or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 712

post #10666 of 24348

First time I've heard "ANYONE" call Justin amps (GS-X mk2) ugly.  To me the GS-X mk2 and the BHSE are gorgeous works of art.  


Edited by preproman - 5/20/14 at 11:26am
post #10667 of 24348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post
 

I guess there is no perfect amp/dac..

 

I really try to like the following amps/dac but little thing doesn't make me to pull the trigger..

 

HDVD800 - no DSD, at $2000 should have one

HDVD600 - no USB input

GS-X mk2 - Ugly (no offense but just ugly)

Burson - Had hum issue, the volume knob comes out easily

Hugo Chord - pricey for me and that color code makes it look like a toy, and weird volume knob

 

I guess I am too picky,,

 

The HDVA600 doesn't have a USB input because it's an amp only. No DAC.

post #10668 of 24348
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

First time I've heard "ANYONE" call Jasons amps (GS-X mk2) ugly.  To me the GS-X mk2 and the BHSE are gorgeous works of art.  

were you referring to me??? I meant the hugo. The GSX and BHSE are gorgeous!

 

and this is coming form a guy with a degree in fine art 

post #10669 of 24348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post
 

I guess there is no perfect amp/dac..

 

I really try to like the following amps/dac but little thing doesn't make me to pull the trigger..

 

HDVD800 - no DSD, at $2000 should have one

HDVD600 - no USB input

GS-X mk2 - Ugly (no offense but just ugly)

Burson - Had hum issue, the volume knob comes out easily

Hugo Chord - pricey for me and that color code makes it look like a toy, and weird volume knob

 

I guess I am too picky,,

What do you mean by no usb input. I thought the HDVD 600 was just an amp.

post #10670 of 24348
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLed View Post

What do you mean by no usb input. I thought the HDVD 600 was just an amp.

Ya I am aware of that, so 600 and 800 have the same tech spec beside the dac?
post #10671 of 24348
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

First time I've heard "ANYONE" call Jasons amps (GS-X mk2) ugly.  To me the GS-X mk2 and the BHSE are gorgeous works of art.  

 

Got to see and hear this amp at the Atlanta mini meet. Sounds beautiful, looks beautiful. Wonderful pairing with the hd800. 

post #10672 of 24348
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post

were you referring to me??? I meant the hugo. The GSX and BHSE are gorgeous!

and this is coming form a guy with a degree in fine art 

No not you. It's me redface.gif
I am the first guy said that gsmk2 is ugly.

Maybe because I don't have a degree in art. tongue.gif
post #10673 of 24348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post


Ya I am aware of that, so 600 and 800 have the same tech spec beside the dac?

Im wondering the same thing. By the price it seems as if it would be. Very curious about this. I've seen people praising the HDVD 800 for some time now and would love to try out the amp. 

post #10674 of 24348
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLed View Post
 

Im wondering the same thing. By the price it seems as if it would be. Very curious about this. I've seen people praising the HDVD 800 for some time now and would love to try out the amp. 

 

Everywhere I've read, people have claimed the amps are the same in both models..whether it's true or not I have no idea.

post #10675 of 24348
as i am most likely confused , the question was for an amp . also the hdvd800 does dsd.as wel as pcm
i said the hdvd600 .
al
Edited by ALRAINBOW - 5/20/14 at 10:19am
post #10676 of 24348
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

as i am most likely confused , the question was for an amp . also the hdvd800 does dsd.as wel as pcm
i said the hdvd600 .
al


I am confused just in that amp area.
I read that 600 is better vice versa.

I am going to do some study on these two amps.
post #10677 of 24348
also why are people saying the amps are different . i asked sennhieser about this and they responded its the same amp in both. we need to get off this as the more people repeat this the more people read it and get confused with hear say.

as for the quality i have tried a bunch of amps and there is no best but the amp is very good and changes as the music does not having a sound of its own. this transparency is why i love it
al
post #10678 of 24348
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantana View Post
 

I find the HD800 sounding brilliant from the Hugo but I've never tried desktop amps for my headphones before.  How much improvement can I expect if I feed the Hugo to a desktop amp?

Mileage will vary depending on the amp, but IMO one should be looking at amps $2K+, more likely $3K+ TOTL amps to justify qualifiable improvements, otherwise, I feel it's just a side step.

post #10679 of 24348
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantana View Post
 

I find the HD800 sounding brilliant from the Hugo but I've never tried desktop amps for my headphones before.  How much improvement can I expect if I feed the Hugo to a desktop amp?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by holeout View Post
 

Mileage will vary depending on the amp, but IMO one should be looking at amps $2K+, more likely $3K+ TOTL amps to justify qualifiable improvements, otherwise, I feel it's just a side step.

 

I've only had the Hugo a few days but there was a noticeable improvement when I fed it through my ALO Pan Am (a lot less than $2k). This was with both HD 800's and LCD-3's.

post #10680 of 24348

I'd recommend the violectric v200.

 

Can be picked up quite cheap on the second hand market these days.

 

It doesn't have the biggest soundstage compared to some top-of-the-line amps, but the tonality and overall synergy with the HD800 i excellent.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread