^^^ Yeah I have a bifrost/lyr combo and don't like the HD-800's at all with the combo. When I first plugged the Senns into my new Invicta DAC HP outs a couple weeks ago, the Senns quickly became my favorite headphones ever. Not that it's a fair comparison of course.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 2/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser's Own Balanced Cables for HD 600/650, HD 700, and HD 800 Available This Week Last post on Today at 12:09 pm in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- Not expensive cable for Sennheiser HD 800 Last post on 12/6/13 at 8:15am in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Ranking of 17 DACs and DAC Configurations Last post on Today at 12:08 pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Yet another HD800 thread... Last post on 12/10/13 at 12:41pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- LCD-3's and Woo WA22....WOW! Last post on 12/3/13 at 11:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/5/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
first thing first , if you have doubts , please let me clear them , these are some of the best $20 phones in this world . secondly , thanks to razzer001 , thanks man ,...
OVERVIEW The Effect Studio Thor Silver IEM Upgrade cable is the new flagship made from quad-braided pure UPOCC silver that has been cryo treated and put together with Cardas silver solder. The...
So, I've owned the 4.A and 4.ai as well as the ER4S and wanted to try something different. In retrospect, I almost pulled the trigger on the Noble 4, but I recall that the infamous dip with the...
These hurt my head almost right away. The good sound quality is not noticeable when my ears and head hurts. Having said that, the price is low and if you don't like them then just return them.
This will be a short review based on maybe on 12-15 hours of use. If you think that's not long enough you can skip it. I was a bit worried that this would be some cheap gimmicky toy amp because...
The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread - Page 29post #421 of 68623/1/13 at 8:11am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #422 of 68623/1/13 at 3:33pm
I have been a long time HD800 fan. First with the DNA Sonett. then I added the Phonitor but now I wonna plug here the First Watt F3 with HD800. Yeah, it is a speaker amp and yeah I am feeding it off speaker taps, but it sounds quite nice.Dead quiet and the defintion is superb. And nice bass to top thing off. Fun times!post #423 of 68623/1/13 at 3:37pmQuote:Originally Posted by Cante Ista
I have been a long time HD800 fan. First with the DNA Sonett. then I added the Phonitor but now I wonna plug here the First Watt F3 with HD800. Yeah, it is a speaker amp and yeah I am feeding it off speaker taps, but it sounds quite nice.Dead quiet and the defintion is superb. And nice bass to top thing off. Fun times!
What preamp - m51?post #424 of 68623/1/13 at 4:02pmQuote:
Well, I had a budget and I had to start somewhere. I haven't heard "Music" for around 12 years or so. Last night the tubes started to break in and softened up the highs a great deal. The CD harshness went away and everything sounded "Musical". But somethingr weird happened, I stopped playback for about twenty minutes and now the music is on hiatus again. 70 hrs of tube break-in and counting. Less than a hundred for the full rig. So I have a ways to go before everything settles in. Still, I really want to know what happened. The space was reduced but the harshness was completely gone and punch came out to play.... Then it was gone. I was expecting the tubes/rig had hit its stride and then the space to come out as more time was put on. It hasn't yet. I'll have to check things tonightpost #425 of 68623/1/13 at 4:14pmpost #426 of 68623/1/13 at 4:22pmQuote:
PM coming..post #427 of 68623/1/13 at 4:43pmpost #428 of 68623/1/13 at 5:46pmQuote:Originally Posted by Solude
The problem with this theory is then it would have also occurred on our previous HD800 purchases as well. The fact I went into this expecting the HD800 to be sold off again and an HE-6 to be brought in would suggest I was wired to dislike the HD800 ;)
On the gear argument... I can't imagine everyone since 19000+ happened to change their rig in a way favourable to the HD800 while optimizing for another can, LCD-3 in my case. Especially when many of us are were previously using the gear early HD800 owners are currently using and didn't like it.
For me my previous two tries were...
Stello DA220 MkII > B22 > HD800
W4S DAC-2 > Apex Peak > HD800
On both rigs I thought the LCD-2 Rev1 and then LCD-3 were better everywhere. Staging included because though huge and well placed, those times the sound was so distant. My notes literally refer to it as elevator music, completely void of life or engagement.
Now I have the PWD2 > Soloist > HD800 and it wasn't even funny how fast the LCD-2 got curbed. The bass is propulsive, mids are warm and the treble isn't hot in the least. And the presentation is laser focused and forward. Dark tunes are dark, bright ones tolerable. Wouldn't even dream of modding these to reduce the treble. I listen to music mostly falling into the 'rock' overarching genre for reference.
What ever the reason... this pair isn't leaving :p
All the things you said about the HD800 vs LCD2 I felt with all my pairs of HD800s.
Another point, I very clearly remember people saying exactly what you're saying about their own pairs since SN # 9000+. Just last year, the 14000 and above were the golden batch, and every year it changes to become whatever people are getting at the time. It's been pretty funny to watch.
My answer is your gear and preferences are what's causing this sudden change of heart. I'm also not ruling out the possibility that you have a good pair. There are always variances in individual units among headphones.post #429 of 68623/1/13 at 5:59pm
Let's also consider that Senn has in the past changed the HD600 and HD650 since their release so it's not unheard of for Senn to change a product post launch. The so called right to change without notice clause.post #430 of 68623/1/13 at 6:22pmpost #431 of 68623/1/13 at 6:58pmpost #432 of 68623/1/13 at 7:45pm
I doubt a stealth tweak from Sennheiser could make someone go from disliking the HD800 to singing its praises. It's more plausible that upstream components are responsible.post #433 of 68623/1/13 at 7:57pmThis thread is getting lame. Here's the thread discussing new vs. old HD800 conspiracies. Use it:
- The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Best albums of 2013! A different take on this! 26 seconds ago
- › Grado Bushmills X - Grado's first closed-back headphone? 52 seconds ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 1 minute ago
- › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2, plus comparisons (Added ER4S) 2 minutes ago
- › Nuforce MMP Review 2 minutes ago
- › EHHA Rev A - Interest Thread 2 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX50 Thread (New^4 firmware update! V1.2.2) 2 minutes ago
- › IC: Extremely Rare NAD RP18 (Fostex T50v1 OEM) (Mylar version) 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 3 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz Delta by suman134
- › Effect Audio Thor cable by average_joe
- › Heir Audio Tzar 350 by alpha421
- › Panasonic RP-HC720-K Over Ear Headphones Noise Canceling 95% by oostrov
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by tdockweiler
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by lexangl
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by TThorsen
- › EB92 In-Ear MicroFit Monitors by MadMusicJunkie
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by xoriac
- › Roland RH-200 Monitor Headphones by IEMagnet01
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe