or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 706

post #10576 of 24301
Quote:
Originally Posted by punit View Post


Amongst the ones I have heard - T1

Thanks for the reply. I have auditioned a T1 before and for some reason they sounded very similar to the DT880 600ohm to my ears... Lol
post #10577 of 24301

All the AKG 700 models have pretty big soundstage, unfortunately they don't have that much else IMHO. Good for classical/jazz though.

post #10578 of 24301
a little food for thought as all headphones only show a little soundstage and nothing like speakers . why look for sound stage and not great detail and timbre of music ?
al
post #10579 of 24301
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMax99 View Post

Which headphone has the next best soundstage after the hd800?

 

The MDR-F1 has a soundstage that bests the HD800.   The AKG K702 and the MDR-MA900 have a soundstage that is almost as good as the HD800s.

post #10580 of 24301
Hey HD800 owners, I need your help:

I currently have the HD650 with the HeadRoom Amp/DAC combo unit. I'd ultimately like to have the HD800 with similar caliber, balanced amp and DAC.

Since I can't do it all at once, which order should I upgrade? I'm thinking I should start with DAC then amp then HD800, since the HD650 scales nicely and the 800s are notoriously picky.

For what it's worth I'm ultimately thinking something like Gungnir + Ragnarok or HDVA600.

Thanks!
post #10581 of 24301
I am getting lynx hilo for now. Then bakoon wink.gif
post #10582 of 24301
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchandler3 View Post

Hey HD800 owners, I need your help:

I currently have the HD650 with the HeadRoom Amp/DAC combo unit. I'd ultimately like to have the HD800 with similar caliber, balanced amp and DAC.

Since I can't do it all at once, which order should I upgrade? I'm thinking I should start with DAC then amp then HD800, since the HD650 scales nicely and the 800s are notoriously picky.

For what it's worth I'm ultimately thinking something like Gungnir + Ragnarok or HDVA600.

Thanks!

 

Maybe you can provide some more feedback on what kind of sound you want to achieve. I have both HD650 and HD800 and I like both a lot but they are very different. Have you heard the HD800? What do you want to improve in your HD650 rig? What music do you listen to etc.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post

I am getting lynx hilo for now. Then bakoon wink.gif

 

Oh... bakoon is very sexy. Well not the looks, but the tech is.

post #10583 of 24301
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoEars View Post
 

 

Maybe you can provide some more feedback on what kind of sound you want to achieve. I have both HD650 and HD800 and I like both a lot but they are very different. Have you heard the HD800? What do you want to improve in your HD650 rig? What music do you listen to etc.

 

Thanks for the quick response. Ultimately I'd like to have both the 650 and 800 for different purposes. I adore the 650's warm, lush tone and laid-back presentation, but I often wish I had more analytical detail and energy. The 800's soundstage would be great, too. Basically the 650 for rock and electronic, and the 800 for classical, acoustic and jazz. Or just choose the headphone for the mood. 

 

Like I said, I know the 650 scales nicely (I've experienced it first-hand), and so I know upping the source and amp will be enjoyable along the way. My only concern about getting the 800 first is (A) getting no immediate improvement with the 650 and (B) bottlenecking the 800.

 

Is my thinking in-line?

post #10584 of 24301

Alright, here's what I would do.

 

I would actually get the HD800's right away. You will be bottlenecking them, that's for sure. But they will still retain a lot of their flavor and the combo you have now is actually pretty good. You will also be in a better position to judge what kind of DAC/AMP you want to get for them.

 

After that I would actually get an inexpensive tube amp. Many people who start out thinking that they want to drive the HD800 with solid state end up going to tubes.... after a lot of money and trial and error. The Bottlehead Crack + Speedball is fantastic for the HD800 and will cost you next to nothing. You will get a fantastic combo in HD800 + crack amp.

 

After that I would upgrade the DAC with something really nice.

 

And finally if grow tired of the crack + speedball amp (which you very well may not) you can upgrade to a something more expensive.

 

That's what I would do. I'm sure there are a million other ways to do it. :rolleyes: 

post #10585 of 24301
Two ears has nailed it for you.
I beleave in getting the headphones
Then amp
Then DAC.
The headphones are an endgame in headphones
Next a good proven amp. Weather tubes it not.
Last us a the DAC. And also think used on an amp and DAC
People move up and good used is still good
In my home I have the hd800
The hdvd 800
And a few dacs M7 , krell connect and just in the ps audio
Direct stream.
All of them are really good in pairing
With the headphone and amp.
Al
post #10586 of 24301
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvergun View Post

The MDR-F1 has a soundstage that bests the HD800.   The AKG K702 and the MDR-MA900 have a soundstage that is almost as good as the HD800s.

Even better than the hd800? Wow! Are they easy to buy?
post #10587 of 24301
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchandler3 View Post
 

 

Thanks for the quick response. Ultimately I'd like to have both the 650 and 800 for different purposes. I adore the 650's warm, lush tone and laid-back presentation, but I often wish I had more analytical detail and energy. The 800's soundstage would be great, too. Basically the 650 for rock and electronic, and the 800 for classical, acoustic and jazz. Or just choose the headphone for the mood. 

 

Like I said, I know the 650 scales nicely (I've experienced it first-hand), and so I know upping the source and amp will be enjoyable along the way. My only concern about getting the 800 first is (A) getting no immediate improvement with the 650 and (B) bottlenecking the 800.

 

Is my thinking in-line?

My 2 cents here : )

 

I have the HD600 and HD800 (used to have a 650) and using a Little Dot Mk 3 to drive them both although with the 800, i don't spend anymore time with the 600. DAC is the modest Schiit Modi. To these ears, the HD800 sounds awesome with all genres I listen to - metal, rock, classical, pop, electronic, etc..it can be the one headphone to rule all. And the LD is very versatile with tube rolling which makes it fun to tweak your sound for different moods and different tunes. All in, a relatively inexpensive combo (that is until you start rolling some seriously expensive NOS tubes).

post #10588 of 24301
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMax99 View Post


Even better than the hd800? Wow! Are they easy to buy?

 

Judging a headphone by soundstage alone is like judging women by their cup size.

 

It can be quite captivating, but after a while you realize that there are other parts that actually matter.

post #10589 of 24301
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoEars View Post

Judging a headphone by soundstage alone is like judging women by their cup size.

It can be quite captivating, but after a while you realize that there are other parts that actually matter.

I'm NOT judging.. Just prefer the soundstage and the vocals atm.. That's why I'm trying to find out which phones have good ssoundstage.

You can NEVER judge a head phone Anyways.. Since almost every one of them will sound different and people have DIFERENT tastes wink.gif

Talking about the analogy of a woman.. Some people prefers the cup size, some people prefers the face, and some people might prefer the rear end size.. So... All about personal preference... Plus... Probably be hard to find a PERFECT woman.. Lol
Edited by DMax99 - 5/15/14 at 8:22am
post #10590 of 24301

Thanks for the input, guys! Let the financial plotting commence... :evil:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread