- 1,677 Posts. Joined 10/2008
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 2/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- my new HD800's - buy expensive balanced XLR female cable to try $15K preamp or buy dedicated... Last post on 4/15/14 at 10:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HELP! Suggestions for Sennheiser HD800 - HDVD800 or WA22? Last post on 4/15/14 at 8:21pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Trying out Headphones Last post on 4/11/14 at 3:17am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- REVIEW - HiFiMan HE-560 Planar Magnetic Headphones - Stock Headphone Impressions here, No Mods... Last post on Today at 12:07 am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best "You Are There" Headphones.... Sennheiser HD 800s? Last post on 3/29/14 at 1:51pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
First I’d like to thank HiFiMAN for sending me their new HM-700 DAP and RE-400B (balanced version of the RE-400) bundle for me to review. I have always wondered about the balanced players that...
Foreword Chinese/HK headphone manufacturer Astrotec is known for its value-priced products (beginning with their lauded AM90), and they've stuck to their guns by pricing the AX35 (and its near...
When I bought these headphones about 2 months ago, I didn't expect much and I bought them without trying them out. It was an impulse buy to be honest, they were on a considerable discount and I...
I have had these now for a few months. I heard they had a very bass orientated sound but not so much that it ruins everything else. When i first purchased these i was a bit confused as to why they...
I bought a pair of HM5s about 6 months ago. They give you absolutely great sound for under $150 but I ran into a big problem. Both sides where the slider connects to the headphones started to...
The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread - Page 263post #3931 of 100087/25/13 at 7:33amI know that equal loudness graph, just that it's not generally apply for HD800 sound signature.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3932 of 100087/25/13 at 7:35am
One of the greatest strengths of the HD800s, imo, is their ability to sound great a very low volumes. Other headphones I've had couldn't do that-I'd say the T1 was the worst culprit in that regard. I do feel part of this comes down to amp choice though, as I felt the need to keep turning up the m-Stage-probably because it was slightly too warm for my tastes, and I felt I was missing transparency and details compared to other amps I've owned.
And yes, the HD800 bass is excellent even at lower volumes-speaking of quality over quantity here...
-Danielpost #3933 of 100087/25/13 at 8:12amQuote:Originally Posted by BournePerfect
Personally I've never heard any Shure headphone, so I'm not sure who you're directing that at.
OTOH, I've never seen someone get away with as much bias and disguised attacks against a headphone of all things, let alone in it's own appreciation thread, as I have you. But hey at least you own it now, amirite?
And still comparing the 940s to the HD800s - really??
Edited by preproman - 7/25/13 at 8:14ampost #3934 of 100087/25/13 at 8:30am
ahh you need someone to be devils advocate guys, otherwise threads become boring. Especially appreciation ones ;)
Heres a pic of my latest HD800 amp. Smooth as butter and enough bass to cause a prolapse!post #3936 of 100087/25/13 at 8:40ampost #3937 of 100087/25/13 at 8:51am
I'd defo go for it, they are pure quality. The AU 101 and my 505 make ideal headphone amps as they are low powered but with all of the Sansui goodness!post #3939 of 100087/25/13 at 9:16am
I've never once suggested/recommended raising the volume to bring up the bass on the HD800.
Not one single time.
But I have mentioned how well the HD800s perform at low volume listening-even the bass. Mentioned it a few times in fact.
Also, if you're still having treble issues with the HD800-I'd look further up the chain and find the culprit.
-Danielpost #3940 of 100087/25/13 at 9:31amI always thought that issues with low level listening were due to the amp and not the headphone. I haven't heard them all but better amps have usually solved the case with low level listening not sounding as good as louder volumes.post #3941 of 100087/25/13 at 9:54amQuote:post #3942 of 100087/25/13 at 9:56am
The HD-800 I found actually has good bass. My initial impression of it was not enough bass, but after some hours on them I found the bass to be good. I also own a pair of HE-500s and the bass on the two are quite comparable. The 800s' bass is a bit thin, and the 500s' bass has a bit more rumble, but the difference is very subtle and most of the time I don't even notice the difference.post #3943 of 100087/25/13 at 9:56am
It shouldn't have anything to do with the amp.
Higher volumes do sound better than lower volumes and the equal loudness curve is the biggest reason. This is why many vintage stereos have a "loudness button" and newer receivers have a "midnight mode."
Depending on how loud you normally listen, your like/dislike of an amp or headphone can vary greatly. This is yet another reason why people hear and react differently to the same components - and why precise level matching is critical when comparing two components. A difference of one decibel might not be noticeable as a difference in volume to the ear, but in a side-by-side comparison, it's enough to make one amp/DAC/headphone sound more dynamic, airy, 3D, etc. than another.
This is reason enough for me to disregard any subjective review of an upstream component - a view headphone reviews with a grain of salt.post #3945 of 100087/25/13 at 10:15amQuote:Originally Posted by Jd007
The HD-800 I found actually has good bass. My initial impression of it was not enough bass, but after some hours on them I found the bass to be good. I also own a pair of HE-500s and the bass on the two are quite comparable. The 800s' bass is a bit thin, and the 500s' bass has a bit more rumble, but the difference is very subtle and most of the time I don't even notice the difference.
I find that the HE-500's are a bit thicker in the mid-bass and have a more "meaty" presentation in the bass overall, but that the HD800 has notably more extension and more dynamic range across the sub-bass to upper bass. I find it a cleaner and more exciting presentation overall, but I do sometimes hanker for the lovely timbre the HE-500 bass exhibits with certain kick drums.
- The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Help: Mobile office setup? 2 minutes ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 2 minutes ago
- › [DIY] Takstar Pro 80 - Removable cable mod. 3 minutes ago
- › iFi products Discussion Thread iTUBE will be out soon!! 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K812 Pro 5 minutes ago
- › Charlotte, NC Meet: April 19th 2014 6 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Doppios! pg1197 !!.KEF... 6 minutes ago
- › Top 10 Most Downloaded HDtracks Albums (1/1/14 – 3/31/14) 9 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 9 minutes ago
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by Bonny
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob