or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 73

post #1081 of 24299
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

Miles trumpet can be a "Beast"    O  did I mention the pair I heard was modded?  blink.gif

 

Yeah, I think that track will be one of my test tracks going forward.   I mean I know the trumpet there is meant to be piercing, for emotional effect, and listened to on the right headphones/speakers it's heart wrenching.  FWIW, the HD800 handles it superbly. 

post #1082 of 24299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post


When a new iPad is put on sale it stays at the same price (more or less) until the new version is put on sale a year later. This is no different than what you describe. However, with audio, it is more likely that the HD800 would continue to be made, and sell for the same price even after a successor is released because unlike an iPad, which has concrete specs that show objective AND subjective improvement each time, headphones are hard to quantify both objectively and especially subjectively. The chances of someone enjoying a HD800 successor more than the HD800 are 50/50.

Looking at the HD700, which was clearly not meant to be an HD800 successor, but does show where Sennheiser's research took them after they had finished the HD800, doesn't lend any insight that an HD800 successor would actually improve upon the old guard.

Very true and I agree with you on the HD700. However I am the part of the iPad generation and I don't want to be the last guy who buys HD800 before the HD900 comes out. The first thing people like me would do is look at specifications, graphs and those marketing PR buzz words. I get your point regarding the quantitative improvements and that its different when it comes to Audio. 

post #1083 of 24299
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigy626 View Post

Very true and I agree with you on the HD700. However I am the part of the iPad generation and I don't want to be the last guy who buys HD800 before the HD900 comes out. The first thing people like me would do is look at specifications, graphs and those marketing PR buzz words. I get your point regarding the quantitative improvements and that its different when it comes to Audio. 

 

No need to worry... There is no technically better dynamic headphone available on the market for the last 4 years (!) and Sennheiser currently raised the price of HD800 in Europe due to very high demand. Buy the headphone as well as I did few weeks ago, you won't regret the decision.

 

By the way, I guess the next Senns' flagship will be of electrostatic nature... And I am personally not interested (too expensive, not many great affordable amps to choose from). Another reason (in my view) why to go for it.


Edited by RustA - 3/19/13 at 2:42pm
post #1084 of 24299

What would your guys' recommendation be for a Amp+Dac (separate, or all in one, both fine) for the HD800  with a $1000 budget.

post #1085 of 24299
Resonessence Concero ($600) -> Matrix M-Stage HPA-1 ($260) = $860 + ship

I'd probably go for the HPA-1 w/USB for $30 more to have an extra DAC just because.

What this does is gives you a very high quality DAC that can also eventually be used as a convertor if needed and an amp that synergizes well with the HD800 and doesn't cost much so you won't lose much on it when you eventually upgrade from it. (and it is (both are actually) small enough to convert to a bedside/office rig if you upgrade past them)
Edited by Maxvla - 3/19/13 at 4:26pm
post #1086 of 24299

Schiit BiFrost and Burson Soloist SL.  Whatever you do if budget limited... buy used.

post #1087 of 24299

For those without budget constraints...

 

I just finished my B22 v GS-X mk2 A/B and it was a landslide win for the GS-X mk2.  Keeping it short and sweet it brings the LCD-3 liquid presentation and weight without losing anything the HD800 also wipes the floor with against the LCD-3.  Pure win :D

 

Should add, that's single ended :O

post #1088 of 24299

Just got the Hd800 today. S/N 208xx but I haven't put them on yet. Burn in time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

For those without budget constraints...

 

I just finished my B22 v GS-X mk2 A/B and it was a landslide win for the GS-X mk2.  Keeping it short and sweet it brings the LCD-3 liquid presentation and weight without losing anything the HD800 also wipes the floor with against the LCD-3.  Pure win :D

 

Should add, that's single ended :O

post #1089 of 24299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls Generation View Post

Just got the Hd800 today. S/N 208xx but I haven't put them on yet. Burn in time!

Always slackin'. Hurry up!

post #1090 of 24299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls Generation View Post

Just got the Hd800 today. S/N 208xx but I haven't put them on yet. Burn in time!
Why not listen to them???
post #1091 of 24299

Welcome to the club! Nice that you got that new SN > 20000. Please share your FR graph (register in Sennheiser) and also share your impressions later against other headphones as well as previous HD 800 if you have any experience.

post #1092 of 24299

I was just scared of what I'll find. And also getting used to some tracks with the LCD3. :)

 

So far, out of box 0 hours, pretty sibilant. S hurts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post


Why not listen to them???
post #1093 of 24299
The transition from no treble to treble will be difficult.
post #1094 of 24299

Well... treble vs. SSSTTT is a whole different animal imo. LCD3 sounds so muffled in comparison, but bass quantity seems on par but LCD3 has a slower decay. HD800 wins in bass impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

The transition from no treble to treble will be difficult.
post #1095 of 24299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

The transition from no treble to treble will be difficult.---
 
\

but its so worth it. Like Solude says, HD 800 wipes the floor with LCD3. with the right front end and GSX, I bet the HD800 is the closest thing to SR009 rig. WIth lesser electrostatic amp (i,e NOT BHSE) I think it may beat out the Stax. This is from memory of meet experiences so I could be off but I dont think so,

 

Anyway, CONGRATS!


Edited by Cante Ista - 3/20/13 at 2:51am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread