Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 81

post #1201 of 19176

I just returned from a week-long business trip and got right back to my HD800's and D7000's. My receiver most definitely sounds muddy compared to the Objective2 I'm borrowing, but I have an observation I can't explain that I hope someone can provide insight about.

 

On the O2, the Denons play louder than the Senns with the volume control fixed. On my receiver, its the other way around.

 

The only thing I can think of is it's a "current vs. voltage" thing.

post #1202 of 19176
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWahl View Post

That's why I'm looking at a used Nuwave or Gungnir right now to pair with it.  Yulong D18 could be another option but I'm afraid it might be too warm considering I already have a warmish amp.  Better question I suppose (and to stay on topic) is which would better compliment the qualities of the HD800?  It seems the Nuwave might have the edge on detail but the Gungnir on naturalness.  

 

 

Very cool... would love to hear your impressions of a Concero -> NuWave. Shame I didn't think to try that myself...

post #1203 of 19176

Welcome to the world of high output impedance.  You can think of it as a voltage divider.  And in the case of D7000 v HD800 that output impedance is going to eat a lot of the voltage intended for the D7000.

post #1204 of 19176

Perfect, thank you! That explains a lot and seems like a good test that confirms my suspicions. smile.gif

 

I have no idea what the output impedance is and I've been wondering for a long while now. Schematic of the receiver doesn't indicate what resistors are used and two e-mails to Carver have gone unanswered.

post #1205 of 19176

Typically 120ohm+.  Seen some older amps with headphone jacks with 600ohm+ output impedance :O

post #1206 of 19176
I remember reading somewhere that 120 Ohms was an industry "standard" at one time. I have a pair of 70's vintage Pioneer headphones that proudly proclaim on the earcups that they are 8 Ohm. The drivers in those headphones look just like a clock radio or cheap car stereo paper cone speaker.

Why would anyone design an 8 Ohm headphone intended for a 120 Ohm output?

Interesting that the D7000 is much lower impedance than the HD 800 yet it's sound is audibly much less affected by my receivers headphone output.
Edited by palmfish - 3/23/13 at 4:44pm
post #1207 of 19176

Headphones are an after thought today, nevermind then.  Many just ran speaker taps to the front, resistor in series, and go ;)

post #1208 of 19176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

If the MSRP is the street price... no.  PWD2 with a street price nearer to $2500 to your door, lately with the bridge, is damn hard to beat for the money.  The PWD2 just walked all over the AP2 fed Octave which was already slightly better than the W4S DAC-2.

 

HD800 related... PWD2 w/ GS-X mk2 is a beast of a rig.  I'd put money down there are LCD-3 fans that would call the combo too bassy :O

And my A-B with the PWD2 and W4S DAC-2 was technically on par (really hard to tell this actually) with a preference for the cleaner sounding (less warmish) DAC-2. :)

 

If it was the other way around, I'd have gladly stepped up and bought the PS Audio DAC for $2500 and a re-enforced rack to hold the monster!


Edited by MacedonianHero - 3/23/13 at 5:30pm
post #1209 of 19176

I didn't much like the W4S DAC-2 when I was out DAC hunting.  I found it to be little to much on the bright side for me.  None the less still a great DAC and gives up nothing to other DACs in it's price range.  

post #1210 of 19176
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

I didn't much like the W4S DAC-2 when I was out DAC hunting.  I found it to be little to much on the bright side for me.  None the less still a great DAC and gives up nothing to other DACs in it's price range.  

Too funny. I guess we each got the right DAC for what we were looking for. smily_headphones1.gif
post #1211 of 19176
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post


Too funny. I guess we each got the right DAC for what we were looking for. smily_headphones1.gif

 

Almost sound like Duck hunting  biggrin.gif

post #1212 of 19176
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

I remember reading somewhere that 120 Ohms was an industry "standard" at one time. I have a pair of 70's vintage Pioneer headphones that proudly proclaim on the earcups that they are 8 Ohm. The drivers in those headphones look just like a clock radio or cheap car stereo paper cone speaker.

Why would anyone design an 8 Ohm headphone intended for a 120 Ohm output?

Interesting that the D7000 is much lower impedance than the HD 800 yet it's sound is audibly much less affected by my receivers headphone output.


if you want to learn more about how higher amplifier output impedances interact with headphones and why higher output impedance can be a good thing in certain situations, or if you just want to tailor your sound, this is an easy read: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?82kf0r5kdckdcer

post #1213 of 19176
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishski13 View Post


if you want to learn more about how higher amplifier output impedances interact with headphones and why higher output impedance can be a good thing in certain situations, or if you just want to tailor your sound, this is an easy read: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?82kf0r5kdckdcer


Very good article. Thanks for the link!

post #1214 of 19176
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

I didn't much like the W4S DAC-2 when I was out DAC hunting.  I found it to be little to much on the bright side for me.  None the less still a great DAC and gives up nothing to other DACs in it's price range.  

I am always fascinated by everyones personal perspective. I do not find the W4S bright. I love it with the HD800's. Truly this hobby is always interesting.

post #1215 of 19176
It's really good to see the love for the HD800 from those who previously threw it aside for the LCD-Xs. tongue.gif I have owned 2 LCD-2s and still want to give them a go but every single time I have them, I end up feeling unhappy with them for various reasons. I struggle to justify paying so much for the LCD-3. I have no real qualms with the HD800 and like so many of you, have hunted around for the perfect rig.

Keep on listening fellas smily_headphones1.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread