Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 819

post #12271 of 13872

Don't let the ohmage fool you.  300ohms yes, but the sensitivity is 102dB/V, it's quite easy to drive since it's high impedance because the voltage will drop to the 800 even with lots of output impedance of the source.

 

I think generally, people look at ohmage in the 100's and think wow it a big value. HE-6 is only 50ohms, and needs considerable current because it's not so sensitive.  


Edited by SilverEars - 7/20/14 at 4:21pm
post #12272 of 13872
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

I plugged my HD800's straight into my iPad this morning (via Grado 1/4" to 1/8" adapter) and thoroughly enjoyed some Nickel Creek streaming from Spotify at 320 Kbps. No external DAC or amplifier needed. biggrin.gif

 

I've been digging NC for several months. Have not had the pleasure of spinning them up with the 800s...yet. 

post #12273 of 13872
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptic View Post

I really wish anax had followed through on releasing a uniform commercial version of the mod, as was discussed elsewhere a year or so back. With various iterations and so many different materials being used by different listeners, it is hard to gage whether there is a target curve or curves that the mod should be aiming for. For example, mrspeakers doggy treats provide a consistent and successive series of steps to use in tuning ADs that most people appear to prefer to stock, at least using a dot or two on the baffle to smooth treble. Mrspeakers now ships new units with dots in place. I wonder if we wouldn't find the same sort of result if there was a cheap, consistent, mass produced hd800 tuning kit.

Someone could do a 3d printed version that would hold whatever material. It could be 3d scanned and then design onto the 3d scan then 3d print. Ther
post #12274 of 13872

So I finally decided to go with the Benchmark DAC1-USB, all I have left to do is just to wait for the arrival of my Norne balanced cable and I will be one truly happy HD800 user :D 

 


Edited by 62ohm - 7/20/14 at 9:29pm
post #12275 of 13872

Holy Sennheiser! Listening to Rush -Tom Sawyer, The Big Money etc on the Crack+800. Huge soundstage with the deepest low end that I have yet heard with this combo. As an aside, I now have three tube amps/hybrids in my office just for the 800 - the Crack, the Lyr and the ZD. 

post #12276 of 13872
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62ohm View Post

So I finally decided to go with the Benchmark DAC1-USB, all I have left to do is just to wait for the arrival of my Norne balanced cable and I will be one truly happy HD800 user biggrin.gif  


Congrats!
I'm considering getting a used Benchmark DAC1 and use it as a DAC/amp since i cant afford an aditional amp, could you please tell me how is the sound with the HD800 plugged in to the The DAC1?
Thanks.
post #12277 of 13872

I have a Chord Hugo, would that be enough for HD800? I don't like big headphone amps (no space in bedroom) so will just use that.

post #12278 of 13872
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

I plugged my HD800's straight into my iPad this morning (via Grado 1/4" to 1/8" adapter) and thoroughly enjoyed some Nickel Creek streaming from Spotify at 320 Kbps. No external DAC or amplifier needed. biggrin.gif
You are busting a huge myth ^_^
post #12279 of 13872
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62ohm View Post
 

So I finally decided to go with the Benchmark DAC1-USB, all I have left to do is just to wait for the arrival of my Norne balanced cable and I will be one truly happy HD800 user :D 

 

Very nice....I have been tossing the idea around of going balanced.....just not sure yet.

 

Anyway.....nice set-up

post #12280 of 13872
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearljam50000 View Post

You are busting a huge myth ^_^

It sounds fine (detailed, etc) you just don't get the dynamic contrast.
post #12281 of 13872
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearljam50000 View Post
 
I'm considering getting a used Benchmark DAC1 and use it as a DAC/amp since i cant afford an aditional amp, could you please tell me how is the sound with the HD800 plugged in to the The DAC1?

 

Honestly I don't think it's a bad pairing at all. I didn't do an extensive comparison but compared to the (SE-out) HDVA600, soundstage is cramped and quite upfront, makes the presentation of the HD800 a bit in-your-face like a Grado. The mids is a bit harsh and grainy, and even though its instrument separation is actually quite decent, because the soundstage is very small I find it hard to focus on specific instrument. Though keep in mind that it leans more towards the bright side. YMMV, but IMO for a dac/amp combo, especially for the price I got it for ($800 USD new - USB version), it's a good deal. 

 

To put it in a context, if I need to travel out of town for an extended period of time and I want to bring small piece of gear with me, I'd happily bring only the DAC1 (and a laptop of course) to drive the HD800.

 

 

edit: forgot to mention, the DAC1 does sound a bit dry and thin though.


Edited by 62ohm - 7/21/14 at 4:59am
post #12282 of 13872
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidyen View Post
 

I have a Chord Hugo, would that be enough for HD800? I don't like big headphone amps (no space in bedroom) so will just use that.

 

I'm finding that the Hugo drives the HD800's surprisingly well.  It sounds good!

post #12283 of 13872
Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post
 

Holy Sennheiser! Listening to Rush -Tom Sawyer, The Big Money etc on the Crack+800. Huge soundstage with the deepest low end that I have yet heard with this combo. As an aside, I now have three tube amps/hybrids in my office just for the 800 - the Crack, the Lyr and the ZD. 

 

I don't have the same setup but I agree with you - just about everything on "Moving Pictures" sounds great with the HD800's, maybe with the exception of "Red Barchetta".

 

I've had the Crack since Christmas (a gift) but haven't found the time to put it together yet.  I only seem to hear good things about it though.

post #12284 of 13872

I just bought : The Essential Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble 2cd set....that has been digitally remastered from the original material....I do not like all remasters....but this is just kick ***** good on the HD800.

 

I highly recommend this if you are a fan of SRV  :smile:

post #12285 of 13872
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind View Post
 

I just bought : The Essential Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble 2cd set....that has been digitally remastered from the original material....I do not like all remasters....but this is just kick ***** good on the HD800.

 

I highly recommend this if you are a fan of SRV  :smile:

 

I picked up the same set about a month ago!  It's great!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread