or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 730

post #10936 of 24297

I find that the HD800 at high volume has tendency to be harsh


Edited by Hun7er - 5/29/14 at 12:10am
post #10937 of 24297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liminal View Post
 

I've had my HD800s for almost two weeks, and they're terrific. I am driving them with a Woo Audio WA7 desktop amp. 

 

One thing I've noticed is that I now prefer to listen at a lower volume. Previously I listened to the same amp with a pair of HD555s (modded for better soundstage & bass) and the volume dial was at 12 o'clock. When I first got my HD800s I was also listening at the same level. I found there to be much greater sound leakage from the new cans, and the overall volume to be higher. Gradually I found that the perfect setting is for the dial to be at 9 o'clock. I can hear much better detail and separation between mids and trebles, etc.

 

Has anyone else noticed the same thing? Is there a particular reason why high-end headphones might sound "better" (subjectively) at lower volumes than higher volumes? (I am new to the site so this might have been discussed somewhere else, apologies if so.)


My experience is that in most low or mid fi HP's you need to turn up the volume in order to hear the minute details on a track & even then some will be lost. But with TOTL HP's because of the high resolving capability of their drivers you get all the deatils even at low volume so you need not pump up the volume. Unless you are a bass head like me , sometimes you just want the bass pounding into your brain. :D

post #10938 of 24297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liminal View Post

 

Gradually I found that the perfect setting is for the dial to be at 9 o'clock. I can hear much better detail and separation between mids and trebles, etc.

 

Has anyone else noticed the same thing? Is there a particular reason why high-end headphones might sound "better" (subjectively) at lower volumes than higher volumes? (I am new to the site so this might have been discussed somewhere else, apologies if so.)

 

High SPL (sound pressure level) stresses ears more, and results in ear fatigue sooner, but it has little to do with HD800, or any true high end headphone, i think. 

Some headphones or even amplifiers produce high distortion at high SPLs, limiting dynamics, and melting sounds together. Think of typical car audio. 

HD800 distortion level at 100dB is under 1%, which is very loud and very clear. 

Although they have a bit excessive treble energy, which at higher SPLs might be more irritating to some.

 

Usually 'subjectively better' is the other way around --> louder sounds better. This is because of  the ear 

sensitivity changes to hear low and high frequencies better. 

Nevertheless, i find the HD800 to be as enjoyable at low levels as high levels. 


Edited by Priidik - 5/29/14 at 1:06am
post #10939 of 24297
Quote:
Originally Posted by punit View Post


My experience is that in most low or mid fi HP's you need to turn up the volume in order to hear the minute details on a track & even then some will be lost. But with TOTL HP's because of the high resolving capability of their drivers you get all the deatils even at low volume so you need not pump up the volume. Unless you are a bass head like me , sometimes you just want the bass pounding into your brain. biggrin.gif
absolutely agree! I find I am turning the volume down more the better my rig gets... But there's a time for blurring your vision with epic bass. wink.gif
post #10940 of 24297
I feel the same .
Al
post #10941 of 24297
What speakers sound the closest to the HD800?
post #10942 of 24297
Wel I will give a really good answer that will start a really big bashing and debate .. And most likely a moderator showing up as well hahaha. Not because of me though.

The short answer is no speakers atleast not any good one.
Why cause speakers are top dog in ways no headphone Can handle. Even though the same is true with a hd800 headphone.
The high achy is as follows iem,s CIEMS, headphones , speakers.
The rule to follow is what gives the most detail in a real sounding way. Only speakers do this simply because that is the way we hear music or any sound for that matter.
Go in a forest a listen to the wind it's all around you not in your head. .
Now next is kind of surround sound. Again only speakers give you the staging and ambience of the recording. Some will say headphones do they do not at all. Headphones are completely fake in any representation of the sounds we hear at a live or personnel venue . Take any recoding and play it on headphones and then speakers it will sound very diffident . Music recorded up close is ok with speakers but not so good with headphones. So a dac with an Up close presentation is not as good a s dac with a little laid back .
The only type of headphone getting the speaker type sound is a planar like the he6. .even the lcd3 with EQ gets close but the he6 is top dog a this.
Speakers give you a complete sound all around you not in your head. Ok there you have it.
Al
Edited by ALRAINBOW - 5/29/14 at 6:05am
post #10943 of 24297

Other than dimensional presentation, I find that my Martin Logan's provide similar tonality and detail.  On the Martin Logan Owners site, whenever there is talk about headphones, which is rare, pretty much only the HD800 come up and that's paired with a tube amp.

post #10944 of 24297
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

Wel I will give a really good answer that will start a really big bashing and debate .. And most likely a moderator showing up as well hahaha. Not because of me though.

The short answer is no speakers atleast not any good one.
Why cause speakers are top dog in ways no headphone Can handle. Even though the same is true with a hd800 headphone.
The high achy is as follows iem,s CIEMS, headphones , speakers.
The rule to follow is what gives the most detail in a real sounding way. Only speakers do this simply because that is the way we hear music or any sound for that matter.
Go in a forest a listen to the wind it's all around you not in your head. .
Now next is kind of surround sound. Again only speakers give you the staging and ambience of the recording. Some will say headphones do they do not at all. Headphones are completely fake in any representation of the sounds we hear at a live or personnel venue . Take any recoding and play it on headphones and then speakers it will sound very diffident . Music recorded up close is ok with speakers but not so good with headphones. So a dac with an Up close presentation is not as good a s dac with a little laid back .
The only type of headphone getting the speaker type sound is a planar like the he6. .even the lcd3 with EQ gets close but the he6 is top dog a this.
Speakers give you a complete sound all around you not in your head. Ok there you have it.
Al

That is assuming that the way we hear sound naturally is actual better or more enjoyable. 

 

I think it is - others might not agree


Edited by magiccabbage - 5/29/14 at 7:16am
post #10945 of 24297
That us a very giid speaker but an electro static type.
Very detailed and fast. But they do image much better than any headphone.
I have twinsets of infinity speakers they two produce sound front and back
So a simaler sound but a little thicker note.
Play social club track 5 and 6 with the hd800
Then with your Logan's. There is no comparison
The recordings sound very real on speakers not on headphones.
They is almost no ambience with headphones.
What ligans donu have summit ??
post #10946 of 24297
This a good discussion and I think your point is valid.
But we must have some basis as to how they are compared
Al
post #10947 of 24297

Vista's with a Grotto i sub.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

What ligans donu have summit ??
post #10948 of 24297
What Logan's do you have ? Summit is model
Al
post #10949 of 24297

LOL, insider speak combined with AL's encryption :D

post #10950 of 24297
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

This a good discussion and I think your point is valid.
But we must have some basis as to how they are compared
Al

One other thing that might not get mentioned is how people react differently depending on the rig they started with. 

 

I am only really familiar with high end headphone rigs and not many speaker ones. It is possible that you are biased depending on the rig you grew up with. 

 

If you started with speakers you will always compare your headphones to them and if you started with headphones (like me) then you will compare speakers to those. 

 

Now I will accept that top tear Speaker Rigs are better than top tear headphone rigs but of the vast majority of whats out there up to the 15000 dollars price range; I would go for Headphone rigs. At least that is my opinion at the moment ( which could change in the future). 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread