Quick question—need a new amp for the HD800. Which one has the absolute biggest soundstage and the most articulation and delicacy? Let's say under $2K, to keep this interesting.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 2/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Have I killed my HD800s? Last post on 11/22/14 at 4:56pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD800 for gaming overkill? Last post on 11/21/14 at 2:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Comparison / Review: A tale of two flagships – T1 vs HD800 Last post on 11/23/14 at 3:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- My Personal Review on the Sennheiser ie80 Last post on 11/15/14 at 4:00am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- HD800 plus top-notch head amp OR Stax SR-007mk2 & Stax Energiser? Last post on 11/12/14 at 9:13am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: Today
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: Today
These headphones have a nice open soundstage for an earbud headphone and are relatively comfortable to wear. The sound does seem to "settle" and refine somewhat after some time of burning in. They...
I am really surprised to see so many positive reviews on the DT 770. To my ears, the sound this headphone renders is muffled. To my ears they sound as though someone has placed a heavy cloth over...
I have owned the Ultrasone Pro 750 for approximately 6 years and to say that I am familiar with the sound of this particular headphone would be an immense understatement. As a highly experienced...
So I bought these because I wanted to sleep and I can't sleep with over ear headphones on a window seat since the moment you put pressure on the bands, it goes haywire(the noise...
it take some time to fit these properly one of a kind sound great mids and highs, female vocal is good, male vocal a bit thin. At this price range, you can not get better bass, its the kind of...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 83
Gear mentioned in this thread:
The new Decware Taboo MK III has a huge soundstage with the HD800's. You can adjust it as well with the Lucid modes which have a crossfeed function .Depending on what song you are listening too, the Lucid's can add or take away. It is the biggest soundstage I have ever heard with HP's.
Here are some pics of the amp...(and a few more...)
Edited by longbowbbs - 3/24/13 at 12:45pm
How it is different than using an eq ? So much distrust for dsp here.
Anyways , I tried to reduce treble by 6db ---> lost some excitement/clarity
then 3db, again loss of what partly makes the hd800 interesting
then 1.5 db then finally less than 1db then it's not worth it to eq at all.
The stereo separation is true source of fatigue with the hd800, much more than
any supposed treble emphasis.
I recently started using the TB Isone plugin on another member's recommendation with better results than the built in JRiver crossfeed I was using. Completely non fatiguing and imaging cues seem to be more accurate on most recordings, as well as some recordings that sounded off or flat before actually sound correct.
I guess I didn't realize how hard panning some stereo effects can be with headphones, though I think the HD800 does better than most in that regard. I think some "details" can seem a little more distant and less exaggerated with it enabled, but I feel it's actually more accurate to the original intent with most recordings. Especially heavily produced and electronic music.
For instance, Skrillex without a well executed crossfeed is almost unlistenable with the aggressive panning effects, but sounds quite good with it enabled. I also feel zero need to EQ with it enabled, and think it showcases just how truly neutral and accurate the HD800 is.
considering the 180 that people pulled on the LCD2 i am really trying to to buy anything on the opinion of others. listen then buy. This about-face just showed me how we are susceptible we are to social forces and placebo effects. if you have not audition the HD800, do so and preferably side by side to the 009, so you really know the extent to which one compares to the other.
Of course! I live in Rhode Island...I can't really try those other than buying and returning if I could. Unless I can find a Massachusetts or New York meet, I don't see it happening. I am having issues with the LCD-2 even though I love them. Doing lots of reading.
I think this depends on the person and mood.
Advertisement for ?
My problem with the hd800, is when I listen to music, while doing something else at same time.
There's is something on your hd800, that is gathering all your attention, I figured out it was the stereo separation.
I didn't have that problem with my previous headphone, I could put them, and "just forget the music" in background.
With the hd800, it's almost impossible to listen music while doing something else.
I did too and still do. I was just pointing out a tool/tweak that some users can use if they so choose. That's part of the fun of the hobby. Not implying that it's somehow not good without it.
Ahh, my mistake. I didn't realize you were referring to that...Carry on
I hear ya. But I have noticed that there seems to be a renewed hype around the HD800. I agree with hype. I love these headphones and loved them from day one. Just saying that hte seame thing could be happening as happned to LCD
That doesn't appear to be an ad. The guy posted the tweak months ago without mention of any site and he lives in a different country altogether.
- The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
- › New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and... 40 seconds ago
- › Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call) 1 minute ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX50 + cwm recovery Latest Update: 2014-09-15 1 minute ago
- › Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens -trailer- 3 minutes ago
- › Post pic(s) of your latest "significant" purchase(s)!!! v2.0 4 minutes ago
- › Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704) 5 minutes ago
- › Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Impressions thread 5 minutes ago
- › Cardas cable vs. HD600 stock cable 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Should I return Philips X2 ($300) and keep HD 598 ($100) 6 minutes ago
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H3 by pete4sound
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Peter Pinna
- › Ultrasone PRO 750 by Peter Pinna
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by yialanliu
- › KEF M200 Hi-Fi In-Ear Headphones, Aluminum/Black by 10shot9miss
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by Arturoo123
- › Apple iPod Earphones Headphones for iPod Nano, Touch & Classic by GoldenGuy66
- › Shure SE215 by damianmb
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Willy 2 Streams
- › Final Audio Design Adagio III by mark2410
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)