- 3,735 Posts. Joined 10/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
It was spelt right the first time.
I think you guys are going insane.
To further explain my point (wrt to entry level source/amp with HD800), I'd take the HD800 Vali/Fiio X5 or Vali/Dragonfly 1.2 combo over anything that I've owned before including the HE500 or HD700 with the Bifrost/Lyr. YMMV :)
To use the often quoted line. The HD800 scales really well. At the $1800 price point, I wrote that the HE-500 + the right electronics might be my preference. That's because I think $300 for DAC and amp *might* hold the HD800 back enough that significantly better DAC/Amp might let the HE-500 catch up.
Treble may refer to:
Here are a couple of combo's i've used/heard and liked:
- Schiit Bifrost (if you can live without USB) & Schiit Vali
- Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2 & Schiit Vali
- Can substitue Bottlhead Crack or M-Stage
- or look for a killer deal on a PS Audio DLIII for the DAC
Let us know what you end up with.
If you could stretch your budget and find a used Dangerous Music Source. You're easily getting a 2k+ (M51, BDA-2) DAC performance in there and it drives the HD800 very well. Killer with monitors as well.
You probably won't find one used, but if you do, I'd jump on it.