or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 745

post #11161 of 24343
It's
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post


yeah, i know what you mean. i picked up the he-500 around the same time i got my hd800...and after listening to the hd800, i couldn't listen to the he500 anymore. not that they're bad headphones at all...in fact, i like the midrange on the he500 more than the hd800. but the hd800 is so much better in every other area.  the only other headphone i listen to without any "sourness" is my d7000. i think they're fantastic, even with the hd800 in the stable. i have a pair of th900 coming in this week...we'll see how they compare.
It's true. I can't wait to test out the LCD's by AUDEZE or even the tesla 1's by BD. I'm sure they give the senns a good run for their money, but probably not for overall dynamics. HD 800's are the best cans at recreating a live soundstage. wink.gif
post #11162 of 24343
I use the
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyVee View Post


I use the v-moda crossfades lp 80's for traveling around via subway. Great mid range and bass but that is it! They have 54mm drivers in them as well. Biggest in their class. smily_headphones1.gif
Falling asleep? Ear buds are the way to go. That way you can lie on your side as well. smily_headphones1.gif. One day I'd love to get a pair of the latest SHURE offerings. 1000$ earbuds! Wow.
post #11163 of 24343
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearljam50000 View Post
 

I'm thinking of buying a used pair, but, it will be of a lower serial number(1.5 years old), and since so many claim newer serial numbers sound much better, i'm not so sure about that anymore! Can anyone help me decide?

I don't know where you are getting this but it has been stated many times that there is no difference except for normal manufacturing variation. My pair are a little over a year old and they sound exactly the same as the new ones in the dealers showroom when I audition equipment. Several trusted members have owned more than one pair over time and said their is little to no difference.

post #11164 of 24343

Ive been on the road a lot the past 6 weeks and spending most of my head-time listening to spotify from my iPad with my Grado SR60i. It is a really good-sounding setup that I have been enjoying very much - to the point that I started thinking I might not need anything more. I started thinking about maybe leaving the head-fi fold and selling my HD 800, BH Crack, and Asus E1.

 

Well, I got home yesterday and today decided to spend some time with my HD 800. I even listened back-to-back with my Grado's to hear what I might be missing if I decide to sell... and I came to the conclusion that I cannot part with my HD 800. They just sound so good - there is simply no comparison with the Grado's (or any other headphone for that matter).

 

It's easy to forget when you've been away for a while but they are just so good. I have been using my Pioneer AVR as a headphone amp for a while and it serves me well thanks to the tone controls (I add 6 dB of treble boost to compensate for my hearing loss). I may still sell the Crack and Essence One but I haven't decided yet because the Crack looks so pretty with that big CBS Hytron tube -  I might keep it just for decoration!

 

post #11165 of 24343
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post


yeah, i know what you mean. i picked up the he-500 around the same time i got my hd800...and after listening to the hd800, i couldn't listen to the he500 anymore. not that they're bad headphones at all...in fact, i like the midrange on the he500 more than the hd800. but the hd800 is so much better in every other area.  the only other headphone i listen to without any "sourness" is my d7000. i think they're fantastic, even with the hd800 in the stable. i have a pair of th900 coming in this week...we'll see how they compare.

+1 , after the hd800 I'm about to sell the he500 and a few more of the other headphones I currently have. For me, I didn't understand the big deal with the weight and comfort with the he500 until I have the hd800. It's a big difference in comfort wise. I'm planning to only keep the hd598 as my travel/quick headphones that I don't have to be careful with. I can't wait until I get my upgrade amp to replace the lyr to further improve on it.
post #11166 of 24343
So awesome. Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

Ive been on the road a lot the past 6 weeks and spending most of my head-time listening to spotify from my iPad with my Grado SR60i. It is a really good-sounding setup that I have been enjoying very much - to the point that I started thinking I might not need anything more. I started thinking about maybe leaving the head-fi fold and selling my HD 800, BH Crack, and Asus E1.

Well, I got home yesterday and today decided to spend some time with my HD 800. I even listened back-to-back with my Grado's to hear what I might be missing if I decide to sell... and I came to the conclusion that I cannot part with my HD 800. They just sound so good - there is simply no comparison with the Grado's (or any other headphone for that matter).

It's easy to forget when you've been away for a while but they are just so good. I have been using my Pioneer AVR as a headphone amp for a while and it serves me well thanks to the tone controls (I add 6 dB of treble boost to compensate for my hearing loss). I may still sell the Crack and Essence One but I haven't decided yet because the Crack looks so pretty with that big CBS Hytron tube -  I might keep it just for decoration!



So awesome. Love to hear that the senns have had a long lasting impression on you. Yeah? How could you part with such a beast? Don't sell them! wink.gif
Also. Love the picture of the warm tube amp. I am really excited cause I've decided to purchase the WOO AUDIO WA6E warm tube amp. I cannot wait to hear that sheer warm analog sound paired with my ARCAM DAC and HD 800's of course. I will not have to upgrade for a very long time. smily_headphones1.gif
post #11167 of 24343
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post
 

 

 

yeah, i know what you mean. i picked up the he-500 around the same time i got my hd800...and after listening to the hd800, i couldn't listen to the he500 anymore. not that they're bad headphones at all...in fact, i like the midrange on the he500 more than the hd800. but the hd800 is so much better in every other area.  the only other headphone i listen to without any "sourness" is my d7000. i think they're fantastic, even with the hd800 in the stable. i have a pair of th900 coming in this week...we'll see how they compare.

The TH900's really give the HD800's a run for their money, good luck!

post #11168 of 24343
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearljam50000 View Post

How is the HD800 with Metal?

They work great with metal. I listen to metal 90% of the time and these cans never fail. I pair it with the Little Dot Mk3 otl amp running some 6sn7 as power tubes and some voshkod 6ZH1-P/6hm5 as driver tubes. Strong and punchy bass. Not a sibilant moment unless the recording is as such.
Edited by Rossliew - 6/8/14 at 6:44am
post #11169 of 24343
That's nice to hear.
What's even nicer is that you are using them with a 300$ amp, because from i read here there's no point having the HD800 without a 1000$ amp and 1000$ DAC.
post #11170 of 24343
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post


yeah, i know what you mean. i picked up the he-500 around the same time i got my hd800...and after listening to the hd800, i couldn't listen to the he500 anymore. not that they're bad headphones at all...in fact, i like the midrange on the he500 more than the hd800. but the hd800 is so much better in every other area.  the only other headphone i listen to without any "sourness" is my d7000. i think they're fantastic, even with the hd800 in the stable. i have a pair of th900 coming in this week...we'll see how they compare.

Between th900 and hd800, Th900 gets most of my ear time. smily_headphones1.gif
post #11171 of 24343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post

Between th900 and hd800, Th900 gets most of my ear time. smily_headphones1.gif

I'm the other way around :-)
I sold th900 since hardly using it anymore.
Too many hours spend on hd800...
post #11172 of 24343
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgraha View Post

I'm the other way around :-)
I sold th900 since hardly using it anymore.
Too many hours spend on hd800...


I still love hd800. Both are perfect for me. wink.gif
post #11173 of 24343
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearljam50000 View Post

That's nice to hear.
What's even nicer is that you are using them with a 300$ amp, because from i read here there's no point having the HD800 without a 1000$ amp and 1000$ DAC.

 

Don't really know where the $1000 DAC or AMP myth came from.  Yes, HD800 scale well with better upstream components, but no it doesn't NEED them to sound good.

 

For DAC / Solid state amp you get ample choices from Audio-gd, and tube from Little Dot that will let you enjoy HD800 for a long time.

post #11174 of 24343
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post
 

 

Don't really know where the $1000 DAC or AMP myth came from.  Yes, HD800 scale well with better upstream components, but no it doesn't NEED them to sound good.

 

For DAC / Solid state amp you get ample choices from Audio-gd, and tube from Little Dot that will let you enjoy HD800 for a long time.

Agreed but as with all hobbies, there is that insatiable lust to upgrade as curiosity usually gets the better of us. It all boils down to individual choice and listening requirements. For me, the $300 amp is more than sufficient but if money permits, i would gladly plonk down the dough for a Liquid Glass/Gold or a DNA Stratus or something equally exotic. 

post #11175 of 24343

+1 for me a 2 years old Audio gd nfb2 + Bottlehead crack with speedball is running the HD800 beautifully the DAC Amp combo cost me $700

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post
 

 

Don't really know where the $1000 DAC or AMP myth came from.  Yes, HD800 scale well with better upstream components, but no it doesn't NEED them to sound good.

 

For DAC / Solid state amp you get ample choices from Audio-gd, and tube from Little Dot that will let you enjoy HD800 for a long time.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread