or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 694

post #10396 of 24297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post

Ya that's the only thing that doesn't make th900 a perfect can.

I miss my d7000 wink.gif
Funny you mention that. I've been very tempted to pick up the th900...but from everything I've read, it seems so close to the d7000 that it's hard to justify spending $700 more than what I got my d7000 for. And that's for a used th900 pair

I'll hold off on the th900 for now and try to make nice nice with these he-500 that I just can't seem to love yet. Maybe I never will...but I have to try. I don't think my hd800 does anything to help...it makes everything else seem so congested, which is the main issue i have with the he-500
post #10397 of 24297
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post

Funny you mention that. I've been very tempted to pick up the th900...but from everything I've read, it seems so close to the d7000 that it's hard to justify spending $700 more than what I got my d7000 for. And that's for a used th900 pair

I'll hold off on the th900 for now and try to make nice nice with these he-500 that I just can't seem to love yet. Maybe I never will...but I have to try. I don't think my hd800 does anything to help...it makes everything else seem so congested, which is the main issue i have with the he-500

I bought my th900 around $1470.
Now you can pick up for $1100 at sonic.

D7000 had better mids, bit lighter.
TH900 bass is at a different level imo.

If I were you I will keep d7000 smily_headphones1.gif
post #10398 of 24297
Yeah, I'll keep the d7000. I really like them. It's what I listen to 80% of the time. Just thinking about doing some of the Lawton mods myself...maybe add the dampening material.
post #10399 of 24297
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post


Funny you mention that. I've been very tempted to pick up the th900...but from everything I've read, it seems so close to the d7000 that it's hard to justify spending $700 more than what I got my d7000 for. And that's for a used th900 pair

I'll hold off on the th900 for now and try to make nice nice with these he-500 that I just can't seem to love yet. Maybe I never will...but I have to try. I don't think my hd800 does anything to help...it makes everything else seem so congested, which is the main issue i have with the he-500

 

I basically reached the same conclusion.

 

I was contemplating picking up a pair of TH900's so I started researching and looking at people's opinions. And just like you're saying the general consensus seemed to be that they are very similar to the D7000.

 

Now - I like the D7000's. They are fun and engaging and with a satisfying bass. But I also now that for me the HD800's makes the D7000 feel distinctly mid-fi in comparision.

 

And then there was the price of course, I think maybe it's not a bad idea to pick up a pair of D7000's if you want to. They are a bit of a cult headphone and will probably keep their value.

 

So then I basically said well... you know instead of buying a TH900 I could get a nice pair of D7000's for half that, wow am I clever. :p

 

But hang on.... :blink:

 

I don't particularly want a pair of D7000's... they are nice. A good pair of headphones... but I know they would be dust collectors in my home. And that was the end of that. :(

 

I also took some hints from this tread since I very much agree with some of the assessments: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

 

I think maybe if I had a pair of D7000's I probably wouldn't sell them. But I'm not going to go out and buy a pair just to have.

 

Now - what we really need is for Sony to make a R-10 replacement. That'd be cool.


Edited by TwoEars - 5/7/14 at 12:41pm
post #10400 of 24297
The same here , when we go beyond mid fi how to go back. Even when we listen to lesser headphones our brains adjust and it sounds good . But then we think what we are missing and it's all gone .
Al
post #10401 of 24297
While not "perfect" (whatever that means), the d7000 is indeed a way more "fun" headphone to listen to, which is why I have them on my head a majority of the time. They're great when I watch movies on the computer, TV, a lot of genres of music...sure, the hd800 have soundstage and detail, but they're not exactly what I define as "fun". I think they're great, no doubt, but they're not everyday cans for me.

Seems like the th900 have all that workmanship stuff going on. They sure are pretty...but maybe one day an offer I can't resist will come up and I'll pick up a pair. For now, my d7000/hd800/woody sr225/he-500 combo makes me very happy.
post #10402 of 24297
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post

While not "perfect" (whatever that means), the d7000 is indeed a way more "fun" headphone to listen to, which is why I have them on my head a majority of the time. They're great when I watch movies on the computer, TV, a lot of genres of music...sure, the hd800 have soundstage and detail, but they're not exactly what I define as "fun". I think they're great, no doubt, but they're not everyday cans for me.

Seems like the th900 have all that workmanship stuff going on. They sure are pretty...but maybe one day an offer I can't resist will come up and I'll pick up a pair. For now, my d7000/hd800/woody sr225/he-500 combo makes me very happy.

 

Don't get me wrong, I do like the D7000's as well. And I understand perfectly what you're saying with the D7000 being the more fun and easy-go-along headphone for everyday use. It's a matter of taste and nothing more.

 

Out of curiosity, what are you using to drive your D7000 and HD800's with? The Yulong A28?

 

What's the verdict on that one compared to some of the other amps that you have or have had?

post #10403 of 24297
Fun= less accurate
post #10404 of 24297
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearljam50000 View Post

Fun= less accurate

Now how did you come to that conclusion?

post #10405 of 24297
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearljam50000 View Post

Fun= less accurate


Sometimes in life you just gotta have fun. When I listen to HD 800 I close my eyes & loose myself in music. With TH 900 I get up & Dance.:L3000:

post #10406 of 24297

I've come to notice that source and recording quality playa much higher factor in hi-fi listening then the headphone themselves. Just my observation but I could be wrong. 

post #10407 of 24297
Quote:
Originally Posted by punit View Post
 


Sometimes in life you just gotta have fun. When I listen to HD 800 I close my eyes & loose myself in music. With TH 900 I get up & Dance.:L3000:

 

I agree, I don't think I can dance on classical music with HD800. 

With TH900 playing various music, from pop, dance, techno, rock, alternative etc, I can surely dance :)  but I am not a good dancer :(

post #10408 of 24297

Just get both guys, HD800 and TH900 :) = end game.

post #10409 of 24297

I much prefer HD800 + Ultrasone Signature pro . :tongue_smile:

post #10410 of 24297
I prefer and have the HD800 and the LCD-3 smily_headphones1.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread