^^^ Yeah I have a bifrost/lyr combo and don't like the HD-800's at all with the combo. When I first plugged the Senns into my new Invicta DAC HP outs a couple weeks ago, the Senns quickly became my favorite headphones ever. Not that it's a fair comparison of course.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 2/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- my new HD800's - buy expensive balanced XLR female cable to try $15K preamp or buy dedicated... Last post on 4/15/14 at 10:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HELP! Suggestions for Sennheiser HD800 - HDVD800 or WA22? Last post on 4/15/14 at 8:21pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Trying out Headphones Last post on 4/11/14 at 3:17am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- REVIEW - HiFiMan HE-560 Planar Magnetic Headphones - Stock Headphone Impressions here, No Mods... Last post on Yesterday at 9:00 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best "You Are There" Headphones.... Sennheiser HD 800s? Last post on 3/29/14 at 1:51pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
I have had these now for a few months. I heard they had a very bass orientated sound but not so much that it ruins everything else. When i first purchased these i was a bit confused as to why they...
I bought a pair of HM5s about 6 months ago. They give you absolutely great sound for under $150 but I ran into a big problem. Both sides where the slider connects to the headphones started to...
First a bit of background on my experiences with headphone amps. I have tried the Fiio E17, Objective 2, the 2.3W amp built into my laptop, my Yamaha receiver's headphone out and a cheap $40...
I bought these cans 2 years ago and sold them to get the ATH-M50, which then lead me into the audio world. Overall these are good portable headphones with great build quality. The sound, however,...
The Sennheiser Momentum On Ear is bursting with goodness. Nice looks, sound, and great value to go with it. Now, Let's go straight into it! These look so phenomenal, with all that alcantara...
The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread - Page 29post #421 of 99923/1/13 at 8:11am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #422 of 99923/1/13 at 3:33pm
I have been a long time HD800 fan. First with the DNA Sonett. then I added the Phonitor but now I wonna plug here the First Watt F3 with HD800. Yeah, it is a speaker amp and yeah I am feeding it off speaker taps, but it sounds quite nice.Dead quiet and the defintion is superb. And nice bass to top thing off. Fun times!post #423 of 99923/1/13 at 3:37pmQuote:Originally Posted by Cante Ista
I have been a long time HD800 fan. First with the DNA Sonett. then I added the Phonitor but now I wonna plug here the First Watt F3 with HD800. Yeah, it is a speaker amp and yeah I am feeding it off speaker taps, but it sounds quite nice.Dead quiet and the defintion is superb. And nice bass to top thing off. Fun times!
What preamp - m51?post #424 of 99923/1/13 at 4:02pmQuote:
Well, I had a budget and I had to start somewhere. I haven't heard "Music" for around 12 years or so. Last night the tubes started to break in and softened up the highs a great deal. The CD harshness went away and everything sounded "Musical". But somethingr weird happened, I stopped playback for about twenty minutes and now the music is on hiatus again. 70 hrs of tube break-in and counting. Less than a hundred for the full rig. So I have a ways to go before everything settles in. Still, I really want to know what happened. The space was reduced but the harshness was completely gone and punch came out to play.... Then it was gone. I was expecting the tubes/rig had hit its stride and then the space to come out as more time was put on. It hasn't yet. I'll have to check things tonightpost #425 of 99923/1/13 at 4:14pmpost #426 of 99923/1/13 at 4:22pmQuote:
PM coming..post #427 of 99923/1/13 at 4:43pmpost #428 of 99923/1/13 at 5:46pmQuote:Originally Posted by Solude
The problem with this theory is then it would have also occurred on our previous HD800 purchases as well. The fact I went into this expecting the HD800 to be sold off again and an HE-6 to be brought in would suggest I was wired to dislike the HD800 ;)
On the gear argument... I can't imagine everyone since 19000+ happened to change their rig in a way favourable to the HD800 while optimizing for another can, LCD-3 in my case. Especially when many of us are were previously using the gear early HD800 owners are currently using and didn't like it.
For me my previous two tries were...
Stello DA220 MkII > B22 > HD800
W4S DAC-2 > Apex Peak > HD800
On both rigs I thought the LCD-2 Rev1 and then LCD-3 were better everywhere. Staging included because though huge and well placed, those times the sound was so distant. My notes literally refer to it as elevator music, completely void of life or engagement.
Now I have the PWD2 > Soloist > HD800 and it wasn't even funny how fast the LCD-2 got curbed. The bass is propulsive, mids are warm and the treble isn't hot in the least. And the presentation is laser focused and forward. Dark tunes are dark, bright ones tolerable. Wouldn't even dream of modding these to reduce the treble. I listen to music mostly falling into the 'rock' overarching genre for reference.
What ever the reason... this pair isn't leaving :p
All the things you said about the HD800 vs LCD2 I felt with all my pairs of HD800s.
Another point, I very clearly remember people saying exactly what you're saying about their own pairs since SN # 9000+. Just last year, the 14000 and above were the golden batch, and every year it changes to become whatever people are getting at the time. It's been pretty funny to watch.
My answer is your gear and preferences are what's causing this sudden change of heart. I'm also not ruling out the possibility that you have a good pair. There are always variances in individual units among headphones.post #429 of 99923/1/13 at 5:59pm
Let's also consider that Senn has in the past changed the HD600 and HD650 since their release so it's not unheard of for Senn to change a product post launch. The so called right to change without notice clause.post #430 of 99923/1/13 at 6:22pmpost #431 of 99923/1/13 at 6:58pmpost #432 of 99923/1/13 at 7:45pm
I doubt a stealth tweak from Sennheiser could make someone go from disliking the HD800 to singing its praises. It's more plausible that upstream components are responsible.post #433 of 99923/1/13 at 7:57pm
- The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 1 minute ago
- › Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Appreciation Society 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › Red Wine Audio Bellina PRO-HPA+. Battery operated Tube DAC /... 2 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 3 minutes ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 3 minutes ago
- › Help with a few options (HE400 vs. 2900 vs. X1 - - Lyr vs. ALO Pan Am) 3 minutes ago
- › $2.50 CD player sounds better than my iPod. 4 minutes ago
- › Diving into the headphone world! => Help 4 minutes ago
- › Can Con 4! Sydney, Australia Meet! 4 minutes ago
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by LaPierre
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob