000 :)

post #12464 of 13873
lol
Anyways the HD800's soundstage is better than the 009's, and everyone agrees on that and its the very important to me, i want headphones that sounds as close as possible to speakers.
post #12465 of 13873
To me the big thing the SR-009 had over the HD800 was a sweeter, more natural and organic tonality. Other than that, I'd say the HD800 was even superior in details. This was comparing HD800 with GS-X mk2 vs SR-009 on BHSE at the HeadAmp table.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread