or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 779

post #11671 of 24278
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

I'm thinking of upgrading my dac specifically for the 800. I currently have the bifrost uber running over optical. I'm considering the Matrx X Sabre. Any thoughts?
Love the pairing. Only other DAC I will try is the Yggdrasil, merely out of respect for Mike Moffat.
post #11672 of 24278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post
 

 

Not the LCD-2. The LCD-3 balanced, yes. I had to keep turning down the volume because of the treble. I'd describe it as a high end, refined and polished Emotiva Mini-x but still sharing it's aggressiveness. Although with D2000 on single ended was very pleasing. When I switched the BDA-2 to Arcam D33, the BHA-1 became much more enjoyable. There was also another Naim gear tried it with and that also sounded as nice and was in the middle of those two.

 

It was a very tight, fast combo to listen though - excellent imaging. Just a tad too aggressive and didn't win me over. I've met few people that also said they didn't like the BHA-1 due to it's aggressiveness - some even at the latest Toronto meet.

 

Yeah to me the BHA-1 and the HD800 were a no go..  Maybe it was the BDA-2.  Peter seems to like it very much.  

post #11673 of 24278
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

Three reasons come to mind first off I say best porible. This implies it is. As some consider it the best at everything and I am leaving out desktop home systems.
Next is I have say I have better dacs. And I do but the contention goes back to the best ever again.
And lastly it's pitched a little high and a little bright . Now put the two together it's a little thin and makes voices and instruments we know well sound a little off. This is also true but not to the holier than though hugo fan boys. So I am the black son all hates but must put up with too. As we are all family with the hugo. Lamo. Hope ypu can understand my points

 

I get it, i see some stu*k up people there.  Don't you have Lampizator Big 7 ? that's pretty good to have and certainly better than Hugo :)

You should do side by side review :) Lamp vs Chord Hugo. :)

 

For me portable is limited, can;t really compete with the full size. (American way lol, - from canadian) 

post #11674 of 24278
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Yeah to me the BHA-1 and the HD800 were a no go..  Maybe it was the BDA-2.  Peter seems to like it very much.  

Ditto. BDA2+BHA1 is also a no go for me with any of the lcd3, hd800, or hd6. It just sound dry and flat (as in lifeless). And I also think the BDA2 is the culprit here as I had heard M7+bha1 with hd800 and quite like it. Guess may be I just not liking the very monitor type of sound. But still the bryston stack is to me much more bearable than the O2+odac, which I find overly harsh and bright with anything maybe besides the lcd2.
Edited by kkcc - 7/4/14 at 10:37am
post #11675 of 24278
I do have the lampi B7 and these people still. Will,not back off so I do not say it anymore. It's hugo is the greatest thread there and rob watts cured cancer or some other incurable disease. .
Al
post #11676 of 24278
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

 

Yeah to me the BHA-1 and the HD800 were a no go..  Maybe it was the BDA-2.  Peter seems to like it very much.  

Yeah unfortunately I could try the BDA-2 with other amps. The place I auditioned it, the rack was built in a way making it nearly impossible to remove the BDA-2 from the chain. BHA-1, BDA-2, BDP-2, a Bryston power supply along with a PS Audio Powerplant. I'm not sure which gear was the culprit when I auditioned it. I tried literally the exact counterpart with NAD (amps, power amps, integrated power amps, DACs, power supply, digital media player). All the NAD gear I tried come to be more neutral. Very nice with Luxman, PrimaLuna and EAR combos.

 

Also, BDA-2 I tried it with it on the native mode. The up sampling was a turn off to me and the dealers as well. Too much smoothed over sound. Who knows.:D

post #11677 of 24278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

Yeah unfortunately I could try the BDA-2 with other amps. The place I auditioned it, the rack was built in a way making it nearly impossible to remove the BDA-2 from the chain. BHA-1, BDA-2, BDP-2, a Bryston power supply along with a PS Audio Powerplant. I'm not sure which gear was the culprit when I auditioned it. I tried literally the exact counterpart with NAD (amps, power amps, integrated power amps, DACs, power supply, digital media player). All the NAD gear I tried come to be more neutral. Very nice with Luxman, PrimaLuna and EAR combos.

Also, BDA-2 I tried it with it on the native mode. The up sampling was a turn off to me and the dealers as well. Too much smoothed over sound. Who knows.biggrin.gif

What IS all,this bda stuff the only BADA STUFF I KNOW IS BADABING
AL
post #11678 of 24278
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post


Ditto. BDA2+BHA1 is also a no go for me with any of the lcd3, hd800, or hd6. It just sound dry and flat (as in lifeless). And I also think the BDA2 is the culprit here as I had heard M7+bha1 with hd800 and quite like it. Guess may be I just not liking the very monitor type of sound. But still the bryston stack is to me much more bearable than the O2+odac, which I find overly harsh and bright with anything maybe besides the lcd2.

+1.

 

The BHA-1 and BDA-2 was mostly neutral with slight aggressiveness, but the main thing that put me off was that it took out the life out of the music. Other studio gear I've tried the HD800 with were neutral and musical at the same time. I really wish I had more knowledge in electrical engineering and could measure and conduct my experiments to explain.

post #11679 of 24278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post
 

+1.

 

The BHA-1 and BDA-2 was mostly neutral with slight aggressiveness, but the main thing that put me off was that it took out the life out of the music. Other studio gear I've tried the HD800 with were neutral and musical at the same time. I really wish I had more knowledge in electrical engineering and could measure and conduct my experiments to explain.

i once read that studio gear has high output impedance on headphone outputs. maybe its the high output impedance thats causing a change in the damping factor and therefore changing the sound to your taste? just a thought.

post #11680 of 24278
Quote:
Originally Posted by James-uk View Post
 

i once read that studio gear has high output impedance on headphone outputs. maybe its the high output impedance thats causing a change in the damping factor and therefore changing the sound to your taste? just a thought.

Hmmm, maybe. Although on the DM Source, I have driven low impedance Denon's and Shure IEMs to 300 ohm HD800 and 600 ohm Beyer's. Only for T1, did I find the DM Source to not be a good match. Up to the HD800, it was quite effective.

 

I checked the manual, there's no numbers directly on the headphone output, only on the other outputs. I usually do check for how much power they can output and impedance output for impedance mismatch, but after hearing all the main headphones sound good, I kinda forgot. I guess I could ask the guys at DM for the numbers.

post #11681 of 24278

Hey guys I am moving from high-fi gear (I had a HD800) to mid-fi and was wondering what you thought about the HD700 in comparison to the HD800. So far I am using an AKG K701 in the mean time, to satisfy my needs, but the headband doesn't sit right with me =(. Would like some opinions on the HD700 sound signature and is $475 for it a good deal?!


Edited by qqexpress - 7/4/14 at 12:08pm
post #11682 of 24278

The HD800 are high impedance so they really should be powered by high impedance amps. But even this is a very grey area. Grey, because impedance variances can make dramatic differences to the sound and therefore can become almost like a EQ when using different amps of varying impedance. I suspect that the Sennheiser amp is matched perfectly (haven't heard) but one designers perfect is not always going to be anothers.. 

 

I've personally found that very powerful high impedance amps work best with 300 ohm cans. 

post #11683 of 24278
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post
 

The HD800 are high impedance so they really should be powered by high impedance amps. But even this is a very grey area. Grey, because impedance variances can make dramatic differences to the sound and therefore can become almost like a EQ when using different amps of varying impedance. I suspect that the Sennheiser amp is matched perfectly (haven't heard) but one designers perfect is not always going to be anothers.. 

 

I've personally found that very powerful high impedance amps work best with 300 ohm cans. 

I believe output impedance has less dependant for high impedance loads.  I think the output impedance is looked into because of it's affect on the 
FR of the load(the headphones).  For audio signals, which is much lower than RF signals, possibly impedance value has a good affect for small loads such as iems, but not so for larger loads, and with the large loads the frequency variations of the output impedance can be ignored.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  I will ask in the science forum, it seems like a great question.

 

Since RF signals are so high, there is a model for the resistor.  Notice the resistor starts have inductance and capacitance as it gets up to high frequencies, but for audio signal this model is generally ignored.

 

enter image description here 


Edited by SilverEars - 7/4/14 at 12:26pm
post #11684 of 24278
Output imp only matters if there is two factors involved. One is a cross over if so it great effects the sound . Next is if the imp is such that not enough power can be given to properly drive the headphone.
Al
post #11685 of 24278
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

Output imp only matters if there is two factors involved. One is a cross over if so it great effects the sound . Next is if the imp is such that not enough power can be given to properly drive the headphone.
Al

yes, that too.  The cross over is affected because the cross over consists of impedance which filters the signal to send to the respective drivers.  If you change the value by adding the output impedance, that filter will change.  Also filters have phase response.  Just look up filter and phase, and you will see it's not linear phase.

 

Next, if you have high output impedance of a phone, that impedance will dissipate energy, which means the load(headphones) will not get as much power as if there was no output impedance.  


Edited by SilverEars - 7/4/14 at 12:36pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread