Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread - Page 46

post #676 of 10101

Low cost amp and dac... Schiit BiFrost and Asgard 2 or Lyr.

 

On the idea that people shouldn't roll amps or dacs to tune a headphone and instead just buy the right headphone... wouldn't that be nice.  Top shelf headphones can be counted on one hand.  And they are wildly different.  If you like the HD800 but wish it had a bit more fullness, changing to the fuller LCD-3 would only result in landing in a place where things are overly full, resolution has been decimated and staging is all but non existent.  And vice versa, an LCD-3 owner wanting a touch more resolution or more treble presence would find the HD800 completely top tilted lacking any lacking that thick liquid sound they like.  There just aren't enough options to tune at the headphone level.  Probably why a butt ton of headphone users like tubes.  You can swing a headphone drastically with tube swaps that act like an EQ without messing with phase or bit resolution.

post #677 of 10101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

Low cost amp and dac... Schiit BiFrost and Asgard 2 or Lyr.

 

On the idea that people shouldn't roll amps or dacs to tune a headphone and instead just buy the right headphone... wouldn't that be nice.  Top shelf headphones can be counted on one hand.  And they are wildly different.  If you like the HD800 but wish it had a bit more fullness, changing to the fuller LCD-3 would only result in landing in a place where things are overly full, resolution has been decimated and staging is all but non existent.  And vice versa, an LCD-3 owner wanting a touch more resolution or more treble presence would find the HD800 completely top tilted lacking any lacking that thick liquid sound they like.  There just aren't enough options to tune at the headphone level.  Probably why a butt ton of headphone users like tubes.  You can swing a headphone drastically with tube swaps that act like an EQ without messing with phase or bit resolution.

 

Bifrost and Asgard 2 over O2/ODAC? No, thanks... Not enough inputs/outputs, no better performance. I need something that is good enough to justify its price.

 

O2/ODAC is 300USD. I am expecting the 1000USD to offer me ALL I am looking for - versatility (inputs/outputs, at least 24/192 PCM over USB), better performance, look.


Edited by RustA - 3/7/13 at 1:41pm
post #678 of 10101
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustA View Post

 

Rly? Have a look: http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB-10.1/NFB10.1EN.htm

 

It looks very cheap to me, that's all. I am not going to spend 600 USD on some generic black box with cheap DIY buttons on it... Sorry, I am really not.

 

As for the opinion, I have read that NFB-10 is not better than O2/ODAC several times... I don't expect it to be really better then. Maybe it is a bit but it won't justify the price at all for me.

 

There is another version that could actually be better: http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/Reference10/RE10EN.htm

but is out of my budget.

 

 

That NFB 10.1 is ugly as SCHIIT......

post #679 of 10101
There is only one thing I agree with Rusta about and that is AGD stuff looks really bad, like barely held together, nomenclature amateurishly painted on, buttons and seams not lining up quite right among others.

The product looks DIY like it was made in someone's garage, not a manufacturing facility.
post #680 of 10101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

There is only one thing I agree with Rusta about and that is AGD stuff looks really bad, like barely held together, nomenclature amateurishly painted on, buttons and seams not lining up quite right among others.

The product looks DIY like it was made in someone's garage, not a manufacturing facility.

And is outdated within a month or 2.

post #681 of 10101
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

And is outdated within a month or 2.

 

Outdated - you mean like there are a lot of revisions of their products?

post #682 of 10101
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustA View Post

 

Outdated - you mean like there are a lot of revisions of their products?

It seems as if as soon as your 10.5 goes out the door an 10.6 is ready for release.

post #683 of 10101
I never once mentioned the NFB version. I did however, mention the 1704 chip version several times in fact. And that would leave only the Ref 10.32 version-sorry I didn't think I would need to spell that out for you. I appreciate the links and pictures of the lower end models that have nothing to do with the product I was talking about though. wink.gif

My Reference 9, C-2 SA, and C-2.1 however all had incredible build quality. However my more recent SA 2 dac definitely seemed compromised by comparison, so maybe the non-flagships have taken a turn for the worse lately. Not entirely surprising at the rate they keep spitting these thing out lately...

-Daniel
Edited by BournePerfect - 3/7/13 at 1:56pm
post #684 of 10101
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post

I never once mentioned the NFB version. I did however, mention the 1704 chip version several times in fact. And that would leave only the Ref 10.32 version-sorry I didn't think I would need to spell that out for you. I appreciate the links and pictures of the lower end models that have nothing to do with the product I was talking about though. wink.gif

My Reference 9, C-2 SA, and C-2.1 however all had incredible build quality. However my more recent SA 2 dac definitely seemed compromised by comparison, so maybe the non-flagships have taken a turn for the worse lately. Not entirely surprising at the rate they keep spitting these thing out lately...

-Daniel

 

You're talking like I should be an expert on Audio GD stuff... "1704 chip version", LOL. If you have a look at their website, there are about 30 different versions with the same crappy look, that's all I have ever cared about until now. rolleyes.gif


Edited by RustA - 3/7/13 at 2:02pm
post #685 of 10101
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

In my opinion, if you prefer a warmer analog sound, then you should choose a warm-tilted headphone. Buying a headphone of a different type and then trying to "change it" with upstream electronics is like putting the carrot before the horse - you'll just go around and around in circles never ontaining what youre looking for.

This is what im talking about. Short of getting a tube amp or a SS amp with distortion "engineered in", why not just get a headphone that meets your needs and pair it with your excellent V200?

 

Well, as I said, I am also considering the LCD-3, and since I love the 2 I'm sure I'll love the 3. But with all the positive praise for the 800 recently I am seriously looking into them. I'm aware that they aren't the same signature which I've come to love but to be honest I'm open to try something new. Frankly, I want the same quality I have now with more detail and a bigger soundstage, and am willing to try a new signature. I have read a bit on the HE-6 and am not sure I'd like it, so unless someone can suggest a different headphone around these prices I am going for one of those two. I appreciate your concern. Thank you. tongue.gif

post #686 of 10101

Not enough inputs/outputs for what? You also speak as if you've listened to the Bifrost/Asgard 2. You're looking at a very limited market if your budget is $1000. Do you even have a reason why you 'require' 192? What exactly do you 'mean' by 'performance?' Why does aesthetics matter so much at this price point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustA View Post

 

Bifrost and Asgard 2 over O2/ODAC? No, thanks... Not enough inputs/outputs, no better performance. I need something that is good enough to justify its price.

 

O2/ODAC is 300USD. I am expecting the 1000USD to offer me ALL I am looking for - versatility (inputs/outputs, at least 24/192 PCM over USB), better performance, look.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

That NFB 10.1 is ugly as SCHIIT......

Hey! Schiit doesn't look bad :(

post #687 of 10101

Going to be honest, LCD3 isn't worth the price if you have a limited budget, and if you're looking for more detail and soundstage. :| Though the 3 seems to have more depth and better imaging and separation, it's not going to be much different than your 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deverica Wolf View Post

 

Well, as I said, I am also considering the LCD-3, and since I love the 2 I'm sure I'll love the 3. But with all the positive praise for the 800 recently I am seriously looking into them. I'm aware that they aren't the same signature which I've come to love but to be honest I'm open to try something new. Frankly, I want the same quality I have now with more detail and a bigger soundstage, and am willing to try a new signature. I have read a bit on the HE-6 and am not sure I'd like it, so unless someone can suggest a different headphone around these prices I am going for one of those two. I appreciate your concern. Thank you. tongue.gif

post #688 of 10101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls Generation View Post

Not enough inputs/outputs for what? You also speak as if you've listened to the Bifrost/Asgard 2. You're looking at a very limited market if your budget is $1000. Do you even have a reason why you 'require' 192? What exactly do you 'mean' by 'performance?' Why does aesthetics matter so much at this price point?

 

Hey! Schiit doesn't look bad :(

 

I don¨t have to give you any explanations... I clearly stated what I want and I surely have my reasons.

post #689 of 10101

What you need to do right now is to give suggested gear a good listen before dismissing it off as not having 'better performance' whatever that means. You'll never find something that'll satisfy you if you keep going back to the O2/ODAC is best, in terms of sonic performance, charade.

 

You can't measure effortlessness, emotion, imaging, separation, etc. What does this mean? This means you should stop being a closed-minded objectivist, and start to appreciate the music as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustA View Post

 

I don¨t have to give you any explanations... I clearly stated what I want and I surely have my reasons.


Edited by Girls Generation - 3/7/13 at 2:22pm
post #690 of 10101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls Generation View Post

What you need to do right now is to give suggested gear a good listen before dismissing it off as not having 'better performance' whatever that means. You'll never find something that'll satisfy you if you keep going back to the O2/ODAC is best, in terms of sonic performance, charade.

 

I don't have a chance to listen to US-exclusive products since I am located in Europe...

 

By the way, as I said several times, I am not interested in separate amp and DAC... I want all-in-one solution.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread