or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 719

post #10771 of 24299

What does "one note"  mean? i'm french so I'm not familiar with this expression and I can't understand its signification :o

post #10772 of 24299
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearljam50000 View Post

Link to the review i mentioned before:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparing-world-class-headphones-0

I quote:

"Bass Texture - Good texture and extension. Slightly "one note" sounding relative to the planar magnetic cans.

Bass Slam - Dynamics are good on these, but the slightly one-note sound and lack of bass extension has these falling a bit short relative to the planar magnetics"

 

I don't really know how anyone can say the HD800's lack bass extension and as for 'one note' bass well I don't get that either.

 

Seem to be a strength of the HD800's to me.

 

Just goes to show you can't rely on a single review or opinion.


Edited by nigeljames - 5/23/14 at 5:42pm
post #10773 of 24299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrodje View Post
 

What does "one note"  mean? i'm french so I'm not familiar with this expression and I can't understand its signification :o

 

Not good distinction/definition between, for instance, 50 hz, 100 hz, 150 hz and 200.  They sound the same, like "one note".

post #10774 of 24299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eee Pee View Post
 

 

Not good distinction/definition between, for instance, 50 hz, 100 hz, 150 hz and 200.  They sound the same, like "one note".

 

Thanks. :beerchug:

post #10775 of 24299
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossliew View Post

 
Sounds good with the Lyr but I personally find it's sound better optimized with an OTL amp.

I have waffled back and forth about buying the hd800 like a high school girl trying to decide which outfit to wear. redface.gif   I think my biggest reservation has been the "brightness" that seems to bother some. 

I have the lyr and BHC, both with some nice tubes. I'm not able to spend additional money to make my chain any better, so I suppose that I just have to pull the trigger and give it a go. 

I waited far too long to try the HD800 because of all the talk about bright, harsh, fatiguing, analytical, etc. I threw all of that out the window within the first 10 seconds. In my opinion, they sound incredibly natural, transparent and are a perfect fit for me. And my previous favorite cans were the 650s so that may tell you something.
post #10776 of 24299
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiojam View Post

I waited far too long to try the HD800 because of all the talk about bright, harsh, fatiguing, analytical, etc. I threw all of that out the window within the first 10 seconds. In my opinion, they sound incredibly natural, transparent and are a perfect fit for me. And my previous favorite cans were the 650s so that may tell you something.

Well it depends when you purchased hd800.
I know anything below 19xxx has hash trebles.

My 2nd one is 26xxx I think
post #10777 of 24299
????!!
post #10778 of 24299
Just me tho. wink.gif
post #10779 of 24299

My budget is 500$ for dac\amp and it should last me a few years before i can upgrade, so i have to choose carefuly.

Has anyone tried the Emotiva Stealth DC-1 and can report on the sound with HD800? i'm open to other options too!

Sorry for asking again, it's just i didn't get alot of answers the last time i asked. thanks!:)

post #10780 of 24299

I was looking at headphone stands for the HD800 and the only thing that I liked was the Klutz headphone stand, which goes for $500 :(. The Room zebrano stands matched my LCD-3 perfectly. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a similar perfect match for HD800 by Room.

post #10781 of 24299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post
 

I was looking at headphone stands for the HD800 and the only thing that I liked was the Klutz headphone stand, which goes for $500 :(. The Room zebrano stands matched my LCD-3 perfectly. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a similar perfect match for HD800 by Room.

I think they are horrible 

post #10782 of 24299
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearljam50000 View Post
 

My budget is 500$ for dac\amp and it should last me a few years before i can upgrade, so i have to choose carefuly.

Has anyone tried the Emotiva Stealth DC-1 and can report on the sound with HD800? i'm open to other options too!

Sorry for asking again, it's just i didn't get alot of answers the last time i asked. thanks!:)

I've done my readings on the DC-1 and based on the reports out there, the built in headphone amp won't do it justice. I'd seriously consider the DM Source, if you can find it used. On the DC-1 thread, someone had the DC-1 and later switched to Source and found a big difference in headphone capabilities. I can also vouch for how well the HD800's sound off the Source. The HD800 on Source beat a bunch of HE-400, HE-500, HE-6, LCD-2, LCD-3, T1, setups i've auditioned and owned.

 

…but yeah, the DC-1 probably won't cut it. Hopefully someone can you provide you a cheaper combo that also works nicely with the HD800.

post #10783 of 24299
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post
 

I think they are horrible 

Room or Klutz?

post #10784 of 24299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post
 

Room or Klutz?

klutz, room's are nice

 

 

i love these ones ¬ 

 


Edited by magiccabbage - 5/23/14 at 5:08pm
post #10785 of 24299

This is what I had with my LCD-3:

 

 *

 

I was looking at something like this for the HD800:

 

 

I just couldn't find something I liked with the HD800 from Room or Omega.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread