Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 685

post #10261 of 12317
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoEars View Post
 

 

Have you heard the HD650? They are detailed and 100% non-fatiguing, not sure if the meridian will be able to power them properly.

 

Actually... let me check.... I have both... :D 

 

 

EDIT: Oh yes, that will definitely work. Very impressive PRAT, drive and bass definition for such a puny device! Sounds great! Get the HD650, you should definitely like those with the Meridian Explorer!

 

Many people like HD 650 and 600 with just Explorer, apparently it can drive them well. I haven't heard the HD 650 but HD 800 seems so cool, and people say it sounds amazing so they kind of seemed like the king of all headphones to me. :) I'd better take the Meridian Explorer with me, go to the Sennheiser dealer and try both of them. Thanks for the recommendation.

post #10262 of 12317
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidyen View Post
 

I hate harsh treble, my ears are very sensitive. I'm going to be using Meridian Explorer as dac/amp. It's known as a smooth, liquid sounding, warm dac/amp. My favourite headphones are Sennheiser Momentums and Sennheiser IE800. I also have AKG Q 701 but I don't like them much, it sounds really harsh after 30 minutes. Do you think Sennheiser HD800 would be good for my tastes? I like Sennheiser sound more than others. You know that detailed, also somewhat laid back and a bit dark sound. I want detail but I don't want to hurt my ears for it. I'm not going to buy a new amp, Meridian Explorer's headphone out sounds great to me. Would you recommend HD 800?

I share your sensitivity and have unloaded several HP's with irritating, harsh treble (Grado 325, Koss 950).  I did not expect to like the 800's given the general reviews here BUT they are now my favorite.  Yes, they are detailed but never harsh.  I find them the most natural sounding of several high end phones such as Audeze (LCD-3/LCD-X).  They are the most comfortable phones I own and I can wear them for long listening sessions without fatigue and, of course, they sound holographic compared to all others. Match them well with the proper DAC and amp and you will be very pleased.  

post #10263 of 12317
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidyen View Post
 

I hate harsh treble, my ears are very sensitive. I'm going to be using Meridian Explorer as dac/amp. It's known as a smooth, liquid sounding, warm dac/amp. My favourite headphones are Sennheiser Momentums and Sennheiser IE800. I also have AKG Q 701 but I don't like them much, it sounds really harsh after 30 minutes. Do you think Sennheiser HD800 would be good for my tastes? I like Sennheiser sound more than others. You know that detailed, also somewhat laid back and a bit dark sound. I want detail but I don't want to hurt my ears for it. I'm not going to buy a new amp, Meridian Explorer's headphone out sounds great to me. Would you recommend HD 800?

 

I haven't used my Explorer in a while - your question prompted me to dust it off and try it with the HD800's.  It does remarkably well - certainly drives them to ear bleeding volumes.  I'm not sure the combination will give you a laid back and dark sound that you're looking for though.  The mellowness of the Meridian sound didn't counter the bright detailed sound of the HD800's to the degree that I expected.

post #10264 of 12317
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrondaniel View Post
 

 

I haven't used my Explorer in a while - your question prompted me to dust it off and try it with the HD800's.  It does remarkably well - certainly drives them to ear bleeding volumes.  I'm not sure the combination will give you a laid back and dark sound that you're looking for though.  The mellowness of the Meridian sound didn't counter the bright detailed sound of the HD800's to the degree that I expected.


I bought the Explorer because people said it was musical and non-clinical. I don't think it's that warm. It has a very crisp, clean analog/vinyl-like sound that is non-fatiguing but that doesn't mean it's not neutral. People mistake neutral with dry, analytical studio monitoring sound. Unless you're a mastering engineer, that's not the ideal way to listen to music. The Explorer actually sounds very real. When you listen to classical music, jazz etc. live, nothing sounds dry or clinical. Everything sounds lively and heartwarming.

 

By ear bleeding volumes, do you mean the sound gets really loud or that the treble/sound becomes harsh and unlistenable?

 

I'm not necessarily looking for a dark sound. For instance, IE800 are very easy to listen to. They're extremely revealing but they're also such a pleasure for my ears. They're not that dark, a bit warm perhaps. But smooth, liquid, lively sound would be good.

post #10265 of 12317
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidyen View Post
 


I bought the Explorer because people said it was musical and non-clinical. I don't think it's that warm. It has a very crisp, clean analog/vinyl-like sound that is non-fatiguing but that doesn't mean it's not neutral. People mistake neutral with dry, analytical studio monitoring sound. Unless you're a mastering engineer, that's not the ideal way to listen to music. The Explorer actually sounds very real. When you listen to classical music, jazz etc. live, nothing sounds dry or clinical. Everything sounds lively and heartwarming.

 

By ear bleeding volumes, do you mean the sound gets really loud or that the treble/sound becomes harsh and unlistenable?

 

I'm not necessarily looking for a dark sound. For instance, IE800 are very easy to listen to. They're extremely revealing but they're also such a pleasure for my ears. They're not that dark, a bit warm perhaps. But smooth, liquid, lively sound would be good.

 

By "ear bleeding volumes", I simply mean that it get's loud.  Certainly not harsh or unlistenable.  The smooth, liquid, lively sound that you describe still applies I think.

post #10266 of 12317
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrondaniel View Post
 

 

By "ear bleeding volumes", I simply mean that it get's loud.  Certainly not harsh or unlistenable.  The smooth, liquid, lively sound that you describe still applies I think.


Thanks, I guess HD800 is the one for me. Cause I don't want very dark, muddy sound either. I'll try them soon. It'll be quite an investment but at least I won't regret paying for them the way I do for Q701s. Cheap but bad.

 

Some people say HD800s were slightly changed by Sennheiser, removing any harsh treble and also increasing bass quantity... Is that true? Does a 2010 HD800 sound different to an 2014 one?

post #10267 of 12317
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidyen View Post


Thanks, I guess HD800 is the one for me. Cause I don't want very dark, muddy sound either. I'll try them soon. It'll be quite an investment but at least I won't regret paying for them the way I do for Q701s. Cheap but bad.

Some people say HD800s were slightly changed by Sennheiser, removing any harsh treble and also increasing bass quantity... Is that true? Does a 2010 HD800 sound different to an 2014 one?

I had 2 hd800 earlier one eith 19xxx serial and didn't like it that much. Now my new hd800 with 24xxx has better bass and smooth trebles.

People say it hasn't changed so I can be wrong. But I like the newer one better wink.gif
post #10268 of 12317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post


I had 2 hd800 earlier one eith 19xxx serial and didn't like it that much. Now my new hd800 with 24xxx has better bass and smooth trebles.

People say it hasn't changed so I can be wrong. But I like the newer one better wink.gif


Hmm... I'm sure they must have changed something then. HD 650 sound changed over the years.

post #10269 of 12317
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidyen View Post
 


I bought the Explorer because people said it was musical and non-clinical. I don't think it's that warm. It has a very crisp, clean analog/vinyl-like sound that is non-fatiguing but that doesn't mean it's not neutral. People mistake neutral with dry, analytical studio monitoring sound. Unless you're a mastering engineer, that's not the ideal way to listen to music. The Explorer actually sounds very real. When you listen to classical music, jazz etc. live, nothing sounds dry or clinical. Everything sounds lively and heartwarming.

 

By ear bleeding volumes, do you mean the sound gets really loud or that the treble/sound becomes harsh and unlistenable?

 

I'm not necessarily looking for a dark sound. For instance, IE800 are very easy to listen to. They're extremely revealing but they're also such a pleasure for my ears. They're not that dark, a bit warm perhaps. But smooth, liquid, lively sound would be good.

Are you saying that neutral, like in a studio, isn't the ideal way to listen to music?

post #10270 of 12317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidyen View Post


Thanks, I guess HD800 is the one for me. Cause I don't want very dark, muddy sound either. I'll try them soon. It'll be quite an investment but at least I won't regret paying for them the way I do for Q701s. Cheap but bad.

Some people say HD800s were slightly changed by Sennheiser, removing any harsh treble and also increasing bass quantity... Is that true? Does a 2010 HD800 sound different to an 2014 one?

I had 2 hd800 earlier one eith 19xxx serial and didn't like it that much. Now my new hd800 with 24xxx has better bass and smooth trebles.

People say it hasn't changed so I can be wrong. But I like the newer one better wink.gif

As I stated, my pair of HD800's are detailed yet smooth with very neutral and strong bass.  Serial number 28xxx.  If they changed the tone I cannot say but the phones are  literally "holographic" to my ears.  Couple them with a nice Woo amp (any well regarded tube amp) and possibly a softer DAC (Grace 903 but a detailed DAC such as a Benchmark works too) and you have a fine match.

post #10271 of 12317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post
 

Are you saying that neutral, like in a studio, isn't the ideal way to listen to music?

 

Neutral as in dry sound which mastering engineers listen to in order to make the music sound good on speakers, headphones is not the ideal way to listen to music, not to me. It might be the ideal way to do mastering. It's not musical. I know many people here like that sound. I don't. Head-fiers may not care about hi-fi setups but I have an alright hi-fi setup in my living room, Hegel H80 amplifier, Hegel CDP4A cd player, KEF R500 speakers. This is good stuff and they sound amazingly musical. KEF R series has amazing bass but also clear treble, superb mids. No, nothing sounds dry. It's neutral and musical. Not neutral and dry.

 

These are only my thoughts. I know more about hi-fi than headphones. But it seems lots of headphone enthusiasts prefer dry sound thinking it's magical. I disagree.

post #10272 of 12317

I very much like my HD800's. It's my #1 headphone and I've owned or tried pretty much everything except Stax.

 

But I will be realistic and say that the HD800 probably isn't for you. All things considered the HD800 is on the dry and holographic side of things.

 

If you want smooth and organic best look at HD600/650, LCD-2/3/X or Hifiman HE-500/HE-6.

post #10273 of 12317
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoEars View Post

I very much like my HD800's. It's my #1 headphone and I've owned or tried pretty much everything except Stax.

But I will be realistic and say that the HD800 probably isn't for you. All things considered the HD800 is on the dry and holographic side of things.

If you want smooth and organic best look at HD600/650, LCD-2/3/X or Hifiman HE-500/HE-6.
I agree , I'm listening to HD600s now and they sound wonderful!
post #10274 of 12317
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoEars View Post
 

I very much like my HD800's. It's my #1 headphone and I've owned or tried pretty much everything except Stax.

 

But I will be realistic and say that the HD800 probably isn't for you. All things considered the HD800 is on the dry and holographic side of things.

 

If you want smooth and organic best look at HD600/650, LCD-2/3/X or Hifiman HE-500/HE-6.

Excellent advice!

post #10275 of 12317
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoEars View Post
 

I very much like my HD800's. It's my #1 headphone and I've owned or tried pretty much everything except Stax.

 

But I will be realistic and say that the HD800 probably isn't for you. All things considered the HD800 is on the dry and holographic side of things.

 

If you want smooth and organic best look at HD600/650, LCD-2/3/X or Hifiman HE-500/HE-6.

i have the hd800 and love them for various recordings. but for fun and every-day listening, i still love my d7000. i had the alpha dogs and while they were good, they didn't come close to the d7000, IMO. one person's opinion, of course. i'm trying to get used to my he-500, too, but find that it's great with female vocals, but so far it sounds a bit narrow/compressed to me. need more time with them. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread